Leaving hobbies behind

Gwendolyn

No not Hobby vans…. hobbies / pastimes / interests. What do you do? What compromises do you have to make to pursue the Motorhoming pastime / passion?

Some activities will “travel” with you – walking / kayaking / swimming / painting / church architecture / reading / guitar [and other ‘portable’ musical instrument] playing / fishing / jogging / cycling / knitting - to think of a random few ….. but some hobbies have to be put on hold.

Or maybe Motorhoming is an all consuming pastime?

Much as I love Motorhoming, I do have pangs sometimes for the “stuff” – my other interests – that I have to leave behind / cannot do whilst away / miss because I am away, usually for around 7 / 8 weeks at a time outside the UK. Not that I’d want not to do it. But Motorhoming is one hobby of mine amongst a few.

Having just booked a tunnel crossing for January [no return yet booked] I am aware that by doing so I will miss some stuff that I’d like to do… choices….. decisions….

How do you all cope?

[i know this topic might sit more easily in Chatterbox, or also in the Caravan and Camping sections as the question applies to all … but this part of the forum seems the most active.]

It's tricky keeping a veg plot going! and we've finally decided that we need a grasscutting service when we go away, otherwise it's a real mess after 6 weeks away in spring and another 6 weeks in late summer.

I've been wondering about that scheme where people with gardens that they can't give enough attention come to an agreement with someone who wants a garden, to share the effort and the produce. I think it's called "Landshare". Has anyone any experience of this?

Otherwise, all of my hobbies travel pretty well,

regards

alan b

As you say most of the active activities you can do whilst away, I have to leave the Lathe behind as its too big to travel plus all the tools. I could get a smaller lathe but them I dont think they would appreciate the wood shavings on site, and might complain about the extra electricity used. My Wife takes her Quilting with her well some of it anyway, sometimes some of the card making comes especially the sewing cards, then has to catch up when she gets home finishing them all off.

Yes I have heard where you can share your garden, but I think it is so that people can have an allotment.

We live in farming area, but the only way we will get an allotment, is by being buried beneath it. The current allotment site will be the graveyard, when they run out of space, sort of recycling.

I think I would get in touch with the local council and ask them, as certainly in this area, the waiting list seems to be 20 years + and I'll either be dead by then or past caring or unable. :-D

Gwendolyn - 2012-11-04 4:47 PM

Ah yes.. allotments / gardens. OH's area of interest. Do you get someone in to care for it? Or let the thing go wild?

Let it go wild!....how dare you suggest such a thing with 300 sq metres. Seriously it all depends on the time of year you go away. The greenhouse is always the most difficult thing to manage in the growing season.

When we go away I have to leave my jigsaw puzzles at home as they're too bulky to go with us, even thought I've got a proper jigsaw board/storage case it takes up too much room, not to mention the actual jigsaws themselves! I might get some smaller ones which can be done on a tray or something just to get my 'fix'!

Another thing I have to 'give up' when away abroad is this forum due to normally having no internet access! Now that IS a real nuisance ... nothing like being able to tease you lot with where we are and what we've been up to, and see who's been scrapping! :D

Car boot sales - we go to them quite regularly at home (twice a week usually) but when away abroad they are very few and far between.

Although I have to 'forego' stuff when away, of course we do other things that we don't normally do at home such as cycling and canoeing and we're usually too knackered by the end of the day to be bothered with hobbies anyway. *-)

David,

Surely dependent on the site you could go back to nature and rig up a lathe like the bodgers used to do. A rough and ready plank pivoted at one end connected to a bit of string wrapped around you workpice and then up to a whippy sapling The piece is held between a couple of posts driven into the ground with a large spike in each of them to act as centers. One foot on the plank and the string whizzes up and down spinning the work but you can only turn on the downstroke.

Barring the centres the rest is left behind as you move on.

No I have never tried it.

Our travelling hobbies are reading playing cards and storing memories sometimes with with the aid of a camera and as ever talking to people we meet.

The heavy duty hobbies just get left behind.

Mel B - 2012-11-04 10:12 PM

When we go away I have to leave my jigsaw puzzles at home as they're too bulky to go with us, even thought I've got a proper jigsaw board/storage case it takes up too much room, not to mention the actual jigsaws themselves! I might get some smaller ones which can be done on a tray or something just to get my 'fix'!

Another thing I have to 'give up' when away abroad is this forum due to normally having no internet access! Now that IS a real nuisance ... nothing like being able to tease you lot with where we are and what we've been up to, and see who's been scrapping! :D

Car boot sales - we go to them quite regularly at home (twice a week usually) but when away abroad they are very few and far between.

Although I have to 'forego' stuff when away, of course we do other things that we don't normally do at home such as cycling and canoeing and we're usually too knackered by the end of the day to be bothered with hobbies anyway. *-)

Mel - there really are Gazillions of car-boot sales "en Continent"....in France they call them "Vide Grenier".

Kathy even often plans our route/stays based on where the biggies are. And the biggies are BIG.

Here's just one example of a website that advertises loads of them:

http://vide-greniers.org/

BGD - 2012-11-04 11:35 PM

Mel B - 2012-11-04 10:12 PM

Mel - there really are Gazillions of car-boot sales "en Continent"....in France they call them "Vide Grenier".

Kathy even often plans our route/stays based on where the biggies are. And the biggies are BIG.

Great web site, do you know of one in spain please

Hi

We are Archers we tried for the first time this year taking our kit with us on a trip to Holland, we emailed a Dutch club and were invited to shoot with them, it was a great way of meeting the locals and hearing about the sport in another country, we hope to do the same in France next year and when we can take longer periods aboard, Spain.

You immediately have something in common and it breaks the ice.

I am not sure what your hobby is but perhaps you could do the same sort of thing.

Speaking a bit of the lingo helps.

(lol)

BGD - 2012-11-04 11:35 PM

Yup, I know about Vide Greniers - but they aren't anything like as prolific as they are here and s*ds law will ensure that we aren't near any of those that are being held! We did find a fantastic one in Holland though and brought loads of stuff back with us. :D

Thanks for the link, I'll have a shuftie! :-D

This thread hit me soon as looking at it. I am 79 and up till Dec'2010 was a fit man, my hobbies were diy, camping via caravan which we bought new in 2010 and changing to m/h in May this year. Other pastimes which is the garden where it has to be kept under control there being 103 trees/bushes on the perimiter and other plots and planters. More than enough when you have the m/h bug. Then January this year had appendix op where they had to go through centre of stomach causing mayhem to our routine then a double wammy in July a op which I had in 2001 (dynisis of spine) the screws came loose and they had to not only take them all out but the blocks as well, so here I am can hardly walk even with sticks. Had to get guy in to trim hedges at £550 !,to think I could do that easy last year.

To morrow going to have a go with m/h down to Hayling Island for day, hope weather is reasonable. PS the m/h spent about 6 weeks at dealers having water infress repaired so have done about 500 miles since buying it, where as in past we would have done at least 4/5000 miles in year..

Pastiche, your post is a timely reminder that I shouldn’t repine about the things I cannot do, but jolly well get on with the things I can do. I hope that things look up for you soon.

The reason for my OP was that I have been reflecting that the freedom we have had over the last two years to travel in the motorhome more often, and for longer periods, has curtailed the time I have to spend on other activities, and I was curious as to what compromises others made.

And it’s obvious from the replies - thank you - that we have to make compromises with some interests to indulge the motorhoming one. A diverse set of hobbies mentioned, and some inventive solutions as well.

I am not interested in any of the technical aspects of a motorhome – just love what I see as the “romance” of the freedom of the road in a Mr Toad-ish way. So the motorhome per se is not what does it for me.

Mel B reminds me that when we are away we do other stuff – cycling in our case. I rather think our kayaking days are over [we used to do a lot of that when camping when our daughter was with us] - but I have been trying persuade OH to buy an inflatable one.

Vide Greniers – love them [thanks BGD for the link to that website]. But we end up bringing home more “junk”, and are not here long enough to do any selling at Flea Markets – another hobby on hold; as is going to Antique Fairs / Flea markets here, and buying stuff on ebay.

Someone mentioned ‘speaking the lingo’ – improving my spoken French is an interest in itself – trying speak more idiomatically as well as grammatically. But while I am busy doing that “over there”, I am neglecting my own language [Cymraeg] “over here”.

Books I leave behind, but take my Kindle. Another compromise.

Involvement in a village project can be accommodated as I take my lap top with all the relevant documents on it, and am in contact with the rest of the group. I miss the stimulating cut and thrust of the meetings though.

But there two things I really miss, and there is no compromise:

– my piano cannot be transported

– I miss theatrical productions which can never be replicated.

Any suggestions for inspired solutions gratefully received.

Gwendolyn - 2012-11-07 12:42 AM

But there two things I really miss, and there is no compromise:

– I miss theatrical productions which can never be replicated.

Any suggestions for inspired solutions gratefully received.

I see your problem with the piano, I have some suggestions which i am sure you will have already thought of -

What about one of those electic keyboards, that you could play on, I think you would be in quite some demand on rallies. You can even get headphones to stop the sound from escaping.

Again i am not sure if the sort of camping you do is long term in one place or hopping from venue to venue, if on a Rally again is it worth seeing if others might like to get together for a little Am Dram. The odd christmas panto to entertain your fellows. If you went prepared with scripts it might be of some interest.

(lol)

Gwendolyn - 2012-11-07 12:42 AM

That's easily sorted - get yourself down to a car boot sale or have a look in the local paper ads (or even Ebay for your area) and you'll be able to pick up a keyboard. They are cheap as chips second hand and very light - there are various sizes available, indeed when I was pianoless I bought one with touch sensitive keys so you get the fell like a piano, coupled with pedals it was very good indeed (cost me a packet at the time). Mine works off a transformer (12v) or batteries.

We have often come across people who take accordions away with them so you might be able to set up your own band! :D

Caroline, Mel B….. sheer genius. Thanks. Now why didn’t I think of that oh so obvious solution to the piano problem! We bought keyboards for our daughter at one point, many, many moons ago, and I am pretty sure that they must have survived our house move 6 years since. So they must be either in our attic, or in hers.

Admittedly they were not sophisticated [only 4 octaves if memory serves] and weighted keys would be nice… but they’ll do for now. I’ll start hunting.

But no “bands”! I play for my own pleasure alone i.e. badly. Remember E Morecambe: “ I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order”? I don’t even play the right ones - definitely need to take headphones!

And I think I might persevere with the inflatable kayak idea.

Thanks for the Am Dram suggestion but we like to move on a lot, and we don’t participate in rallies. Although I have been known to direct the occasional offering for Am Dram in the past, I’m afraid that my interest now is of the ‘sit in a good seat and watch an excellent production’ variety. So missing seeing certain plays, with particular actors, is what I must accept, until I become too old / infirm to go motorhoming.

Good suggestion above though re jigsaws, for Mel.

Guest pelmetman
Get a Ukulele ;-)....................I find if I leave on view in the window I always have lots of space around me, works almost as well as the charcoal bbq :D

Archived