Leaving hobbies behind

Gwendolyn

pelmetman - 2012-11-07 4:44 PM

Get a Ukulele ;-)....................I find if I leave on view in the window I always have lots of space around me, works almost as well as the charcoal bbq :D

Would work for me thats for sure......"Whats the difference between a Uke and an onion?.....Nobody cries when you chop up a Uke.

Gwendolyn - 2012-11-07 4:35 PM

Caroline, Mel B….. sheer genius. Thanks. Now why didn’t I think of that oh so obvious solution to the piano problem! We bought keyboards for our daughter at one point, many, many moons ago, and I am pretty sure that they must have survived our house move 6 years since. So they must be either in our attic, or in hers.

Admittedly they were not sophisticated [only 4 octaves if memory serves] and weighted keys would be nice… but they’ll do for now. I’ll start hunting.....................

This any help? http://tinyurl.com/bwkdpfp

Thanks - I know about the jigsaw programmes already, in fact I have one that I can use my own pictures to make jigsaws from, the on-line ones are okay but not much use abroad unfortunately. You can't beat a 'real' jigsaw puzzle though ... nothing better than sitting down sorting out all the pieces then the sense of satisfaction when you finish it! :-D When I'm away I do a lot of puzzle books (logic puzzles) and they keep my occupied fortunately for quite a while so I don't end up taking a massive number with me so don't have lots to cart around.

Brian Kirby - 2012-11-07 6:58 PM

Caroline, Mel B….. sheer genius. Thanks. Now why didn’t I think of that oh so obvious solution to the piano problem! We bought keyboards for our daughter at one point, many, many moons ago, and I am pretty sure that they must have survived our house move 6 years since. So they must be either in our attic, or in hers.

Admittedly they were not sophisticated [only 4 octaves if memory serves] and weighted keys would be nice… but they’ll do for now. I’ll start hunting.....................

That looks really lovely. But looks expensive too - as it’s described as a “digital piano” as opposed to a keyboard. Thanks!

I think I'll seek out the old, basic keyboard to start with and see how I get on [haven't even told O/H yet that it’s another thing to be packed] and then .... maybe..... very tempting.

Gwendolyn - 2012-11-08 11:31 PM

Brian Kirby - 2012-11-07 6:58 PM

That looks really lovely. But looks expensive too - as it’s described as a “digital piano” as opposed to a keyboard. Thanks!

I think I'll seek out the old, basic keyboard to start with and see how I get on [haven't even told O/H yet that it’s another thing to be packed] and then .... maybe..... very tempting.

This one any good?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lujex-Roll-Up-Keyboard-Electronic-Instruments/dp/B005V69AUE

I think this is it being demonstrated on youtube:

Bruce - I thought you were musical! I've tried one of these before and they are horrible!

Much better to just get a basic keyboard - they don't have to cost the earth and there are loads on Ebay - just look in the local papers and you'll probably find one.

Or you could have a pink one!

Pink Keyboard

Mel B - 2012-11-09 12:04 AM

Bruce - I thought you were musical! I've tried one of these before and they are horrible!

Much better to just get a basic keyboard - they don't have to cost the earth and there are loads on Ebay - just look in the local papers and you'll probably find one.

Or you could have a pink one!

Pink Keyboard

Yes, but only if you use it's own built-in processor/amp/speaker.

The ( pun coming.......) key is to just use the keyboard part of the thing.

If you hook it up to (say) your laptop ( which usually have very good sound cards installed nowadays, instead of it's onboard "midi" processor, then you can output the sound from that laptop to go through your headphones, or your MH radio system.

Sorted!

Mel B - 2012-11-08 11:04 PM

My thoughts too, although I was going to phrase it less bluntly - you guys obviously know each other well and can "take liberties" as it were.

I bought one of those roll up things from Maplins [are we allowed to say that?] as, according to the salesman, it would suit my needs. It didn't, and back it went.

Have now found our daughter's old keyboard in the attic - amazing considering the piles of stuff up there - so I'll make room for that in future.

As far as the other ‘problem’ re hobbies is concerned – we have fitted in 1 event. Tonight we are off to see Jools Holland and his Rhythm and Blues Orchestra – an annual treat, and one I'd hate to miss.

Bruce - I wasn't on about the sound, I was on about the 'touch' you need to feel the keys 'moving' as you would with a piano, these jroll up ones are okay for kids to play about on etc, but not for a pianist. I also tried a similar Qwerty roll up keyboard a few years ago when I was looking to get one to go with my small net book (the keyboard was too small for me to use as a typist) but again as there wasn't any proper feedback from the keys it was not nice to use at all.

Gwendolyn - I'm pleased you've found your daughter's keyboard ... there'll be no stopping you now!!! :-D

Archived