Tyre Prices

starvin marvin

1footinthegrave - 2012-12-05 5:33 PM

Yes Brian, you obviously missed my later link ( just above ) from the AA, seems unless your a Jumbo Jet, or a F1 racing car it's a waste of time and money, I wonder if that's the case with my Glucosamine and Cod liver oil :-S

Yep, I hadn't read that far down at the time I replied to your first! :-)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1footinthegrave - 2012-12-05 5:33 PM

Yes Brian, you obviously missed my later link ( just above ) from the AA, seems unless your a Jumbo Jet, or a F1 racing car it's a waste of time and money, I wonder if that's the case with my Glucosamine and Cod liver oil :-S

By the look of your avitar . defo.

norm

The prices quoted are enough to make a grown man cry. I've just replaced our original tyres "Continentals" and paid $305 AU each,free fitting.

However in the gap between originals and the current we fitted, on dealer recommendation, Federals. We had been assured that they were excellent and never gave trouble. Our experience was that they were terrifying and unpredictable. Putting Contis on gave us back our giant go kart,with safe braking. Moral, don't save pennies at risk of your life.

As to nitrogen,when tyres were first made of synthetic rubber,second world war, they bled tiny amounts of air due to the more open cellular structure. In the late forties this problem this problem was solved by coating the interior of the carcass with a lick{tech term} of natural rubber, this ended the loss problem and only recently has monetary worry arisen. Pay all you like for the doubtful pleasures of nitrogen but it is a placebo. Does the UK have shopping channels on TV where smiling nonentities persuade people to buy what they don't need? Have they got to "Super Inorganic Nitrogen!" yet?

Archived