Forum Update today

Administrator

Hi everyone

Just to warn you we are doing some maintenance work on the forum today and so you may experience a small disruption in service around midday - shouldn't be for longer than 10 minutes

If you encounter any issues later on today when using the forum can you please post them on this thread with details of what happened, what you'd done to get to there, any error message & your browser and we'll jump on any gremlins - fingers crossed they'll not be any!

Thanks for your help :-)

Amanda

Web Team

Hi Amanda, thanks for keeping us informed.

I notice this afternoon that the "default" for multi-page threads has changed. Clicking on the thread title now goes to the beginning instead of the current page.

Is this deliberate, or has it just slipped through the net?

I can see how it might be useful to new readers to start at the beginning of a tale, but I suspect most of the traffic on here is from people who are following certain threads closely, and just want to see what's new.

Still it's no big deal - we can still click directly on the latest page instead of the title. At least one other forum does this and it's only a minor inconvenience.

Hi Tony & Brian

Thanks for the feedback you're right it is a slight change and it was brought about by sorting out an issue with pagination of threads so sorry for any confusion caused.

When you are on the top level page like this one - http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/3/ if you click the left link into the thread you'll go to the start of the thread, if you click the right side link you'll go to the last post, or if you click a specific page on the front list you'll go direct to that point

I hope that helps?

Thanks

Amanda :-)

OAL Moderator - 2012-11-27 4:59 PMHi Tony & Brian

Thanks for the feedback you're right it is a slight change and it was brought about by sorting out an issue with pagination of threads so sorry for any confusion caused.

When you are on the top level page like this one - http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/3/ if you click the left link into the thread you'll go to the start of the thread, if you click the right side link you'll go to the last post, or if you click a specific page on the front list you'll go direct to that point

I hope that helps?

Thanks

Amanda :-)

Thank you Amanda, but I mostly go in via "New Threads", which used to take one directly to the latest post, but now takes one to the OP, which seems illogical if one is seeking the latest posts. I agree one can get there, but one used to arrive there automatically. So to that extent the new arrangement involves more faff!

Brian I usually enter the thread as you do through New Threads. However, recently this has taken me to the last page but at the top of it, not the last post. I have just tried the electricity thread , clicked on the right and found myself on the last page but in the middle of it. Bit confusing!

I have also noticed that movement between threads or the reply menu is very slow today.

Hi Guys,

I'm one of the developers working for Amanda...

I hope you don't mind but I'm just replying to this thread on the LIVE site to test that I am redirected to the end of the thread. We have been working hard - testing the site prior to release and found the thread redirection working correctly...

Nothing like a live test however so...

... here goes - I'm going to hit the SUBMIT button now - where will I arrive?

Thanks,

Splinx

Okay...

...I appeared to arrive at the end of the thread correctly after pressing the SUBMIT button.

@Colin > please can you PM (private message) me the exact steps you went through to appear at the start of the post?

Thank you in advance for your trouble - we really are working hard to ensure that you can all continue to enjoy the forums.

Thanks,

Splinx

@ Brian - I understand your point about using other routes into the forum threads and arriving at the first page.

Again, thank you for taking the time to report this to us.

Could I please ask you to PM me or reply to this thread with the website links and sections of those web pages that you navigate in via...

I am thinking that we may quickly review those sections and either - make them navigate to the end of the thread by default, or look at the possibility of adding two buttons visitors to chose where they would like to go.

Thanks,

Splinx :)

I too always enter via the 'new threads' key.

Taking the 'Payload, who cares' thread which is now 8 pages long as an example it does not matter where I click to enter it I always end up on the first page.

Before yesterday I was always directed to the current page - ie page 8.

Does that help identify what has gone awry?

It's just not as user friendly as it was and if you can restore the way it used to work please we will all be happier little bunnies - and happy bunnies make happy postings!!

Splinx - 2012-11-28 9:31 AM

@ Brian - I understand your point about using other routes into the forum threads and arriving at the first page.

Again, thank you for taking the time to report this to us.

Could I please ask you to PM me or reply to this thread with the website links and sections of those web pages that you navigate in via...

I am thinking that we may quickly review those sections and either - make them navigate to the end of the thread by default, or look at the possibility of adding two buttons visitors to chose where they would like to go.

Thanks,

Hi Splinx, I'll try to explain.

I normally access threads by going to the Out and About webpage, then Motorhomes, then Motorhome Forums, then New Threads.

From there in it matters not whether I select the blue thread title link to the left, or the underlined green link to the right, what next appears is the first post of the first page.

I can then navigate to the last page by selecting "LAST", but then arrive at the top of the last page rather than at the last post.

If I post a reply to a string, the post itself does not appear after posting: instead the first post at the top of that page appears, so one has to scroll back down to check one's post.

All can be worked around, but it is not so convenient as the previous default, which was to open the string at the last post automatically, and to default to one's own post immediately after posting.

If it helps, I'm using a PC running Vista and IE 8 (Didn't like 9 :-|). Hope this makes sense! :-)

Splinx - 2012-11-28 9:31 AM

Thanks,

I find the default action in accessing the forums from the first page quite logical (i.e. a click on the left link takes me to the first post of the thread, a click on the right link takes me to the last post on the thread).

Brian's experience when using the "New Threads" route is repeated for me (Win7 IE9) but it would appear that the logical solution would be to replicate the action as above (since there is both a right and left link available even on the "New Threads" route)

Robinhood - 2012-11-28 1:21 PM...................Brian's experience when using the "New Threads" route is repeated for me (Win7 IE9) but it would appear that the logical solution would be to replicate the action as above (since there is both a right and left link available even on the "New Threads" route)

Except that I find that whichever "New Threads" link is selected, I still get taken to the first post on the first page. That is the opposite of the previous default, which I found much more logical, and much preferred.

I agree, Brian, and I think we are at cross-purposes.

My suggestion was back to "Splinx", in that I don't believe two buttons are required to fix your "issue", simply replicating the (different) actions of the right and left links of the "main" route, on the right and left links of the "new threads" route should suffice.

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to say a quick thank you to everyone for your feedback (here and via PMs).

We are able to now able to re-create the scenarios mentioned and are working together to review a secondary phase of updates to resolve the issues highlighted.

I will update you all once I have received further guidance.

Thank again,

SplinX

Splinx - 2012-11-29 2:05 PM

We are able to now able to re-create the scenarios mentioned and are working together to review a secondary phase of updates to resolve the issues highlighted.

SplinX

Many thanks for listening Splinx and the team, assuming you are not alone, and we look forward to discovering what the next round of enhancements and updates does!!

Hi Everyone,

We have a new update ready to roll-out which has passed our internal testing.

We are going to roll this out tomorrow morning so that we don't put your evening use of the forums at risk.

I am pleased to be able to let you all know that we have implemented all items in the fashion has requested on this thread - i.e. the two links (name to the start and the post to the end). These links will be available from the main forum listing as well as the new threads section.

I will give you all a heads-up when the roll-out is in place and, as always, welcome your feedback from this point.

Kind regards,

Splinx :-D

Thanks to all the tech guys the forum seems to be working perfectly this morning - left hand entry to the thread takes me to the first post, right hand to the final post - brilliant. I have experimented on IE9 and Firefox and both are working perfectly in this respect.

I just wish I could cure my inbox on IE9 as it continues to shoot to the bottom of the page. Firefox works fine.

Edit I started to write an edit here (after posting it went back to Brian's post, not mine below) then it suddenly lost my edit and decided I wanted to log out !!

Edit 2: This time it went back to Tracker's post! Is it me????

Hi Everyone,

The aforementioned update was rolled-out at approx. 9:30 this morning and all of our spoke tests have completed with success. FYI a spoke test is a quick, automated, test that runs through all code and checks that no immediate errors (like pages blowing up) are apparent.

Whilst we have already run additional manual checks, please can I ask you for your extremely valuable support. I would like to invite you all to ping me a message (or reply to this thread) if you see any odd behavour relating to forum hyperlinks or redirects. This would be specifically with regard to when you are navigating, searching or posting within the forums.

Many thanks,

Splinx.

Patricia - 2012-12-04 10:20 AM

I have already posted comments above if you can understand them!

I Patricia - I understand you completely :)

Firstly, the odd behaviour you experienced was probably relating to us actually rolling out the update when you were using the sytem. I appologise for this.

Great news that the post functionality is working better for you now.

The IE9 issue with the inbox is a new issue and will take your feedback back to management for their review and scheduling.

Thanks again,

Splinx

Splinx - 2012-12-04 10:27 AM

Patricia - 2012-12-04 10:20 AM

I have already posted comments above if you can understand them!

I Patricia - I understand you completely :)

Firstly, the odd behaviour you experienced was probably relating to us actually rolling out the update when you were using the sytem. I appologise for this.

Great news that the post functionality is working better for you now.

The IE9 issue with the inbox is a new issue and will take your feedback back to management for their review and scheduling.

Thanks again,

Splinx

Good job folks, it is now working perfectly for me. Many thanks.

Archived