Forum Update today

Administrator

Hi Splinx and thanks for the updates,

As you say a click in the left column on 'New Threads' takes you to the first post and the right column to the last but the problem I am having is trying to view the first post after opening through 'Motorhome Matters' or any other group. Then no matter which column I click I end up at the last post :-(

This is not the way it was before the updates and makes reading threads from MM very difficult, please can you help...

Keith.

Keithl - 2012-12-04 8:10 PM

As you say a click in the left column on 'New Threads' takes you to the first post and the right column to the last but the problem I am having is trying to view the first post after opening through 'Motorhome Matters' or any other group. Then no matter which column I click I end up at the last post :-(

This is not the way it was before the updates and makes reading threads from MM very difficult, please can you help...

Keith.

I concur with Keith's experience using both IE9 and Firefox although I never open threads by this method; I always use New Threads and that is working well now.

Keithl - 2012-12-04 8:10 PM

Keith.

I've confirmed this BUG and we will fix this later this week - sorry,

@ Patricia - thank you for your confirmation of this issue.

SplinX

colin - 2012-12-04 8:14 PM

All seems to be 'back to normal', so what was the point of the updates :D

No seriously thanks for getting it sorted.

I'm sorry that there are no stellar new features for you all - this maintenance update to ensure that the forums were more easily accessible from search engines and also managed to server the huge number of posts and threads that are now contained.

All I can say is that the direction that I have received from management is that you are all extremely important to OAL and that I am to ensure that your use of the forums is not adversely affected.

That's fine by me (and the team that I work with) because it's our pleasure of course :)

Thanks,

Splinx

@Keith & Patricia,

When viewing forum threads (not via search) the two links now behave as desired.

- Thread title -

links to the start of page one (if multiple pages) or the top of the thead (with only one page).

- Latest post -

Links to the last post.

Out of interest - we've checked the code logs and they show that prior to the update the bahavour wasn't behaving in quite this fashion but it's nice to think that this greater level of scrutiny is making for a better experience.

Thanks again,

Splinx

• 1 month later...

Patricia,

Finally got around to resolving the inbox issue you raised back in December, it's been on our list for sometime and I'm pleased to finally be able to release an update. :)

You should no longer have display issues when using IE8/9/10 when viewing your inbox.

Thanks for letting us know, we always welcome feedback...

SplinX

Hi Splinx

Just tried it - works brilliantly now. Thank you very much.

However, I am recently finding another difference as follows:

I often get interrupted and so the site is left open. Recently when I go back to the site I sometimes have to sign in again which is a bit of a nuisance but the most annoying is that the site no longer remembers who I am e.g. before when I typed a "p" the whole name filled in together with my password. I now have to type it all in even though I have ticked the "save my password" box. Can you help with this please?

Can I throw you guys another one?

The big blue menu bar, directly below the "O&AL" title: whenever the mouse driftsa across it, the whole page seems to fill up with drop-down menus, which won't go away until you click somewhere off them - tricky, when they fill the page!

It seems to happen nearly every time I move to a new page or post. Could the drop-down menus be set so they only appear if they're actually clicked on?

Hi Everyone,

Let me see if I can come back to you on these items:

--- "NEW THREADS" LINK ---

@Patricia - Can you please confirm that the "new thread" link is still not working for you?

We are struggling to re-create and would welcome if anyone else could confirm this issue.

--- AUTO COMPLETE OF LOG DETAILS ---

@Patricia - The auto-complete is not a feature of the website but "probably" a feature of your web browser (or plugin utility) that helps you to remember usernames and passwords. Can you please check the settings of your browser and which you are using. I suspect that you may have upgraded (perhaps automatically) your browser and this is what has sparked the change.

Again, any confirmation from your forum colleagues would be appreciated.

--- TOP NAVIGATION BAR ---

@Tony - I understand what you are saying here but this is somewhat out of my control and the scope of forum issues. That said, I will raise this to management so that they can approve a review of the primary navigation to help you all in your use of the site. I suspect that it is possible to slightly alter the code so that there is a small delay before the menu appears and it could also be modified to disappear when you simply move your mouse away from the popup navigation items.

Thanks,

Splinx

Hi Patricia,

Thanks for feeding back.

I would heartily recommend Google Chrome - personally I find it quite a bit faster and more reliable than IE but then a web browser is a often a matter of personal choice.

Many thanks,

Splinx

Splinx - 2013-01-09 9:43 AM

--- "NEW THREADS" LINK ---

@Patricia - Can you please confirm that the "new thread" link is still not working for you?

We are struggling to re-create and would welcome if anyone else could confirm this issue.

Hi Splinx,

This is the message that is shown if there are no new threads to be displayed, I get it quite regularly!

Keith.

Splinx - 2013-01-09 12:33 PM

I would heartily recommend Google Chrome - personally I find it quite a bit faster and more reliable than IE but then a web browser is a often a matter of personal choice.

Splinx

I agree with that Splinx!

My perception as a non techy is that control of tracking and other intrusions and cookies seems to be better on Firefox than on IE or chrome - but that is just a perception as I have no evidence to support the theory that it is more secure?

What does anyone else think?

Splinx - 2013-01-09 12:33 PM

Hi Patricia,

Thanks for feeding back.

Many thanks,

Splinx

I like google chrome too ;-)

The one failing with Chrome as opposed to Firefox is that with Firefox you can alter much more printer settings such as margins and size ratios to make printing fit a page better - unless that option is so well hidden in Chrome that I can't find it!

Patricia - 2013-01-09 9:49 AM

Thanks for your comments. I have just tried the New Threads link again and it is working now. However, with all the recent problems I have had with IE8 I think I will uninstal it and do a new instal, but no, I had not updated it.

I'm afraid ie8 is stoneage technology, more and more websites are dropping support for it. The pute I'm sat at now cannot be updated beyond ie8 so I've switched to Chrome, it amazes me that MS can't supply a browser for XP SP2 but Google can.

Archived