campsite for gibraltar

snail

Hi, 1st time in spain this winter, would like to visit gib at some point after xmas, anyone reccommend a campsite close by/bus ride away?

somewhere i can leave the motorhome safe and sound?

do you have to show your passports to get in and out?

are their limits on what you can legally buy?

thanks snail

Hi

There is a large car park almost next to the entrance. You can pay for 24 hours and stay overnight albeit no facilities. We just had one day on Gibraltar, for us that was enough, so the no facility car park was fine. This was about 4 years ago.

Hope that helps.

Peter

park just outside the border entrance, yes you need your passports,both in and out,and the limit is if you are coming from outside the eu,ie 200 fags etc,i was there 4 weeks ago and the spanish are checking quite a lot,and be prepared for long delays getting out,the price of fuel is not that much less then spain,and is certainly not worth the long delays going in and out with your van,park outside and walk in,watch the apes,they are down in the town now and are nasty little creatures,otherwise enjoy it.

Do what everyone else does: park up on the massive rough-ground "car park" about 500 metres to the left of the rock/border entrance.

We go there two or three times a year, and always stay for a night or two on that big waste ground area there.

Looks a it rough at first, but loads of MH's wild-camp there with no problems, other than a bit of noise from arriving flights on the runway just through the wire fence on the Rock side of the border.

Yes, you need to show your passports on the way in, and sometimes on the way out too, as technically you are crossing from Spain into a UK territory.

BIG tip - walk onto the rock from that car park/waste ground area, where loads of other MH's park/stay.

Or hail a taxi and get them to take you....it's only a few euros right to the edge or main street on the rock.

Don't even think about taking your MH onto the rock.

Roads are TINY, the entire place is utterly crowded and parking is at an utter premium.

You'll not park anywhere there at all. Really.

(Unless you're a real seasoned pro, and you know where the Morrisons supermarket car park is ;-) )

Yes, there are limits on what you can bring back out......as Spain does not recognise Gibraltar, they don't see it a fellow EU state, and thus the limits on duty-free booze & cancer stick import back into Spain are the same as if entering the EU from any other outside-EU territory ( eg USA etc): from memory it's 200 ciggies per person.

But it's that amount per person per visit...which is why so many Spanish go back and forth 20 times a day, bringing their legal duty free limit back into Spain each time, to then flog on the black market elsewhere in Spain.

As a rough guide, well-known-brand cancer sticks are from memory about £1 per packet on the rock. You can pay for anything on the rock in ponds or euros.

Electronic goods, perfumes, leather jackets, watches, digital phones and cameras etc USED TO be very good value 10 year ago, but are now only very slightly below the prices you'd pay in mainland Spain....and with no enforceable guarantee within the EU, my strong advice would be not to be suckered in: avoid such items.

Guest pelmetman

I lived on Gib for a couple of years back in the 70's whilst serving in the Navy, and we did a trip down memory lane 3 years ago :D................Unfortunately my memory wasn't as good as I thought, as I wanted to get to Europa point the most Southerly tip, and the roads were a lot narrower and steeper than I recall 8-) 8-)........But Horace made it in one piece B-)......................and once I got there I discovered that they'd built a new road and tunnel on the East side which is a lot easier *-)

As Bruce said most people stay on the waste ground ;-)

464877071_DSCN1976webdoc.thumb.jpg.eb9991fd9fa01a05497b67781a1ecb3f.jpg

1620319522_DSCN1974webpage.jpg.0693ca48bbc8ccaa163410ce80ef05e2.jpg

pelmetman - 2012-12-11 8:43 AM

I lived on Gib for a couple of years back in the 70's whilst serving in the Navy, and we did a trip down memory lane 3 years ago :D................Unfortunately my memory wasn't as good as I thought, as I wanted to get to Europa point the most Southerly tip, and the roads were a lot narrower and steeper than I recall 8-) 8-)........But Horace made it in one piece B-)......................and once I got there I discovered that they'd built a new road and tunnel on the East side which is a lot easier *-)

Would that be the Lighthoues at Europa point..I used to live 400 metres from there in the Married Quarters by Bleak House..(2c Boulters Walk) I don't recognise the Mosque there..then again it was 1985 when I left there..I always found the local population just wanted to be English when it suited...

Guest pelmetman
mondo - 2012-12-11 4:51 PM

pelmetman - 2012-12-11 8:43 AM

Would that be the Lighthoues at Europa point..I used to live 400 metres from there in the Married Quarters by Bleak House..(2c Boulters Walk) I don't recognise the Mosque there..then again it was 1985 when I left there..I always found the local population just wanted to be English when it suited...

Yep ;-)..................I worked for a while at the observation post that used to be there, and the mosque wasn't there then :-S................We were at Edinburgh House..........Due to the shortage of married quarters we were given a senior rates flat B-) ................but as I was only an Able seaman they disconnected one of our cooker rings and removed some cutlery and other stuff 8-)........

snail - 2012-12-11 10:21 AM

thanks for all your responses, looks like the carpark outside then, i suppose it's as safe as anywhere in spain?

snail

I reckon so.

We've never had any problems there; and have never heard from anyone else there of them having had any problems either.

Archived