Motorhomes with scooters

Ipetchey

Ipetchey - 2012-12-18 12:07 PM

peter - 2012-12-17 7:59 PM

Forget racks and garages and get one of these.

I looked at their web page, interesting. But it still must be very difficult to reverse, even with swivel wheels. I am guessing that you would not be able to see anything of the trailer / scooter in your rear view mirrors.

Have you got one? How do you get on with reversing?

Ian and Leigh

I have one and it's no problem at all with reversing, as it's fixed to the towbar and the wheels swivel. You can't see it in your mirrors, but I have a reversing camera. Hardly any weight is transfered to the tobar, as the bike sits over the wheels of the trailer. Can carry a bike up to 250 Kg.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ipetchey - 2012-12-15 2:53 PM

Barryd999 - 2012-12-14 8:16 PM

I would be more worried about the actual overloading of the axle. .

I agree, But probably less so when the scooter is in the garage (saves around 100kg of carrier and attachment cantilever effect) and this seems to be leading us to a MH with garage.

Interestingly no one has mentioned any petrol concerns inside the van (scooter petrol tank!). should this be a concern to us? ......Are garages vented?

Ian and Leigh

I occasionally carry a 1 gallon plastic can full of petrol in the garage. Usually in places like France where Petrol stations are not always handy. Its not caused me a problem (yet).

Brian Kirby - 2012-12-15 4:54 PM

Barryd999 - 2012-12-14 8:16 PM

I would be more worried about the actual overloading of the axle. I used this calculator here (see bottom of page) to work mine out.

http://www.practicalmotorhome.com/advice/safe-loading-and-payloads

I went to a weigh bridge first. Then I weighed the whole van and each axle, did all the measurments in the the Practical motorhome guide, looked at the weight of the bike, rack and towbar and did the maths.

It worked out on paper. Just. Got everything fitted and the bike on and went back to the weighbridge and weighed everything again. Right bang on the limit. I have since had an uprated axle fitted which I think can take an extra 350KG but I have never legally uprated it as I didnt need to. Prefer to keep it under 3500KG as its easier in the likes of Austria and Switzerland.

First time in Switzerland though we were held up at the border while they weighed the van as they didnt beleive it was under 3500KG being such a big van with a bike on the back. We weighed in at 3460KG and got stopped and asked at every border crossing after that. Just showed em our print out from the first weigh in!

You cant dick around with weights I reckon.

AFAIK, there is no reason to increase the plated MAM because you uprate the rear axle. However, it might be wise to attach a new plate showing the revised rear axle limit, so that you don't get caught (I suspect unlikely in practise) for having the rear axle overloaded against the existing plate, even when within your MAM.

Thanks Brian but dont I have to go through sV tech to do this and will it not then take the van over 3500KG? I dont really want to go that route if I can help it. Its still within the original limits anyway. Just.

2003 Autotrail Cheyenne 696G - user payload 725KG, from what I have read the garage floor can take 125KG - but if anyone knows different?

KTM Duke 200 - 125KG (DRY)

Have had no problems with the bike in the garage, easy put in and taken out again on my own. Steering doesn't feel light when bike is in the garage.

i_2_1868_0_19_1352130429_9310.jpg.12a73382c0c669f08da42db9b318490e.jpg

Archived