Which rear lounge autotrail cheyene 634?

motorhomejoe

I previously had center lounge autosleepers and would now like to buy a rear lounge autotrail.

What are the pros and cons of an L versus U shape lounge.

I will be looking for a 2005 or 2006 model as I think they did not have the transmission problem nor do they have the expensive catalytic convertor and engine management system. I am restricted to approx 21 foot long hence the above choice.

thank you for your opinions.

Joe,

If you want to see the exact spec for each model you can download the relevant years sales brochures from the AutoTrail website Link.

I would also look for one on a Merc chassis as it will be rear wheel drive and plated to 3,800 kg GVW rather than the 3,500 kg most Fiats were, giving you a far better payload.

Our's is a fixed bed layout so cannot really help with the lounge layouts you mention, but if you have any other questions just ask.

Keith.

Hi Joe

Our last caravan had a L shaped lounge.

We did not like it at all. We had a fixed bed in it so can't comment on bed making etc, but the lounging bit did not work for us . Only one of us could sit with the feet up, in relaxing mode that we like of an evening.

In fact we liked the u shapen rear lounge so much that we had on our previous Euramobil M/H we have traded our present non-rear lounge van in ( there was other reasons as well) for an Autotrail Scout with rear lounge

But for us it's U everytime over L

HWO

motorhomejoe - 2012-12-16 4:00 PM

What are the pros and cons of an L versus U shape lounge.

Generally speaking:

A U shape lounge:

- will provide more storage under the 'extra' bit of seating

- in some you will be able to use them as 2 single beds

- you can both lounge into a corner

- the bed can be easier to make up and may be much larger

- it can accommodate more for dining and the table is a 'normal' shape so can be stored more easily

- it is possible to get some models with the 'caravan' type layout with a chest in the centre (not sure if Autotrail did these though).

An L shape lounge:

- can give a more open feeling due to it not being totally enclosed with sofas

- sometimes there is a longer window on the 'non-seating' side

- the bed can be harder to make up and possibly not as large due to the kitchen (see below)

- often the kitchen area is a bit bigger as it is extended into part of the unused lounge space

- dining can be tricky due to only being able to use one long side of the table (some come with weird shaped tables to allow it to be reached by more people but can then be difficult to store)

IMV an L shaped lounge is less practical than a U shaped lounge due to the wasted space where the extra seating would normally be and were just a fad which soon died out.

The Apache 634 X250 2.3 late 2009 onwards has a trouble free clutch and gearbox and as a 2.3 has more than enough to power it along. It gets even better as the mileage goes up. These latest engines are very frugal as well. The earlier model has aluminium clad side walls and is probably better built than the later model but is on the older chassis with the 2.8 engine. The layout is very roomy and comfortable with more than enough storage space. The latest model has rear storage that goes right accross the back end as the spare wheel is mounted vertical on the rear wall. The earlier one has the spare wheel stored underneath the rear end. All in all a good motorhome once any snags have been sorted out.

It would be advisable to see a current damp report before purchase and that applies to any make of motorhome, for piece of mind. Only recently I was made aware of a very serious damp floor problem on a 2008 Autocruise at a dealer not far from me. He said that it needs major work to put it right but because of the cost the owner has asked him just to patch it up. You can draw your own conclusion as to what will be happening after it is done.

Hi we bought a new1955 Autotrail Cheyene 634u on Merc, it was a fantastic layout,daytime relaxation area was fantastic, front area closed off with big door across from bathroom to wardrobe,making it very cosy ,but you did lose cab area,front seats didnt swivel.bed making was easy,very large double bed.Merc side was excellent but build quality on ours was awfull .we owned the van 4yrs exactly,28000mls,loved it but spent so many hours fixing problems,during warranty period it spent many days at supplying dealer Spinneys, who were excellent, after 2yr warranty period problems persisted,bed collapsed bed side supports broke,fridge fell out ,cupboard catches broke,etc.etc.But we LOVED that van and sometimes miss it,yes buy one,after checks suggested above. good luck

Keithl - 2012-12-16 4:15 PM

Joe,

If you want to see the exact spec for each model you can download the relevant years sales brochures from the AutoTrail website Link.

I would also look for one on a Merc chassis as it will be rear wheel drive and plated to 3,800 kg GVW rather than the 3,500 kg most Fiats were, giving you a far better payload.

Our's is a fixed bed layout so cannot really help with the lounge layouts you mention, but if you have any other questions just ask.

Keith.

The shorter (around 21'-long) Fiat Ducato-based Auto-Trail Cheyenne models appear to have been built on 3400kg chassis for the 2005 model-year and 3500kg chassis for the 2006 model-year.

It's generally acknowledged that Auto-Trail does not build 'light' and, consequently, it would be wise to consider vehicle-weight data quoted in Auto-Trail brochures as absolute minima.

A 2006 model-year Cheyenne 634L or 634U built on a 3500kg Ducato chassis will offer almost 100kg more useful payload than the equivalent 2005 model-year Cheyenne, and the extra load-carrying capacity may well be needed for the motorhome to be operated within its legally authorised weight limits.

Fantastic response. This forum is great.

The experience of U shape lounges is very helpful. will discuss with my wife and then see if we can find one in Scotland to look at. (We live in Glasgow)

Thanks also for the technical information about specifications, weight etc. This type of info is difficult to find so the forum has once again been invaluable.

Wishing you all a very blessed festive season and many great trips in 2013.

Joe

We had a Cheyenne 634L 2001, it was a very comfortable lounge with ample windows all round. It gave either a double on one side or two singles beds.The 2.8 engine never gave any problems or gearbox. We travelled all over france germany Austria and so on in it with never a hitch, apart form some French idiot that broke our headlight when on a Aire in the night. The only setback was the shower curtain which my Wife did not like , I believe they changed that on later models.

My first 634 was on a Merc chassis. The toilet door opened accross to the wardrobe to allow more space for dressing but in the closed position it needed an extra fastener to stop it rattling. I bought it not knowing that it had a cracked shower tray, it had been covered over with a mat to hide it. It was off the road for 6 weeks at RBM whilst a new tray was sourced and eventually fitted. I agree with a previous post regarding the overall finish, my main grumble was with the ceiling and trim which was bubbled and could only be made to look right if I used the wifes hairdryer to smooth it out which I had to do regularly. The only thing about the Merc chassis was the fact that it had a tendency to lean over on bends and roundabouts but apart from that the straight line performance was very good It's a pity that Auto-Trail stopped building on it.

One rear lounge model not mentioned is the Luner 620, you don't see any for sale but the build quality at the time was faultless with a full length roof without a joint. Far superior to any Auto-Trail. Totally trouble free build quality and it was built with composite side walls, something that Auto-Trail have only recently introduced.

I understand that you are looking for an Auto Trail & I have no experience of them; however I do have experience of 'living' with a rear 'L' shaped lounge motorhome for the past twelve years; firstly a Compass Avantguard, then an Avondale SeaScape for the last seven years.

We enjoy the extra space that an 'L' shaped lounge offers. Both of us can lounge with our feet up & have back-rests. We have fabulous panoramic views all round & the portrait picture window offers an extra dimention to the views. So we can either drive into a space & sit at the front to enjoy the views or reverse into the space, relax in the back & still enjoy the fine views.

Eating is easy, we don't always put the table up but when we do we can seat four around it easily; in fact we often used to seat five around the table when we motorhomed with friends. Bed making is simple, it takes a few minutes both to put up or take down & is easily stored in the overcab bed space. I find that a fixed bed is a waste of space as it is only used at night & if either of us wants an afternoon nap, which is more frequent some days, we can easily do it on either of the bench seats without disturbing the other.

Our Avondale is small enough to get into most parking areas, yet large enough to give us both our own space, when needed. We have everything on-board that we require including a four ringed hob, grill & a full oven, which we use as our library!!! Heating is via a D2 Eberspacher diesel heater.

All in all we think we have found the ideal motorhome for us. But my advice would be to have a good look at both U shaped lounge & L shaped lounge; make up the beds, see what room you have & what you would feel happiest with. It took us a year of searching, whilst motorrhoming in an old Highwayman, & two yaers before finding what we could afford - the 'L' shaped rear lounge Compass Avant-Guard. We kept that for three years, travelling mainly in the UK but did venture abroad. We had then accumulated sufficient funds to buy new & our first & main consideration was that it must be a rear 'L' shaped lounge. Why? Because it gives the impression of having much more floor space than many other models & suits our 'life style' whilst motorhoming. But in the end it is all down to PERSONAL CHOICE.

Hope this has helped a little, send me a message if you need further info on living with a 'L' shaped lounge or Avondale Motorhomes but be warned 'I AM BIASED' that why we bought ours.

Just as an added PS Happy Christmas to one & all. Here's wishing you all a healthy New Year with many trouble free miles of Motorhoming. If you see an Avondale tucked away in an idiylic spot; call in for a cuppa.

Safe Journeys

Birder :-D

I have to agree with Birder about fixed beds being a waste of space because usually the lounge areas are very compact and some televisions have to be mounted high up. Some also have floor level wardrobes. With rear lounges its so relaxing especially the Auto-Trail 634. Larger models must be even better like the Scout for instance. A great deal of consideration though has to be your driving licence entitlement and size of motorhome but there are some very good small rear lounge models available. My first rear lounge motorhome was a Compass Amazon which took us all over France And Spain totally trouble free and never once did I have to take it back to the dealer for any faults to be put right. It was classed as a budjet motorhome but I can say that it was the most honest trouble free van I have ever bought. I will never knock Elddis, they are well put together. I regret to this day parting with it. At the end of the day all layouts are a compromise, what suits one will not suit another, motorhoming is a never ending learning curve, sometimes a very expensive one at that.

Archived