Insurance again

Hawcara

Had my quote through from Comfort and was £308, Caravan guard just phoned and quoted £292 with European etc. Does anyone have any comments on either as I am tempted to go with the latter as it is cheaper.

This is only our 3rd year with the van and although one insures with these people, it only once one has to claim that experience tells. Price is one thing, service another.

Thank you for your replies in advance :-D

A couple of thoughts......firstly check they are identical quotes ie cover is the same, period of travel away is the same, compulsory and/or voluntary excess identical etc....

Have you also tried a quotation from Safeguard..we have used them for several years, and their policies include Pan Euro Breakdown, and I find generally amongst the best quotes. Most other policies add the breakdown on as an optional extra at consderable cost, so worth checking this out.

Hi, we are insured with Safegaurd, find them very reasonable, and have had to make a claim which was all handled very quickly and no fuss at all. Premium didn't rise much the following year either. Breakdown cover is included and for 365 days a year. Have not had to use the breakdown but feel sure it is good.

Cheers

Comfort, Caravan Guard and Safeguard are all insurance brokers. The actual insurance providers will (respectively) be Aviva, RSA or Allianz.

A recent-ish insurance-related forum discussion is here:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/WHICH-VAN-INSURANCE-/27314/

In 2011 "Which Motorhome" surveyed the insurance scene and the (downloadable) article, plus a 'league-table' listing is available here:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/Motorhomes/Features/Handy-guides/Buying-Owning-Insurance/_ch1_ft497_pg1

Since 1998 (when I started motorcaravanning) I've insured my motorhomes with Comfort, except for one year when I insured via the Caravan Club. I've no complaints regarding Comfort.

Hi

I think one of the key differences is is the countries they cover. We started with caravan guard in 2003 then moved to safeguard so we could travel round Morrocco, then we had to move to Comfort in 2010 so that we could tour Turkey east of the Bosphorus. Now cover may have changed but that was our experience.

You really do have to look at the small print to see what is covered, policies rarely cover exactly the same risks.

Good luck

Peter

Archived