fitted carpets

roserod

Yes, were they 'foam backed' ? 4 years seems a short life for the backing ,although they do get a 'Hard Life'. We usually remove the 'Fitted' carpets (the type that are held in place with press-studs) and replace them with Machine washable 'Runners' Are you the 'First' owners ? perhaps a previous owner had washed them ? Our experience was in a 'fully fitted' ie. under the furniture carpets in an Autosleeper Talisman, they WERE foam backed, and the foam 'died' and turned into grey dust. I took the whole lot out and fitted a 'Woodgrain' Lino strip floor. much more sensible, especially with a dog.

Ray

only solution would be to replace them with 'runners', provided you have a vinyl floor underneath the carpet.

Hi Roserod,

We have a rubberised backing on our carpets and the previous owners had spilt something on them and the backing stuck to the vynl underneath. Haven't disintegrated yet though. Like everyone else, we have removed them and replaced them with washable mats until such time as we decide to sell it.

Its a nuisance though itsn't it as I like to feel a bit of carpet under my bare feet plus I think it keeps the van warmer in the winter.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Ours left small bits of black rubber type dust, soon removed them though as like all other vans too much of a hassle to keep clean, a small cheap carpet mat under our feet that can be shaken outside has been our solution in every van ;-)

our van has same problem,underside of carpets disintigrating,we do not use carpet when warm,or are on muddy grass,but i too like warm feel of carpet under me feet when its cold,

i have been looking at some very large rubber backed carpet tiles,anybody done this?

will it work? about to give it a try.

Hi folks,

What you all need are Turtle mats! Link

They are nice soft, rubber backed mats that are machine washable and can be cut to size if you have an awkward shape or step to fit into.

We have used them at home now for near 20 years and even the original ones we bought are still going strong and have used them in our MH since we bought it 5 years ago.

The 'Classic collection' are the ones we use and the latex backed are fine on vinyl floors but do tend to 'walk' if placed over carpet so we use the 'Multi-grip' over the fitted carpets in our MH and they are much better.

The company are usually at both of the NEC shows and offer a discount over normal prices.

Keith.

When we get a new motorhome the first thing we do is bag up the carpets! I then cut to shape some large pieces of 'dirt grabber' rugs (like Turtle mats but a LOT cheaper and just as good) to replace them. These new 'fitted' carpets will be left in during the winter but in summer they'll be removed and replaced with some smaller oblong dirt grabber rugs which can be easily removed to shake out grass, sand ... more sand ... and yet MORE sand ... and allow the vinyl floor to be easily swept out.

At present I've fitted a 'green grass' colour fitted dirt grabber rug with a smaller oblong rug on top just near the door for feet wiping etc (not managed to teach the dogs to do that yet ... give me time! :D ). The green carpet makes it have a nice 'country' feel ... fortunately the dogs haven't used it as such LITERALLY though!!! (lol)

Forgot to say, the type of mats I'm talking about are usually called 'barrier mats' we got ours from the local market/carboot sale for £5 each (new) so I suggest others try their local markets/carboot sales to see if they're available there, or even B&Q as they used to have a similar thing - you MUST make sure they are the ones with the cotton tufts (usually 70% cotton, 30% poly) not the nylon/polyester only type as they aren't absorbant.

1699314241_greencarpeting.JPG.f2cb977cd9bc1e518c4260172e1f859d.JPG

Always full of brill ideas Mel as usual :D

We I suppose are lucky if we didnt have the summer flood we wouldnt of been given brand new ones which are wrapped up ready to go when the van moves on . In the meantime we will use the flooded ones. :D

The original ones supplied with our Autotrail lasted less than 2 month and were replaced under warranty by the dealer, the replacement set less than 12 months. Eventually we took to carpets to our local carpet company, they made a fantastic job using the off cut from a roll, binded the edges, so far have lasted years with no sign of wear for £100.00

Archived