Oil Change Intervals and Oil

Mike88

The oil on my 2010 Fiat X250 was changed 12 months ago with fully synthetic 5/30 by a main Fiat dealer. Since then the vehicle has travelled to Spain twice via Santander and covered around 4000 miles. It will stay on my drive until April having last used it in December.

Is it really necessary to change the oil with such a low mileage as I understand the service intervals with fully synthetic oil are longer than other oils.

As to the type of oil to be used my Handbook states that fully synthetic 5/30 should be used but the UNIPART catalogue states semi synthetic 5/40 is the correct oil. Most independents use UNIPART in my area. If I decide not to use a Fiat main dealer it is possible that the independent garage will use the incorrect oil so my thinking leads me to the conclusion that I might be better sticking with the correct oil even if it is 12 months old.

Is this a reasonable conclusion?

Hi,

From what I can find people appear to suggest that even Full Synthetic Oil is changed every 12 months and for the cost of it I would go along with that idea, as while it may well last a lot lot long when you are only doing a low mileage, the damage that can be caused if the Oil fails is really just not worth taking the risk in my opinion.

As for independent garage's not using the oil you ask them to use e.g. Fully synthetic 5/30, if you don't trust them then don't use them, I wouldn't use anyone I didn't trust, but I have used a number of independent garage's over the years that I really do trust to do what I ask, and I really don't see any reason why an honest independent garage would try to con you.

Hope that helps

Some real information here which might help you decide.

If you still have warranty it might be as well to use a Fiat dealer one last time.

You should in theory be able to use any garage as long as you and they can prove that only Fiat approved parts and lubricants are used but in practice motor manufacturers can be very difficult with warranty claims on vehicles serviced outside of their own dealer network and you really wouldn't need that especially if you needed help when abroad.

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/All-you-need-to-know-about-modern-engine-oils/29937/

Guest 1footinthegrave

I echo the above and just add that according to Eurocarparts it is fully synthetic, but oil these days seems a minefield, to illustrate that a friend of mine has an Avensis diesel, that is fully synthetic as well, BUT a very specific full syn oil, apparently they are not all the same spec.

The possibility for an independent to get it wrong I would think is more than possible, and dare I say it, the price difference could be a nice little earner. One of the reasons I do oil changes myself, around six litres capacity at retail £70 to £80 versus some bulk cheapo stuff that could get stuck in, how would you know, Mmmmm, sorry but I've had more than my share of dodgy garages over the years. but Fiat's spec is the one to stick with, not Uniparts, as for intervals, rightly or wrongly I change mine every 12 months with a similar mileage covered to you.

Mike,

I'm not going to get involved with the debate on what grade to use but have a look at Nick (euroserv) posting 3/4 of the way down this thread... Link.

As for changing at 12 months then I echo 1Foot's comments and always do our Merc even though it covers less than 3,000 miles a year.

If you are really worried about what oil a garage uses then supply your own and ask for the leftovers back for topping up. They should be able to quote you a labour only rate for the change.

Finally Halfords have 20% off Castrol oils at the moment so maybe worth buying in readiness, I have ready for April. Link to CASTROL 5W/30.

Keith.

Guest Peter James

You have opened up a minefield here.

A neighbour buys a new car, keeps it about 9 years and sells it.

He is a retired Technical College Lecturer, and has a brother who owns a garage / MOT station..

He never changes the oil, with no apparent ill effects.

Although he currently only does about 1,000 miles a year.

Citroen say 25,000 miles or 2 years with fully synthetic oil.

I use 10w 40 Semi Synthetic B3 or B4, and change every 2 years, which is about 16,000 miles

Bearing in mind the starship mileages these engines are designed for, I am sure it will see me out.

Guest Peter James
Mike88 - 2013-01-10 10:37 AM

The oil on my 2010 Fiat X250 was changed 12 months ago with fully synthetic 5/30 by a main Fiat dealer.

If thats the oil they put in I see no reason to change it before the manufacturer's recommendation - 2 years or 25,000 miles.

I think you would be pouring money down the drain.

PS: as for taking 'professional' advice, Warren Buffet put it like this.

'Never ask a Barber if you need a haircut' ;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave

He's right of course about the barber, but a mate of mine bought a new van last year, and out of curiosity I've just looked up one of the recommended oils for it, Synpower 0w30 at just £49.61 A LITRE, blimey I would not be changing that every 12 months, so around £300 for an oil change + labour, that can't be right surely ?..

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Fiat_Ducato_2.3_2012/p/car-accessories/engine-oils-and-car-fluids/engineoils/0w30-engine-oil/?521772161&0&cc5_249

8-)

Hello,

I think the subject has been pretty much covered but would like to add the following;

Tracker reminds me of a good point in that if the vehicle is a Fiat UK registered vehicle then you only get 2 years warranty unless the vehicle is serviced in the first 2 years by a Fiat agent. You must get your next service done by a Fiat dealer to qualify for the 3rd year.

If it is not a Fiat UK vehicle and has a 3 year unlimited EU warranty then I would say leave the 5W30 Fully Syn in there for 2 years and get your money's worth out of it!

Nick

euroserv - 2013-01-10 1:48 PM

Hello,

I think the subject has been pretty much covered but would like to add the following;

Tracker reminds me of a good point in that if the vehicle is a Fiat UK registered vehicle then you only get 2 years warranty unless the vehicle is serviced in the first 2 years by a Fiat agent. You must get your next service done by a Fiat dealer to qualify for the 3rd year.

If it is not a Fiat UK vehicle and has a 3 year unlimited EU warranty then I would say leave the 5W30 Fully Syn in there for 2 years and get your money's worth out of it!

Nick

Thanks to everyone. The vehicle is 3 years old in April. It has been serviced by a Fiat Main dealer for its first 2 years and has a 3 year warranty which expires in April when its first MOT is due.

My post was prompted by the fact that as a student I worked in an independent garage serving petrol on a Saturday morning. On Saturday afternoon the staff turned their attention to used cars doing numerous questionable things such as injecting grease into noisy gearboxes, stuffing nylons into whining axles.and covering rust up with underseal. Since then I've been suspicious of independents - illogical I know as I'm sure there are many decent one's out there.

I think I'll take Nick's advice and those who advised me to get 2 years out of my synthetic oil. Thanks.

Guest Peter James
1footinthegrave - 2013-01-10 1:13 PM

He's right of course about the barber, but a mate of mine bought a new van last year, and out of curiosity I've just looked up one of the recommended oils for it, Synpower 0w30 at just £49.61 A LITRE, blimey I would not be changing that every 12 months, so around £300 for an oil change + labour, that can't be right surely ?..

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Fiat_Ducato_2.3_2012/p/car-accessories/engine-oils-and-car-fluids/engineoils/0w30-engine-oil/?521772161&0&cc5_249

8-)

(lol)

I can just imagine them trying to charge whitevanman £50 a litre for engine oil (lol)

My sprinter takes 5-30 fully synthetic low SAPS oil only for oil changes at 25K miles. You can use a lesser oil but you must change it sooner. It can be bloody expensive though, as the 2.2 sprinter I have has a sump that holds 11 Ltrs, ouch!

Archived