Waste water revisited

rp272

The questions about the waste water tank have all been answered. Thank you for all the advice.

We are off to Spain in a couple of weeks and have booked Almafra for two weeks at the beginning and Playa Tropicana for two weeks at the end. At one (and I can't remember which) we have water and drainage on pitch and I can 'plumb' the waste directly into the drain. We did this with our caravan too.

The other site does not have waste on pitch so I thought to take the 'WasteHog' we used with the caravan. Unfortunately it does not fit under the AutoTrail's waste outlet, even the lower one by about 50mm and we all know that water does not flow uphill.

The distance from the ground to the lowest part of the pipe is 170mm which seems extordinarily low for such a big van.

What do you guys use when you don't want to move just to empty the waste. It's got to be low and hold a reasonable amount. You would need lots of trips to the drain with a washing up bowl to empty 60 litres!

Roger

Hi Roger,

I only ever empty ours with a bucket at home and as an ordinary bucket won't fit I use a 10 litre masonry paint tub. The kind with a wire handle.

It works fine and fits under the drain on our Cheyenne and 10 litres is plenty heavy to carry!

Keith.

The waste outlet on my Bessacarr is fixed to a bracket with one bolt. I've replaced the ordinary nut with a wing nut so when on site I just undo the bolt which allows me to raise the pipe and then drop into waste carrier that has screw cap on the top and side, if that all makes sense.

You can buy a GREEN container from caravan shops it lays on its back and goes under the outlet pipe on the van, its about 7or8" depth and has a screw on cap it empties from the top, when stood up its about 16" . ours is similar to this only the drain is in a different place.

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/181055828116?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&adtype=pla&crdt=0

Stalwart

Profile PM

You can buy a GREEN container from caravan shops it lays on its back and goes under the outlet pipe on the van, its about 7or8" depth and has a screw on cap it empties from the top, when stood up its about 16" . ours is similar to this only the drain is in a different place.

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/181055828116?var=lv

Edited by maggyd 2013-01-15 8:21 PM

This is the carrier I spoke about in my previous post but I still need to raise the outlet pipe to enable me to drop it into the side opening.

maggyd - 2013-01-15 8:19 PM

Yes I looked at this one too but none of the sellers quote dimensions. I have no real opportunity to raise the outlet pipe and 170mm equals 6.7" so 7" or 8 " is still uphill"

kindest regards

Roger

But, do you really have a problem? You say you will be on sites, and sites have facilities. If you use the site facilities you won't accumulate that much waste water. You van will need a "walk" from time to time so, for what little need be there, just pass by the dump point on your way out whenever you leave.

I guess this is not what you have in mind, but we seldom stay put for more than 4/5 days, because we reckon we have "sucked nearly any place dry" in that time (or less! :-)), so we just move on to the next stop. You mentioned a caravan, and you seem somewhat to be contemplating using your motorhome as a caravan, rather than as a motorhome. I think you may find this approach becomes more familiar as you travel, and the concern about over-filling the waste tank recedes over a few weeks or months. Tumbleweed has it about right! :-)

When 'staying a while' on a site, we carry 2 fiamma wheeled water carriers, the important thing is they are oblongs, and fit into a Motohome better than 'Aqua-rolls' and 'Wastemasters' both of which I still had from our 'Caravan days'. They don't have as much capacity, but better suit filling and emptying a motorhome water/waste tank. As for height, how about this one :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIAMMA-40-LITRE-WASTE-WATER-ROLL-TANK-motorhome-caravan-camper-050145-/130794486467?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item1e73f57ac3

not cheap, but you should be able to sell your 'Wastehog' on E-bay too.

I add that mostly we do as Brian says, and take the van for a 'walk' every few days, I then do the 'Lot' including emptying the cassette. Enjoy ? (i don't mind really) Ray

rp272 - 2013-01-15 5:48 PM

...The other site does not have waste on pitch so I thought to take the 'WasteHog' we used with the caravan. Unfortunately it does not fit under the AutoTrail's waste outlet, even the lower one by about 50mm and we all know that water does not flow uphill...

Roger

If you can attach (permanently or temporarily) a reasonable length of suitable-diameter convoluted hose (like the stuff on the following link)

http://www.caravanstuff4u.co.uk/water-hoses-and-adaptors/981-caravan-waste-pipe-per-metre.html

to your Delaware's waste-tank outlet, you may well be able to make the waste-water "flow uphill" into your WasteHog container.

1. Put the end of the convoluted hose in shallow container on the ground.

2. Open the waste-tank's outlet fully.

3. Waiit until water flows from the hose into the container.

4. Remove the end of hose from the container and rapidly stick the hose's end in the WasteHog so that it reaches the bottom-surface of the WasteHog.

As long as the end of the hose in the WasteHog is below the level of water in the waste-tank, water should siphon from waste-tank to WasteHog even though parts of the hose may be 'running uphill'.

Pete-B - 2013-01-15 8:42 PM

Stalwart

Profile PM

Edited by maggyd 2013-01-15 8:21 PM

This is the carrier I spoke about in my previous post but I still need to raise the outlet pipe to enable me to drop it into the side opening.

OOPs :$ sorry!! I thought you were talking about the one you pull along!!

When I first changed from Caravan to motorhome I kept the wastemaster thinking it would be useful.

It was'nt.

It took up too much room. As someone as already said the bucket that building materials come in is more use.

These buckets fit under an AutoTrail waste outlet easily

Mine was a floor levelling compound bucket. I can then use the bucket to store bits and bobs in when it is in the locker.

Sold the wastemaster for £25 in the local free paper

HWO

We have a rubber bung the fits the inside diameter of the waste pipe. The bung has a hole in the centre which is a tight fit on a a short length of the green braided garden hose. We then just drain the waste in to a 5 gallon drun which has a side filler entry and cap. But you could use a any vessel that is lower than the bottom of the tank

It is also useful at dump points where you can not get the drain valve over the drain. (Keswick, Camping and Caravan Club site for instance).

Derek Uzzell - 2013-01-16 4:09 PM

rp272 - 2013-01-15 5:48 PM

...The other site does not have waste on pitch so I thought to take the 'WasteHog' we used with the caravan. Unfortunately it does not fit under the AutoTrail's waste outlet, even the lower one by about 50mm and we all know that water does not flow uphill...

Roger

If you can attach (permanently or temporarily) a reasonable length of suitable-diameter convoluted hose (like the stuff on the following link)

http://www.caravanstuff4u.co.uk/water-hoses-and-adaptors/981-caravan-waste-pipe-per-metre.html

to your Delaware's waste-tank outlet, you may well be able to make the waste-water "flow uphill" into your WasteHog container.

1. Put the end of the convoluted hose in shallow container on the ground.

2. Open the waste-tank's outlet fully.

3. Waiit until water flows from the hose into the container.

4. Remove the end of hose from the container and rapidly stick the hose's end in the WasteHog so that it reaches the bottom-surface of the WasteHog.

As long as the end of the hose in the WasteHog is below the level of water in the waste-tank, water should siphon from waste-tank to WasteHog even though parts of the hose may be 'running uphill'.

Where there is a 'drive over' waste point (more in mainland Europe than over here) we will empty there.

Failing that, we use the method as described by Derek above.

We have a short (1m) length to connect the drain pipe to our wastemaster and 2 long lengths (which can be joined or used seperately) for connecting to a drain on/near the pitch.

Very cheap and effective.

Archived