Tyres slashed wild camping

ham

Guest 1footinthegrave
pelmetman - 2013-02-04 10:12 PM

1footinthegrave - 2013-01-22 10:34 PM

rupert123 - 2013-01-22 9:16 AM

1footinthegrave - 2013-01-21 7:57 PM

Where's Henry when you need him ;-)

In France skiing, although not yet today, shopping with the wife and just stopped for a coffee where this wifi connection is coming from. I have said enough about all the poor b*****s who cannot afford campsites or a decent aire, thinking of setting up a charity for them. Still nice to hear the same old reasons trotted out about why they do it always followed by the line 'it is not about the money', of course not. Still must get the shopping home and get some skiing in the afternoon.

Watch you don't break your neck, you'd be sorely missed by us Aire users. :D

Would you trust the word of someone who hurls them self down a mountain strapped to two planks ?? 8-)

I think he's back now, so careful :D

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1footinthegrave - 2013-02-04 9:39 PM

Bulletguy - 2013-02-04 9:17 PM

jam151 - 2013-02-04 6:52 PM

ive been wild camping in the caravan & it was brilliant to wake up in the middle of nowhere with the sun streaming through the windows & the sound of the river trickling nearby, if i had a campervan i would be wild camping much more as i always thought that was what a campervan was designed for, get in the drivers seat drive till you find somewhere nice to stop (or stop enroute to your destination)

We all have different ideas about touring but some people do actually love wild camping & it has nothing to do with saving a couple of ££££, more about not being so snobby that you cant dream of going without ehc & somewhere to empty the toilet out.

You have to remember that a good 90% of MH'ers take everything including the proverbial 'kitchen sink' with them! Not unusual to see huge vans the minute they park up anywhere, the satellite dish flirts up and starts whizzing around (powered naturally.....saves them getting off their arse!), then the flat screen goes on.

I do sometimes wonder what some folk go away for as all they do is take their home lifestyle with them.

And of course that's complete on sites with their "spotless" facilities. I'm always bemused why anyone would want to sit on a loo,a few hundred others have that day, :D :D

And stand in a shower tray were hundreds of verrucae'y feet have been. :D

Guest pelmetman
lennyhb - 2013-02-04 10:30 PM

ive been wild camping in the caravan & it was brilliant to wake up in the middle of nowhere with the sun streaming through the windows & the sound of the river trickling nearby, if i had a campervan i would be wild camping much more as i always thought that was what a campervan was designed for, get in the drivers seat drive till you find somewhere nice to stop (or stop enroute to your destination)

We all have different ideas about touring but some people do actually love wild camping & it has nothing to do with saving a couple of ££££, more about not being so snobby that you cant dream of going without ehc & somewhere to empty the toilet out.

You have to remember that a good 90% of MH'ers take everything including the proverbial 'kitchen sink' with them! Not unusual to see huge vans the minute they park up anywhere, the satellite dish flirts up and starts whizzing around (powered naturally.....saves them getting off their arse!), then the flat screen goes on.

I do sometimes wonder what some folk go away for as all they do is take their home lifestyle with them.

And of course that's complete on sites with their "spotless" facilities. I'm always bemused why anyone would want to sit on a loo,a few hundred others have that day, :D :D

Have you not heard of flip flops :-S................although we is dead posh nowdays :D...............we have Croc's ;-)................proper Croc's mind, none of your counterfeit stuff *-) ...............MIL bought them for us :D

Guest 1footinthegrave

Yes and we Brits have no built in immunity to French Verruca :D

pelmetman - 2013-02-04 10:34 PM

Have you not heard of flip flops :-S................although we is dead posh nowdays :D...............we have Croc's ;-)................proper Croc's mind, none of your counterfeit stuff *-) ...............MIL bought them for us :D

And what about some sites in Germany where no footwear allowed in the wash room, have to stand in other peoples pee at the urinals - no thank you.

Guest Peter James

Well I have just moved on to Seville. Had a week along the south coast of the Algarve and saw all the main places. About the same as the Costas in Spain, same amount of English people, same half built apartments etc. So I will probably stick to the Costa Blanca next time as its nearer.

But I have never seen anywhere thats easier to park than the Algarve. Whenever I drove into a village there were signs to a free car park. Like it used to be in Britain before half our car parks were sold off, and the other half turned into money grapping rip offs by the local councils. Parked and cycled round then invariably came across a park with loads of motorhomes on. Some were official motorhome parks with little more than a water tap and waste disposal, but all at a standard charge of 2.5 Euros for 24 hours. (A guy at the one at Praia da Roche - The Portugese equivalent of Benidorm, said he had left his van there and flew home) Many others were free. Some had signs banning motorhomes but these were invariably ignored - the Portugese seem as ambiguous and relaxed about parking regulations as they are about paying tax.

All in all I saw a greater concentration of motorhomes in the Algarve than I have ever seen anywhere else. And I am struck by how uncongested the roads are.

So in conclusion to anybody considering taking their motorhome to the Algarve, I say do it.

Its lovely, and you won't find an easier place to drive and park.

PS: You don't need to pay tolls to drive over the border from Spain and get off the motorway at the first stop. From there the old roads are free. You don't have to go far into the Algarve either, Monte Gordo is as nice as anywhere.

Guest JudgeMental
Brian Kirby - 2013-01-30 11:23 PM

At the risk of another onslaught :-) Caravan Club site at Crystal Palace: N51.42599 W0.07422 It's inside the LEZ. Bus outside to central London, Crystal Palace railway station across park to Victoria. Open all year.

Yep... You can get a bus outside to town or victoria line tube as well, but like you say train station convenient. also Crystal palace triangle a nice place to relax in evening after a busy day sightseeing.......just a short walk..loads of restaurants bars etc....

I’d like a definition of “wild camping”, please.

I’ve overnighted on ferry-port car-parks, public car-parks, lay-bys, ‘aires’ of all kinds and campsites, but I don’t think I’ve ever ‘wilded’.

I can envisage deliberately overnighting in a motorhome in places where I’ve no right to be, and where I would expect to be turfed out of if I were discovered there, but I’ve never done this, nor do I aspire to do it.

It’s possible, I suppose, that forum members that ‘wild’ are regularly driving their motorhomes down muddy forest tracks or through seaside dunes and overnighting under the stars in some deserted clearing or with the waves lapping gently round their vehicle’s wheels, but I somehow doubt it.

So what’s this ‘wilding’? If it’s only overnighting not on campsites, or in places where motorhomes have no right to be but are known to be tolerated, that sounds 'tame' to me.

Derek Uzzell - 2013-02-05 2:25 PM

I’ve overnighted on ferry-port car-parks, public car-parks, lay-bys, ‘aires’ of all kinds and campsites, but I don’t think I’ve ever ‘wilded’.

I can envisage deliberately overnighting in a motorhome in places where I’ve no right to be, and where I would expect to be turfed out of if I were discovered there, but I’ve never done this, nor do I aspire to do it.

It’s possible, I suppose, that forum members that ‘wild’ are regularly driving their motorhomes down muddy forest tracks or through seaside dunes and overnighting under the stars in some deserted clearing or with the waves lapping gently round their vehicle’s wheels, but I somehow doubt it.

So what’s this ‘wilding’? If it’s only overnighting not on campsites, or in places where motorhomes have no right to be but are known to be tolerated, that sounds 'tame' to me.

I suppose there as many definitions of wildcamping as there are motorhomers but does it matter? We have "wilded" in all kinds of locations - from the car parks of remote rural restaurants to isolated bays at the end of dirt tracks. Most of what I call "wilding" is simply off-site overnighting. It may be on a beach, it may be half-way up a mountain, it may be in a village square, it may be almost anywhere. If I am happy and secure where I stop, it doesn't matter to me whether my definition of "wilding" is the same as anybody else's.

John 47 - 2013-02-05 4:23 PM

I suppose there as many definitions of wildcamping as there are motorhomers but does it matter? We have "wilded" in all kinds of locations - from the car parks of remote rural restaurants to isolated bays at the end of dirt tracks. Most of what I call "wilding" is simply off-site overnighting. It may be on a beach, it may be half-way up a mountain, it may be in a village square, it may be almost anywhere. If I am happy and secure where I stop, it doesn't matter to me whether my definition of "wilding" is the same as anybody else's.

WILDING, please, Derek is spot on it is all pretty tame stuff. Put whatever name to it you wish in an attempt to glamourize this cheapskate anti social activity that continues to get us all a bad name. Stick to aires or campsites and stop camping on other peoples land without permission and annoying the locals.

rupert123 - 2013-02-05 4:59 PM

WILDING, please, Derek is spot on it is all pretty tame stuff. Put whatever name to it you wish in an attempt to glamourize this cheapskate anti social activity that continues to get us all a bad name. Stick to aires or campsites and stop camping on other peoples land without permission and annoying the locals.

I never camp on other people's land without permission, I never park anywhere to annoy local residents and I never leave behind any sign that I have been there. What is your problem with that?

I suppose there as many definitions of wildcamping as there are motorhomers but does it matter?

....If I am happy and secure where I stop, it doesn't matter to me whether my definition of "wilding" is the same as anybody else's.

I may well be mistaken but I think that maybe Derek was referring to(and maybe having a little tongue in cheek joke at the expense of ;-) ),those who bang on about Wildcamping("Wilding"??),when in reality all that they are really doing is "overnighting",squirreled up some side road or in some carpark (..eg in Cental London,Docklands etc)and "wildcamp" so that they are(Quote:)"..surrounded by buildings I did not have their problems with winds buffeting the van.." etc ;-) )

As for, "..does it matter..",well I suppose if the use of inappropriate locations risks us ending up with "No Motorhomes/No Overnighting" signs and/or height barriers being erected(..or p*ssed off locals and slashed tyres)then I'd say,yes,it probably matters. ;-)

Oops! sorry John,crossed your second post..:$

Unfortunately by the sounds of it some people DO pitch up without permission and in doing so annoy the locals...

:-S

rupert123 - 2013-02-05 4:59 PM

(lol) ...I've only just read this post properly..... (lol)

Please,Rupert',will you for once just get off the fence and tell us what you really think about "wild camping"....? :D

Guest 1footinthegrave

We have loads of "wild campers" right opposite our home , on a free car park, some are discreet and but for the fact their vehicle is there they are just another vehicle,well what the hell.

But all the residents get fed up with some of them when you look out your windows only to have them staring back at you. Plus the twits that get out their sun loungers, awnings, and bar-b-ques, and no I'm not exaggerating. and park in the Coaches bay. Still they'll have one less car park here this year unless they pay and display, and ignore the "No sleeping overnight " notices which are springing up all over our county of Gwynedd..

Yes we stop at non-designated places from time to time, but never staring into someone's house,out in what's left of the wild.

The name of the game is keeping a low profile away from residential areas, then we might escape a sign at Dover and all the other points of entry saying motor-homes prohibited full stop. :D

There is some merit in what you say Derek. Maybe we could come to a compromise. :-D

I will refer to myself as a 'mild' camper and when you are on site, plugged into mains electric, site TV aerial system, plumbed in water supply, wifi and all other mod cons, you can stop referring to yourself as a 'camper'. :D

747 - 2013-02-05 7:05 PM

I will refer to myself as a 'mild' camper and when you are on site, plugged into mains electric, site TV aerial system, plumbed in water supply, wifi and all other mod cons, you can stop referring to yourself as a 'camper'. :D

I like the idea of 'mild' camping to designate off site and off aire but somewhere quiet where one upsets nobody without being miles from the nearest human being.

'Wild' camping to me suggests halfway up a mountain off road with a tent?

'Tame' camping means on site or aire!!

Or is that too simple a designation?

"Wilding", "Herding" or "Taming" we all like to "do our own thing",

BUT.............we have a responsibility to others, and to our fellow"Campers"

I think pepe got it about right.

pepe63 - 2013-02-05 5:06 PM

As for, "..does it matter..",well I suppose if the use of inappropriate locations risks us ending up with "No Motorhomes/No Overnighting" signs and/or height barriers being erected(..or p*ssed off locals and slashed tyres)then I'd say,yes,it probably matters. ;-)

:-S

I hope I snipped that correctly; my apologies if I didn't

Cheers

alan b

I’m sure we have been here before and it’s likely I have posted the same photos or the same stories before but for the benefit of anyone who seriously wants to know why some of us like wild camping ill post a few pics and try and explain what I like about it.

I kind of agree with some of the comments. Parking in a car park with lots of other vans is not really wild camping but it has to have a name so if it’s not an official campsite, motorhome stopover / Aire etc we generally call it a "wild" spot, even if it isn’t very wild!

For me I have always searched for the perfect 10 out of 10 wild camping spot. It has to have the perfect view, perfect solitude and in a stunning location. I have had a few 9's but I hope I never find the Nirvana 10 out of 10 as the quest will be over. I spend hours scouting around lanes and mountains on the scooter trying to find these places.

When I considered a motorhome the images that came into my mind were of a solitary van parked high on a mountain top or watching the sun go down and the waves lapping by the shore of a lake. I didn’t picture being herded into a concrete CC site surrounded by tuggers with twitchy net curtains. Where is the freedom in that?

I never stay on campsites (well hardly ever) and I can honestly say I can count on one hand the locations I have stayed that I would consider crap.

If it was all about saving money then it hasn’t worked as over the last four years of what I would call "long terming" I have spent thousands of pounds travelling and finding these places. Last year’s six month adventure cost me well over £5000 for the trip while I was running an empty house which probably cost nearly that much again to sit empty. So don’t tell me we are cheapskates please.

One thing I love about wilding is the chances to see wild life you wouldn’t see on a campsite. We have seen Basking sharks, sea otters, Golden Eagles, Seals, Dolphins, Listened to wolves high up in the Alps at midnight and in the woods by a lake in the South of France at dawn a wild boar tried to mate with the scooter (actually I could have done without that one as I almost Shat myself).

It’s a pain putting pics on here but a few examples.

1879099254_wildingserreponcon.JPG.eca8f6860663c5f52413ba5a35e612fc.JPG

311623697_sagalousunset(Small).JPG.1f53030a1523928e3aef4462f502c0a2.JPG

wildy2.jpg.2c422f991f9e779c42311661dd452bf9.jpg

Barry, I have read your blog with interest and amusment, your posts always try to make your point without abuse. I like the pictures you put in your last post but asking me to believe all your stops are remotely like the pictures is a step to far. Personally I have better things to do on holiday than spend hours driving around looking for a spot to stay the night but each to his own. My main point here and it has always been the case is not the money saved, although I still see this as the only logical reason to 'wild camp', but parking on other peoples land without permission. This is causeing problems for us all with more and more places putting up barriers, surely their are enough official places in europe to stay the night that are free or cheap without resorting to doing this.

Archived