retirement - help wanted

kevin hawkins

I'm due to retire shortly and intend to spend longer travelling in our motorhome than the previous 2/3 weeks, hopefully it will now be months. However, the cost of credit cards and withdrawing cash abroad is proving a stumbling block. We have previously used our Tesco credit card which charges for withdrawals. We have just got a Halifax Clarity card as we understand they don't charge for purchases abroad but do charge interest on cash withdrawals. Our own bank HSBC makes a charge for withdrawing cash abroad. Has anyone any ideas about how we can get our hard earned cash out of the cash machine without it costing us a fortune?

Kevin

We use a Caxton Fx card - no withdrawal charge as you load it up before you withdraw money straight from your bank. You can transfer the money either by computer or text from your mobile phone.

You will need to apply for this approx 1 month prior to travelling as they make checks on you to confirm you have a bank account etc.

http://www.caxtonfx.com/currency-cards/

Hope this helps.

Info about the Caxton card here:

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/credit-debit-cards/28241/

http://www.compareprepaid.co.uk/reviews/ice-currency-card.html

There's also an 'ICE' card, same as Caxton, but which MAY be more suitable as you don't have to load it up so much each time.

https://www.iceplc.com/prepaid-currency-card/euro-card.html

For Germany ideally you should have a Maestro credit card (Yorkshire Bank do one) as other types of credit card aren't universally accepted there.

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Getting-fuel-in-Germany-Maestro-Debit-Card/25360/#M284257

Yes Yorkshire Bank and Nationwide debit card are usable but both incur a charge of circa £6.50 for each £300 drawn.

Ive been told that Nationwide are bringing out a new current account that doesnt charge for withdrawals BUT there is a monthly fee ! but comes with Breakdown insurance, travel insurance the terms havent been given out yet ! so one to watch for it should be sometime this month.

We have never used the Caxton card before but I am thinking about it, Its just having to keep account of withdrawals and top up that has stopped me, I would hate to be without cash on our hols;

Credit card wasnt as I was told even by the bank !! I only got it to avoid paying debit charges! the girl must have misunderstood our needs as we were hit with charges when withdrawing cash from machines and it wasnt accepted a quite a few supermarkets (where it was free of charge) but thin on the ground.

Having sorted the cards out you should now start considering the rate of exchange for the Euro.

It is not very good at the moment, and I know from previous experience things will not be cheap in Euroland this year.

Caxton are offering 1.166 Euro to the £, you can get a couple of Euro cents more elsewhere so it influences the calcualtions a bit. Mind you my Co op card charges 5.75% to withdraw cash!!!

A bit of advice, install a good solid safe and take some cash with you, not all cards work everywhere and some don't work anywhere!

H

kevin hawkins - 2013-01-20 12:28 PM

I'm due to retire shortly and intend to spend longer travelling in our motorhome than the previous 2/3 weeks, hopefully it will now be months. However, the cost of credit cards and withdrawing cash abroad is proving a stumbling block.

Has anyone any ideas about how we can get our hard earned cash out of the cash machine without it costing us a fortune?

Kevin

Unfortunately most Banks/BS now make charges for cash withdrawals.....I don't know of any which are 100% free from charge.

I use one of these; http://www.cashpassport.com/ which you pre-load with any amount and of course you can add to it. If it gets stolen or lost you must contact them immediately so they can block it. They will then get a new card out to you anywhere in the world within (i think) 48hrs.

I take small amounts of cash for each country i'm going to, use my credit card for fuel, and debit card for cash withdrawals......but always draw the maximum allowed rather than a minimum as you will be charged per withdrawal and not a percentage of the amount.

Unfortunately one way or another you will end up paying some charge wherever you go....for example if changing currency in a Bank. It's virtually impossible to travel without incurring some kind of charge on your currency.

FWIW, we have a Nationwide credit card (VISA) that we generally use where possible. There is no charge on purchases abroad, which are converted at the standard VISA rate of exchange (near enough the commercial rate, so better than any source of cash). For cash, I buy Euros from the Post Office on-line, buying sufficient at a time to ensure free delivery. This has been fault-free over a number of years. Not necessarily the top exchange rate, but never a bad rate.

We have found that we have needed relatively little cash, except in Germany, Greece, non-Euro bits of the former Soviet block, and Italy. Even then, for fuel (buy at supermarkets wherever possible) we have found it rare to have to pay cash. We tend to buy food at supermarkets, which almost invariably take cards (though some in Spain made a bit of a song and dance about the foreign card, but were happy enough once identification was provided). Restaurants also frequently take cards, though I prefer to tip in cash. Visits I usually budget to cover in cash. I only ever get cash from a hole in the wall as an emergency measure. Remember also that some outlets add additional charges of their own, and you may not get a good exchange rate.

France is almost universally "plastic": it is very rare to find the card rejected. Over our 12 European trips to date, we have spent roughly 60% on card and 40% in cash. However, this covers quite a wide variation, with the cash spend having been about 20% for France, 30% for Spain and Portugal, 50% for eastern Europe, and 70% for Greece. This probably reflects more how we budgeted, than what might be possible if one actively pushed using the card. But, having "taken soundings" on card acceptability, and bought the cash in advance, we used it. Hope this helps.

On the subject of credit cards, if you have a card account with a second card on the same account, remember that reporting the loss or theft of one card will result in both being cancelled. Not good when abroad! The best strategy is to have individual accounts, with individual cards. Then, if one goes AWOL, the other can still be used.

AFAIK, for debit cards, the loss/theft of one does not result in both cards being cancelled. However, if someone gains access to your debit card they can make "customer not present" purchases by phone or on-line, and if they get your PIN, your whole bank balance is at their disposal - and you'll have a hell of a problem trying to convince your bank that you hadn't told someone what it was, or written it down! Under those circumstances, the bank will not accept liability for your loss! :-(

Kevin

The Halifax Clarity card does not charge anything for withdrawing cash from ATM's in Europe. However they will charge interest on the withdrawal which is quite small. From my experience .72 pence until the statement for €100. You can reduce this charge by paying money into the card account before the statement date.

David

We use a Post Office credit card for all fuel, general and supermarket purchases. We also take an amount of cash that I work out a 'daily rate' that we envisage using which we obtain from Tesco on line which gives, normally, as good a rate as many and better than others with no charge for the transaction and free delivery over £500 worth plus if you use their credit card to make the purchase there is no cash advance fee as charged by some other credit card providers.

You do need to look at the charges that are added on by some suppliers as although their rate may appear cheaper at face value, when you take account of charges and postage they can actually be dearer, Tesco's have always worked out cheaper than any of the others when we have checked, though I notice that Asdas are offering a slightly (miniscule) better rate at the moment.

It is worth a look here

http://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com/holiday-money/#results

to help make up your mind, though I see the statement at the top under Key Notes saying all Credit Cards charge fees is not quite correct as as I have said if you purchase from Tesco with a Tesco credit card you do not get charged any fees at all.

Bas

As a previous post said don`t be afraid to use CASH once you`ve withdrawn it it`s paid for as it were. Body belts, hiding places, safes etc can be used, cards are`nt always foolproof. A combination of both is what we use and find it works well. ICE have a free cash card on offer with 1% back on purchases might be of interest, however don`t forget most ATM`s abroad also make a charge for withdrawing cash in addition to any charges a card provider may make.

We have a hsbc premier account and there are no charges for withdrawing cash abroad. However you do need a high income or investment s through them to get the account.

We usually take a load of euro's and keep it in the safe in the van.

I retired three years ago and spend around 8 weeks a year around Europe.

I can't recommend Caxton Card enough. It is so simple and safe.

Put a bucket ful of money in your current account and then transfer it by text on to the Caxton Card in small amounts (150 Euros minimum) as you need it, then use the card as you would a bank debit card. Good exchange rate (set when you load the card) , no charges, no hassle .

Used it in Europe for three years now without a problem. The only little quirk is if you use it in an automatic fuel pump it will take a sum greater than the amount of fuel you have bought then a couple of days later they pay the difference back to your card. Apparently this is the same as if you used a credit card. The process does not show on the statrments and you would not know it has happened unless you check the balance (Also by Text) just after you have filled your tank. I always make sure I have at least 100 euros credit on the card if I go for fuel. If you use a cash desk this doesn't apply.

If you loose or have the card stolen the most you can loose is what credit is on the card, if it is withdrawn before you inform Caxton.

The card is PIN protected so all the usual security measures need to be taken.

We also have HSBC premier card,if you don't have investment with them or enough income you used to be able to be a premier member by paying a fee. I don't know if this still applies but might be worth it as free travel insurance is included .

For the past few years we have used an EU Cash Passport card (Visa) which is free from Tesco. You just load it up with Euros. The card can be used in most shops, filling stations, ATMS etc. There is no exchange rate as you are already using Euros. Obviously, if you lose the card you have a bit of a problem. We have a card each and also carry an amount of cash hidden in the van.

Vic - 2013-01-21 9:06 AM

For the past few years we have used an EU Cash Passport card (Visa) which is free from Tesco. You just load it up with Euros. The card can be used in most shops, filling stations, ATMS etc. There is no exchange rate as you are already using Euros. Obviously, if you lose the card you have a bit of a problem. We have a card each and also carry an amount of cash hidden in the van.

My understanding is that unfortunately these are no longer available, and haven't been since 2010, all existing accounts have been closed, worth checking if you have a balance on one and also don't go away until you have put an alternative in place!

Bas

Rapphil - 2013-01-20 11:16 PM

We also have HSBC premier card,if you don't have investment with them or enough income you used to be able to be a premier member by paying a fee. I don't know if this still applies but might be worth it as free travel insurance is included .

I'm sure you're correct about the fee, forgot about that way of getting premier card.

If you are going for very long trips and planning to repeat it for several years then it may be worth looking at opening a euro account with a EU bank. Yes, there are fees, but then again there are usually fees here in the UK. Then you transfer what you think you need as and when you like and it is there available at all times. They also usually pay interest, but it is not brilliant. You can take out €300 per day anywhere with no charge or exchange rate. Trying to judge exchange rates on a daily or even monthly basis can usually lead to wins and losses and is it all worth it at the end of the day?

And if you are 'lucky' and decide to stop it all and the pound has dropped you get more pounds back when you return the money to the UK. If the pound goes up, then sorry.

Another alternative is to use an offshore account with a UK bank and then you can usually transfer at cheaper rates, but of course they do not benefit from the Uk government guarantee. All EU banks have guarantees from their governments which are probably as valid as ours.

Guest 1footinthegrave
I don't want to upset the apple cart, but in the grand scheme of things 3 or 4 quid to withdraw some cash would never occur to me "was costing a fortune" considering it's a foreign bank providing the infrastructure and in most cases multiple languages on the hole in the wall to give anyone that facility, I think it's nothing short of amazing. We bank and use a Co-op card, never had a problem, and the charges, well it does not even figure in my calculations, and believe me I'm a tight a**e ;-)

Guest pelmetman
1footinthegrave - 2013-01-21 8:32 PM

I don't want to upset the apple cart, but in the grand scheme of things 3 or 4 quid to withdraw some cash would never occur to me "was costing a fortune" considering it's a foreign bank providing the infrastructure and in most cases multiple languages on the hole in the wall to give anyone that facility, I think it's nothing short of amazing. We bank and use a Co-op card, never had a problem, and the charges, well it does not even figure in my calculations, and believe me I'm a tight a**e ;-)

As a fully paid up tight wad ;-) ..................I do wonder at some of the people on here who drive around in campers who's media system's cost more than Horace is worth (lol) ...............asking how to save pence *-).......

It's only money :D...............why worry about it :-S

Edit to say not referring to the op ;-)

Vic - 2013-01-21 9:06 AM

No problem at all Vic. You just contact them immediately, they block the card, then get a new one out to you by courier.

Basil - 2013-01-21 12:33 PM

My understanding is that unfortunately these are no longer available, and haven't been since 2010, all existing accounts have been closed, worth checking if you have a balance on one and also don't go away until you have put an alternative in place!

Bas

I used one last year and still have some euros left on it which I will use again this year.

If you read further up I posted about this card and gave a link, but here it is again;

http://www.cashpassport.com/

Archived