retirement - help wanted

kevin hawkins

pelmetman - 2013-01-21 8:45 PM

1footinthegrave - 2013-01-21 8:32 PM

I don't want to upset the apple cart, but in the grand scheme of things 3 or 4 quid to withdraw some cash would never occur to me "was costing a fortune" considering it's a foreign bank providing the infrastructure and in most cases multiple languages on the hole in the wall to give anyone that facility, I think it's nothing short of amazing. We bank and use a Co-op card, never had a problem, and the charges, well it does not even figure in my calculations, and believe me I'm a tight a**e ;-)

As a fully paid up tight wad ;-) ..................I do wonder at some of the people on here who drive around in campers who's media system's cost more than Horace is worth (lol) ...............asking how to save pence *-).......

It's only money :D...............why worry about it :-S

Edit to say not referring to the op ;-)

.....which was exactly the point I made in post #5.

Our monthly 'housekeeping' budget costs us about a diver to withdraw, total for last 4 month trip £20!

If this level of cost is likely to be an issue then Continental motorhoming might not be for you?

Bear in mind that the cost of living while away was 20% less than it is here. A real shock to come back to UK prices.

Just go and enjoy.

Hi

Like many others on here, we used to use the Nationwide Debit Card but now use the Halifax Clarity Card. If you pay off the cash withdrawal on the same day as you make it then there is no charge at all. We have been in Spain since September and so far have suffered the indignity of 07pence interest on all our cash withdrawals since leaving home!

I have noticed that it takes 24 hours or more for a cash withdrawal to register on my account - although the "available credit" figure tells you exactly how much you have withdrawn and so enables you to pay it off before it is actually registered. Bizzarely, my Credit Card appears to be in credit more often than not!

Not so happy about the exchange rate though - 1.26 when we left England and 1.19 now!

This subject keeps coming up and completely baffles me. Who the hell cares, why would anyone bother to not use their own bank card or open a new account just to save a few pounds. You are going to pay in some way, fees or exchange rate, probably both, but over the course of a couple of months the ampunt you can save by messing around with differant cards is so small why worry.

rupert123 - 2013-01-22 8:58 AM

This subject keeps coming up and completely baffles me. Who the hell cares, why would anyone bother to not use their own bank card or open a new account just to save a few pounds. You are going to pay in some way, fees or exchange rate, probably both, but over the course of a couple of months the ampunt you can save by messing around with differant cards is so small why worry.

Well in our case, at six months away at a time and a monthly expenditure of around £1,500 that comes to around £60 per 1% of interest/charges. The Nationwide Debit Card would now cost me around 3% per transaction and for £180 we can eat out nine times in Spain! :-D

Guest 1footinthegrave

Ditto Henry, in the grand scheme of things Motor home related it don't amount to a hill of beans, ( mind you we do make use of some free Aires from time to time) :D :D

Like Brian we use a Nationwide Credit Card as much as possible appears to be one of the best options it's also been pointed out on other threads it can be quite cheap to draw cash on it if you pay the balance of quick. As we don't use that much cash we still use Nationwide Debit card in the ATM's can't be bothered with yet another account. Lloyds TSB may have lower charges but their exchange rate is far worse making it a more expensive option. Also Tesco credit card has a lousy exchange rate. Our main account is Lloyds and main CC is Tesco but always use Nationwide when abroad.

using a nationwide debit card abroad for ATM withdrawals costs more than a few beans,you get charged in both countries,i think i withdrew £300.once ,total cost was i think gross,£12.approx.

best way n/wide c/c, then cash for purchases under £20.or in dodgy places,BUT dont put cash in plastic bags in hidy places,we have had mouse in van recently,could have chewed through lot if any had been there,hes dead now by way!!!

lennyhb - 2013-01-22 10:47 AM

Only charges on Nationwide in the country when drawing out cash is outside Europe, in the USA all ATM's we have used charge $3.

This was the case until a couple of years ago. Now, Nationwide charges 2% plus £1 for every cash withdrawal outside the UK on their debit cards

1footinthegrave - 2013-01-22 10:21 AM

Ditto Henry, in the grand scheme of things Motor home related it don't amount to a hill of beans, ( mind you we do make use of some free Aires from time to time) :D :D

I never thought the day would come when all three of us would agree on something!!

If you can afford the thousands it takes to keep and use a motorhome why worry about trivia when there are so many other things to worry about!!

Like others, we have used a CaxtonFX Euro card for the past 5 years all around Europe. Only problem I ever has was when Caxton was moving office and the system wouldn't work for about 48 hours, but they did email me beforehand advising the dates. I also once forgot to renew it before the expiry date just as we set off for Austria - silly me. The resulting charges on my UK debit and credit card certainly reminded me why I use a CaxtonFX card!

Richard.

John 47 - 2013-01-22 11:16 AM

lennyhb - 2013-01-22 10:47 AM

Only charges on Nationwide in the country when drawing out cash is outside Europe, in the USA all ATM's we have used charge $3.

This was the case until a couple of years ago. Now, Nationwide charges 2% plus £1 for every cash withdrawal outside the UK on their debit cards

I was talking about charges in other countries with reference to the previous post not the standard Nationwide charges which is why we use the CC as much as possible.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Tracker - 2013-01-22 11:39 AM

1footinthegrave - 2013-01-22 10:21 AM

I never thought the day would come when all three of us would agree on something!!

If you can afford the thousands it takes to keep and use a motorhome why worry about trivia when there are so many other things to worry about!!

There's hope for the human race after all ( well some of it ) :D

Mr T says ... So ... all this hype and complaints about what it costs so why do you go?

He says it reminds him of a friend who used to fly to Eastern Europe each year just to drink cheap beer. He refused to consider what it cost him in fares to get there which is the same argument put forward by some M/H owners.

MT

Guest 1footinthegrave
Mrs T - 2013-01-22 7:15 PM

Mr T says ... So ... all this hype and complaints about what it costs so why do you go?

He says it reminds him of a friend who used to fly to Eastern Europe each year just to drink cheap beer. He refused to consider what it cost him in fares to get there which is the same argument put forward by some M/H owners.

MT

Oddly enough I have a mate that regularly goes to Goa, because it's dirt cheap there apparently, but costs him a bomb for the air fares, I don't get it.

But I thought Kirby's contribution to this thread was a fine example of the campaign for Plain English ,as it was so succinct I think it's worth repeating for all who may have missed it.....................................

Brian Kirby

FWIW, we have a Nationwide credit card (VISA) that we generally use where possible. There is no charge on purchases abroad, which are converted at the standard VISA rate of exchange (near enough the commercial rate, so better than any source of cash). For cash, I buy Euros from the Post Office on-line, buying sufficient at a time to ensure free delivery. This has been fault-free over a number of years. Not necessarily the top exchange rate, but never a bad rate.

We have found that we have needed relatively little cash, except in Germany, Greece, non-Euro bits of the former Soviet block, and Italy. Even then, for fuel (buy at supermarkets wherever possible) we have found it rare to have to pay cash. We tend to buy food at supermarkets, which almost invariably take cards (though some in Spain made a bit of a song and dance about the foreign card, but were happy enough once identification was provided). Restaurants also frequently take cards, though I prefer to tip in cash. Visits I usually budget to cover in cash. I only ever get cash from a hole in the wall as an emergency measure. Remember also that some outlets add additional charges of their own, and you may not get a good exchange rate.

France is almost universally "plastic": it is very rare to find the card rejected. Over our 12 European trips to date, we have spent roughly 60% on card and 40% in cash. However, this covers quite a wide variation, with the cash spend having been about 20% for France, 30% for Spain and Portugal, 50% for eastern Europe, and 70% for Greece. This probably reflects more how we budgeted, than what might be possible if one actively pushed using the card. But, having "taken soundings" on card acceptability, and bought the cash in advance, we used it. Hope this helps.

On the subject of credit cards, if you have a card account with a second card on the same account, remember that reporting the loss or theft of one card will result in both being cancelled. Not good when abroad! The best strategy is to have individual accounts, with individual cards. Then, if one goes AWOL, the other can still be used.

AFAIK, for debit cards, the loss/theft of one does not result in both cards being cancelled. However, if someone gains access to your debit card they can make "customer not present" purchases by phone or on-line, and if they get your PIN, your whole bank balance is at their disposal - and you'll have a hell of a problem trying to convince your bank that you hadn't told someone what it was, or written it down! Under those circumstances, the bank will not accept liability for your loss!

Updating on the HSBC premier account if you have £50,000 invested with them(could be split if joint account) you can be a member. At the moment this gives 2.10% on 1 year fixed rate saver, free travel insurance (trips up to 31 days though), no withdrawal fees and good exchange rate.

If you do not have the 50 grand spare or £100,000 income!!! You can pay £25 month. You have to work out if any advantage to your circumstances but could be possibility as you are already customer. Check my figures with them first.

On the subject of saving pennies we use campsites and Aires, the positions of the site taking preference, closeness to beach, town or walks whichever is of interest in the area.

1footinthegrave - 2013-01-22 7:47 PM

Oddly enough I have a mate that regularly goes to Goa, because it's dirt cheap there apparently, but costs him a bomb for the air fares, I don't get it.

It depends how long you go for. Last winter, for example, we toured round South-east Asia (Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia) for three months. Our total expenditure - including air fares - was around the same as spending the same time at home or in Spain (where we now are). Good quality hotels with en-suite facilities and breakfast cost less than parking your motorhome on a Caravan Club site (much less in many cases!), transport is so cheap that two people can get from one end of Vietnam to the other (a total of three overnight trains) for less than a tank full of diesel at home - and it is cheaper to eat out all the time than to self-cater at home. All that adds up after a while and pays for the air fare.

On top of that, you see facinating places, meet interesting people and the weather's better than in England!

Guest JudgeMental
John 47 - 2013-01-23 9:26 AM

1footinthegrave - 2013-01-22 7:47 PM

It depends how long you go for. Last winter, for example, we toured round South-east Asia (Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia) for three months. Our total expenditure - including air fares - was around the same as spending the same time at home or in Spain (where we now are). Good quality hotels with en-suite facilities and breakfast cost less than parking your motorhome on a Caravan Club site (much less in many cases!), transport is so cheap that two people can get from one end of Vietnam to the other (a total of three overnight trains) for less than a tank full of diesel at home - and it is cheaper to eat out all the time than to self-cater at home. All that adds up after a while and pays for the air fare.

On top of that, you see facinating places, meet interesting people and the weather's better than in England!

We went to india visiting the golden triangle and Kerala this Christmas and had a wonderful trip....airfare expensive but once there costs cheap.....enjoy European motorhoming as well, but it's a big world out there and your a long time dead. The Taj Mahal at sunrise is an experience difficult to communicate adequately.....plus .many other wonderful sights and experiences..can't wait to go back

JudgeMental - 2013-01-23 9:51 AM

We went to india visiting the golden triangle and Kerala this Christmas and had a wonderful trip....airfare expensive but once there costs cheap.....enjoy European motorhoming as well, but it's a big world out there and your a long time dead. The Taj Mahal at sunrise is an experience difficult to communicate adequately.....plus .many other wonderful sights and experiences..can't wait to go back

I'd be grateful for any advice - we are thinking of doing a trip to India next winter (for about three months) and will certainly be going to the Golden Triangle and Kerela. Never been to India before.

Archived