CC club, Crystal Palace, with dodgy missus, experiences please

Guest 1footinthegrave

Guest 1footinthegrave

Thinking of a trip to London, as Brian Kirby mentioned Crystal Palace CC club site, can anyone give any first hand knowledge,or help, we are not currently members so I guess we'd need to join first ?.

First off the missus isn't too good on her legs, ( nor me come to that ! )

so is there any public transport within easy walking distance,

is noise much of an issue for sleeping.

out of season and midweek would we need to book

are you able to just get on a bus and pay with cash

I don't know anything about the congestion charge, are there any restrictions to get to the site in a 2003 Ducato, or can you just drive there ? thanks................. ;-)

Crystal Palace CC site is one of the few CC sites that allocate pitches so if you need to be close to

the Shower Block you need to make them aware of this in advance as pitches are limited.

The site is built on a slope and it is " Uphill " to walk out of the site and back to the main road.

The site itself is quiet enough and you`ll get a excellent TV signal ( if needed ) because you are

almost underneath the Crystal Palace Transmitter, you`ll seen what i mean if you go.........LOL.

Crystal Palace Bus Terminus is not far away so bus are very frequent but it is a couple of

hundred yards to where all the different Bus Stops are depending on where you wish to go.

At some stage you will have to cross a busy main road.

Because of it`s excellent links into London the site is always fairly full and it would be safer if

you booked first.

The other one in London is " Abbey Wood " but this is also several hundred yards from the

links into London.

1footinthegrave - 2013-01-31 1:01 PM

I don't know anything about the congestion charge, are there any restrictions to get to the site in a 2003 Ducato, or can you just drive there ? thanks................. ;-)

As for the dreaded LEZ it depends on Euro emissions class and GVW.

Enter your reg number Here to see if it will cost you £100 or £200 per day to enter.

Daylight robbery if you ask me!

Keith.

As an extra bonus " Thats if they still do " you get 2 camping vouchers when you join we did in 2011 nice site Crystal Place very friendly wardens if you qualify for your bus passes thats another bonus.I had won a couple of CC camping vouchers which as a non member would have cost me £8 pn each to use so I joined for £40 and got 2 more vouchers now totaling 4 the cost of 4 nights at Crystal Palace was £98 which in effect only cost me £40 and had a years membership thrown in .

Crystal Palace accepts non-members. You would be advised to book and see if you can get a disabled pitch or one close to the toilets.

IT is within the LEZ zone. It was quiet when I stayed there last year. And there are numerous buses along the road from the site entrance .There is one that will drop you off in Oxford circus, and there is pick up to get back opposite the Whitehall theatre in Whitehall. When we were up there last year tickets had to be bought before boarding the bus and there where machines at the bus stops.

Check out this site http://www.londontoolkit.com/briefing/buses.htm I found the Oap bus passes where only accepted for London citizens. There is a train station about 15 min walk from the site in the same direction as the bus terminus.

You can book direct with the site on 020 8778 7155 or through the booking centre on 01342 327490

if you do go check out the Oyster card it is cheaper in the long run, Yesterday i paid £4:50 for a journey from Paddington station to leicester sqaure thats cash if i had used an Oyster card the cost would have been £2:10

Thinking of a trip to London, as Brian Kirby mentioned Crystal Palace CC club site, can anyone give any first hand knowledge,or help, we are not currently members so I guess we'd need to join first ?.

First off the missus isn't too good on her legs, ( nor me come to that ! )

so is there any public transport within easy walking distance,

is noise much of an issue for sleeping.

out of season and midweek would we need to book

are you able to just get on a bus and pay with cash

1) As someone else has posted buses run from nearby - about 10 minutes walk. Once you get out of the site it is a flat walk. The no 3 bus runs every 4 to 12 minutes depending on time of day and will take you past Brixton Tube Station, Houses of Parliament, and Trafalgar Square to Oxford Circus. (About 1 hour to Trafalgar Square) As regards crossing the main road, as mentioned by someone, there are traffic lights near the bus stop.

If you have a Senior Citizen's Bus Pass you can use it on the bus. If not, then a few hundred yards past the no 3 bus stop is a newsagents where you can buy travel cards/Oyster cards.

2) We have stayed on CP site a number of times and never had a problem sleeping. The site is on the edge of Crystal Palace Park. and the noise of traffic on the road at the top of the site is no worse than on many sites.

3) I would recommend booking. That way you are guaranteed a pitch and you can make any special request at the time of booking. If you join CC you will save £10 per night as that is the nightly additional charge for non-members.

4)The CC Sites book provides clear directions to the site. Unless you choose to drive through Central London you should not get into the congestion charge zone.

When we were there in early January there were some 2003 (and earlier) motor homes. You should be able to find London LEZ information on-line. There is a specific website but I can't remember the web site address.

Personally, for visiting London we think it is an excellent base. Once the site is reached, we can relax and not have to think about driving.

ham - 2013-01-31 3:52 PM

I found the Oap bus passes where only accepted for London citizens.

We were at CP in January 2013 and English Senior Citizens' Bus Passes ARE accepted on London buses (including before 9.30 am unlike in some areas). I know because I used mine. It simply had to be shown to the driver.

Perhaps "ham" is thinking of OAP passes only being accepted for London citizens on the tubes and other railways in London or "ham" may have a bus pass issued in Scotland or Wales in which case it would not be accepted on any English bus.

Keithl - 2013-01-31 2:11 PM

As for the dreaded LEZ it depends on Euro emissions class and GVW.

Enter your reg number Here to see if it will cost you £100 or £200 per day to enter.

Daylight robbery if you ask me!

Keith.

For some motor homes there is NO charge. As you state the person needs to check out whether a charge will apply.

Guest 1footinthegrave

Thanks for all the info so far, I have checked the links given, and apparently we are compliant, we would have not had any intention of driving anywhere,other to the site, and back out from our home here in West Wales,

We do not have bus passes, but they would be Welsh ones if we had them, not sure if you could use those on London buses,mmmmm ;-)

Did not have a bus pass then but others from Yorkshire did and it was refused. Not all buses are run by the same company and it appeared some accepted them and some would not Welsh is a NO NO

You could buy an Oyster card or get a 7 day travel card both available on line The Oyster card can be used on buses or the Tube or some overland trains as well as DLR. I forgot mine yesterday and it cost m,e it’s already in my wallet for next week’s visit see https://oyster.tfl.gov.uk/oyster/entry.do

You can buy the Oyster or travel card on line. But be aware London travel charge peak rates on all travel Mon to Fri 06:30 to 9:30 16:00 to 19:00 and journey time from CC site to Oxford Circus around 1 hour …….Phil From Sunny Gwent

London Transport website states:

Concessionary bus passes from outside London

If you've got a National Concessionary pass from an English council outside London you can use it at any time on buses in London displaying this symbol.

On buses not showing this sign check with the driver - most will let you travel free between 09:30 and 23:00 on weekdays and at any time on weekends and public holidays.

You'll need to show your pass to the driver.

No one else can use your pass. You can't use it on Tube, tram, DLR, London Overground or National Rail services.

Archived