Work Tops recovering

PJay

Hi All

Has any one replaced the (Formica?) work tops, in van? One of ours got damaged, we have repaired the hole, but as we are thinking of selling the van, thought it might be better to replace the tops. Can you buy the sheeting (Formica) ? If so , has any one done this. I don't think we would get a match, so a large sheet, would do the tops and the table. The inside of van good, apart from this annoying , small damage, which I can keep covered, but would like to make a good repair, before putting van on market

PJay

I haven't done it but I've read that lots of people have. They buy a sheet of Formica cut to shape and fixed it on top with a high impact adhesive. The receiving surface has to be prepared and Evo Stik do all the stuff for this job. You coat both surfaces with the adhesive after preparing the table top with a coating to provide a key,I think its called ESP. When they are dry the 2 surfaces are mated together,final trimming with a blade and bobs you mothers brother!

Unless you can find a supplier that uses Formica themselves you will have to buy a full sheet. I wanted a small piece last year went to local supplier I'd brought Formica from many years ago now only supply full sheets to order about £150.

Having said that there is a seller on ebay that sells 10' x 4' sheets with damaged edges for £25 +£15 carriage could be the answer. Link to seller

Lenny, I see you live in my part of country. Where did you go for the Formica? I had looked at the ebay site, but would like to see it in the "Flesh" so to speak, as if we replace all the surfaces, need to get something compatable with colour scheme Thanks

PJay

Finishing the edges is an art, I used a small hand plane and various grades of wet and dry.

Leave about 2-3mm to finish off and cut with a fine saw from the top.

I have made a good repair by using body filler with dye to get the colour right, again this is a bit of an art and needs a few trials first.

H

PJay - 2013-02-12 12:22 AM

Hi All

Has any one replaced the (Formica?) work tops, in van? ................................................................................. .................... I don't think we would get a match, so a large sheet, would do the tops and the table. ............................................................................................PJay

Yes we have, not that difficult to replace the Formica but more difficult to disassemble any furniture that is resting on the worktop, cutting around just does not look good! For glue avoid normal contact adhesives as they are just that and immediately make it difficult to readjust the covering should it be mispositioned, we used

http://www.thegluepeople.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=17

which gives a small amount of time to adjust and then the pressure fixes permanantly.

Don't give up hope of finding a match, our van was 11 years old at the time, we matched ours and only had to replace the damaged piece, but it was genuine Formica and cost £87 for a whole sheet, the remainder of which is in our garage.

For edging I used an electric router fitted with a laminate edging bit, as used by kitchen fitters, this is fine if you have a deep enough 'flat' edge for the ball bearing race to run on but the finish is proffesional.

Bas

Pauline,

Just remember that a 'poor' repair may well devalue your MH by more than it having some minor damage, and I think it will be VERY difficult to get a good DIY finish.

Perhaps the best suggestion so far would be to go to your local kitchen installers and ask them if they can manage an 'invisible' repair. This is likely to cost the least and yield the best results.

Personally I would rather live with a small, local repair than attempt what you are proposing and I am a fairly proficient DIYer!

Keith.

Thanks for all your views Guys. as i said we have repaired it, as it was a deep hole. A full bottle of Brandy fell from the cupboard above ! My Oh took the top off, and filled it from below, it does not look to bad, and I keep a non slip cover on it, so maybe we will leave it alone.

PS he knows all about adhesives, as he worked for a well know company that made them,for 15 years, and probably a lot of it is in most Motor Homes. (Windscreens stuck in for one use)

PJay

Archived