Anyone live outside Londons LEZ?

Bulletguy

Have now clarified this issue I had with TFL over their loopy LEZ business and I can no longer visit my son when using my Campervan (Ford Transit 2.5TDi) which they had confused with a Mk6 Transit where mine is one of the last Mk5's. Prior to Jan 2012 it was fine and OK but TFL now decide the emission is 'too high'. Funny but my Ford Focus gives a higher reading than the Transit.

I used to stay over at my sons house whenever going off on a trip but can't now......unless I can find a secure parking area within reasonable distance from Twickenham/Richmond area where I could park it overnight.

Googled around but can't find anything.

Alternatively does anyone on here have parking space for very short term (one or two nights couple of times a year max)? Obviously if so, would come to some kind of arrangement.

JudgeMental - 2013-02-28 11:28 AM

Some velcro and cloned number plates from later van? :D

My thoughts exactly Judge, Bloody control gone Mad. or just Reflective tape to obscure the first character

(the 'area identifying character). enough to be rejected by the ANPR camera. Ray

ps you could always park it at my place,but Fishguard is a bit of a walk to the 'Smoke'.

If I were you and it is only for a short time I would park on the street somewhere like Ashford or Staines and get a train a few stops up to Twickenham or Richmond. Quite a few vans live on the street. We had to sell our previous van because of the LEZ. A real shame because our annual mileage inside the LEZ was tiny.

JudgeMental - 2013-02-28 11:28 AM

Some velcro and cloned number plates from later van? :D

Rayjsj - 2013-02-28 12:02 PM

My thoughts exactly Judge, Bloody control gone Mad. or just Reflective tape to obscure the first character (the 'area identifying character). enough to be rejected by the ANPR camera. Ray

ps you could always park it at my place,but Fishguard is a bit of a walk to the 'Smoke'.

Somehow I doubt that would work! My mates son had some ANPR 'invisible' plates on his Sierra Cosworth but the Police spotted 'em and he got done.

BIB I do much head scratching over given that my sons house is under one of Heathrows flight paths with 747's etc flying in at the rate of one every 60 seconds during peak times......but it seems that's ok as each one is bringing in shed loads of money to the Capital.

Truth be known that's all LEZ is about.......a serious money making racket. Reducing emissions is just a smokescreen and total BS.

Guest JudgeMental

well we live here and dont want to end up Like Delhi and other Chinese citys covered in a cancerous fog at all times thank you very much. I think motorhomes should be allowed in and out on some sort of exemption, as to be treated like commercial vehicles bonkers. I see they are changing the C1 licence requirements end of year for motor homes so all is not entirely a lost cause...

just park outside and train it in...

Muswell - 2013-02-28 12:49 PM

If I were you and it is only for a short time I would park on the street somewhere like Ashford or Staines and get a train a few stops up to Twickenham or Richmond. Quite a few vans live on the street. We had to sell our previous van because of the LEZ. A real shame because our annual mileage inside the LEZ was tiny.

I always stopped over a couple of nights going down to Dover and the same when returning back to UK. It provided a welcome break plus seeing my Grandson. Bit wary of leaving it unattended on some unfamiliar street even though it's fully alarmed, it would mean emptying it of 'certain items'(!!). Insurance as i've found from past experience doesn't like paying out.

Sorry to hear you had to sell your van. I'm just glad I don't live in such a crazy place. *-)

JudgeMental - 2013-02-28 2:47 PM

well we live here and dont want to end up Like Delhi and other Chinese citys covered in a cancerous fog at all times thank you very much. I think motorhomes should be allowed in and out on some sort of exemption, as to be treated like commercial vehicles bonkers. I see they are changing the C1 licence requirements end of year for motor homes so all is not entirely a lost cause...

just park outside and train it in...

Eddie

My Focus car chucks out a higher emission reading than my Duetto yet i'm ok to go there in my car. That's where the LEZ is total bo**ocks and BS!

I would park up outside if I could find somewhere safe and don't mind paying a charge for secure compound or similar. Anything other than £100 a day to line the pockets of greedy politicians.

goldi - 2013-02-28 4:50 PM

Afternoon all,

On tuesday I went london from leeds £30 return , 2 miles on underground £9.20 return .

norm

You must have one h3ll of a low profile to fit down the tube :D :D :D

BG is trying to stay at his son's house while passing through, not trying to actually 'visit' London!

The LEZ is not a money making scheme because very few people will chose to pay the £100. The fee is set high to discourage people. The reason for this is that London has a serious problem trying to comply with the EU regs. Even so the improvement in air quality has been quite noticeable and if you look across London from a high point the air is much clearer. I still think they could have had some sort of dispensation for motorhomes such as a certain number of days per year.

How about a camp site near the M25? The Lez generally follows the line of the M25, so depending on exactly where you choose, just inside or outside should be possible. Site near railway station with services that serve the right area? If all you want to do is park the van, as opposed to using it on site, it shouldn't be that costly if you explain the problem. At least that would be reasonably secure. More productive than fulminating about the LEZ as well. They are here to stay, and the number is growing, so like it or not we'll all just have to get used to them!

Archived