Track Pump or Foot Pump

Uncle Bulgaria

Advice sought on which is better for topping up tyre pressure - a track pump or a double cylinder foot pump? I'm thinking a track pump, as the longer stroke will raise the pressure more quickly, but the price of track pumps seems many times that of the double cylinder foot pump.

Thanks in anticipation of informed advice.

Richard.

It all depends which bit of your body you want to develop. Seriously I've got a foot pump (single cylinder) which takes ages. My neighbour has a track pump which I have borrowed and is much faster and easier to use. Having said that what I now use is one of the better Halford own label 12 volt pumps which does the job faster than both and obviously with little effort. I have seen reports about the inability of these pumps to handle the size of tyres and pressures found on motorhomes. All I can say is that we have had ours for many years and regularly use it to top up the tyre pressures, it does the job just fine and has never cut out due to overheating even when I have toped up all five tyres.

One point to bear in mind regarding foot pumps is that they can be very difficult to use satisfactorily on uneven ground. Simply stated, if the ground is not nice and level, and reasonably firm, the pump topples over, which doesn't exactly aid progress! FWIW, I have also found foot pumps to be harder work than a track pump, though both are fairly "energetic" in use.

Brian Kirby - 2013-03-11 11:51 AM

One point to bear in mind regarding foot pumps is that they can be very difficult to use satisfactorily on uneven ground. Simply stated, if the ground is not nice and level, and reasonably firm, the pump topples over, which doesn't exactly aid progress! FWIW, I have also found foot pumps to be harder work than a track pump, though both are fairly "energetic" in use.

That's why you have such a finely toned body Brian.

As my van has a recomended rear tyre pressure of about 70 psi(5.1 Bar to the more modern), my footpump was not man enough for the job!

Luckily as an ex racing cyclist I have a couple of hand track pumps that are rated at least 120psi that I used for racing tyres(tubs).

After pumping up the tyre I decided that I did not need a work out each time I have to pump the tyres or a heart attack so I purchased an electric pump, the RAC one mentioned earlier.

It has performed very well, leaving me free to enjoy the touring in the van and by bike.

Uncle Bulgaria - 2013-03-10 2:39 PM

Advice sought on which is better for topping up tyre pressure - a track pump or a double cylinder foot pump? I'm thinking a track pump, as the longer stroke will raise the pressure more quickly, but the price of track pumps seems many times that of the double cylinder foot pump.

Thanks in anticipation of informed advice.

Richard.

Foot pumps aren't easy to use and you can actually cause yourself quite a nasty injury if your foot slips off whilst using them! 8-) Track pumps can give you a bad back!!! *-)

A good 12v compressor type is the best IMV. :-D

Archived