Spare wheel carrier for Alko heavy chassis D.I.Y

Techno100

Les A - 2013-05-01 8:04 PM

Does anybody have any idea of the part number for the fore/aft support bar that fits under the wheel hoist and to the front chassis member. I have emailed Fiat UK and some Fiat dealers but none have bothered to reply.

The carrier/hoist assembly is fitted to a Bessacarr E665 (16" Wheel)

Thanks Les

I think it is 1363363080 and is not very expensive - around 10 quid + vat.

The latest carriers I think have been redesigned and the hoist part is integral to a Y shaped supprt plate.

If you are searching using EPER system look under "internal trim" ( - don't ask why!!) and you will find it.

Jon.

edit. corrected part number - I typed ....3030 should be ......3080

• 1 month later...

Another alternative is a Ford Transit spare wheel winch. It has a built in latch to hold the wheel if the wire breaks.

Auto-Sleepers used it on my Medallion. The fitting in the wheel was a bit sloppy due to PCD differences but responded to a bit of work with a big file.

The latch hooks under the cup shaped flange at the top of the carrier.

See Pics

1595109537_Medallionsparewheelwinch(fromTransit).thumb.jpg.e972f1e5d9e6efd004f3f864fe2d0c01.jpg

707661551_sparewheelwinchwheelcarrier.jpg.6d895aadc32f24daae4675cb3966033e.jpg

Interesting but that ford unit looks very poor compared to the latest fiat unit

That is a bare unprotected cable rubbing on steel

The fiat unit is a steel cable with a steel coil wrapped around it which both protects the cable and acts as a perfect fit in the plastic tube and gear box that it is wound in and out of.

When the wheel is fully wound into place there is no weight on the cable and no fear of it snapping nor releasing itself without deliberately unwinding

Archived