Insurance renewal large hike,

rudders

Recently received my insurance renewal from a well known club insurance and its gone up by £160, so phoned them up and was told that its because i have a new motorhome which is worth more, so the total premium would have been £465 and the excess had also doubled, so i have gone with saga which worked out only £6 more than i payed last year on our old motorhome and a much lesser excess, i was just wondering whether anyone else has noticed a large hike in their insurance renewal notice.

Yes - although I changed my van while the renewal was due and told it would only go up by £20 (for some reason they couldn't give me a proper quote as it was renewal time). When I bought my newer van the premium went up £200!

Of course I wrote to them asking for an explanation of this over 6 months ago I have failed to receive a reply - apart from a stray e-mail which should have gone to a colleague discussing my complaint.

Not a happy camper....

Bolly1965 - 2013-03-26 6:50 PM

Yes - although I changed my van while the renewal was due and told it would only go up by £20 (for some reason they couldn't give me a proper quote as it was renewal time). When I bought my newer van the premium went up £200!

Of course I wrote to them asking for an explanation of this over 6 months ago I have failed to receive a reply - apart from a stray e-mail which should have gone to a colleague discussing my complaint.

Not a happy camper....

I am not alone then, hope you didn:t stay with them and who was the insurer i wonder,

my insurance quote was £200 more I rang around a number of companies to get the lowest quote and went back to them all with this quote and they dropped their prices then back to original insurance they dropped by just over £180 will be doing this 'round robbin' again next year.

I also found if I dropped the 'free' car recovery / roadside cover the insurance quote dropped and I got road side from a seperate company cheaper.

colin

I have just renwed mine the renewal witb Scenic was £25 more than last year caravan club were guaranteeing to quote £25 less than my last year renewal which they did and which I took them up on it and saved myself £50. Result :-D

Guest machra
We moved from one of the Clubs a couple of years ago as they nearly doubled the insurance. Just renewing with new motorhome and the Club was £450, Comfort was £250. I am aware of the NCD issue with Comfort but I cant justify paying £200 more for the Club insurance. As we have been without a van since Oct we had no renewal so I couldnt go back to the Club and ask them for their renewal price match.

Guest Peter James
rudders - 2013-03-26 5:59 PM

i was just wondering whether anyone else has noticed a large hike in their insurance renewal notice.

Yes - I get that every year.

So instead of renewing I start a new policy as a new customer and get it about the same price as before. (lol)

They are just copying the banks who drop the interest on your savings account to 0.1% after the first year and hope you either won't notice or can't be bothered to switch. To get a competitive rate you just have to open a new account. They know they have to give new customers a fair price.

when i got my new van, rang comfort it cost me £25 for admin charge to change MH, 3 month later on renewal date it came thro £20 cheaper than the year before...on a brand new MH 8-) :-D well suited..the insurer is....................... comfort, brill

jonathan

A general rule when dealing with Saga for car/van insurance.

At your first renewal, make sure you are sitting down when you open the envelope. :-D

I have my home insurance with them and I got a terrible shock at renewal time ...... it cost a few squids less. *-) I bet somebody was sacked over that. :D

Just out of curiosity, has anyone gone elsewhere after being with Comfort for a few years ?

Does the " Letter " that they will provide showing " Proof Of No Claims " actually work with the

other Insurance Companies ?

I would have happily stayed with them if that was the case last October, but it wasn`t so i

changed Companies to make sure i kept the NCB.

Archived