PVC or Coachbuilt ????

hughman

One thing we much prefer in our PVC to our previous coachbuilts, that had a very similar layout, is that there are good windows on BOTH sides of the front seating area. In our Chausson and Rimor there weren't any windows on the offside of the van directly opposite the front seating and with the door closed it felt very hemmed in, with the PVC even with the door shut it doesn't feel 'closed in' at all.

So, if you do go for a coachbuilt make sure you SHUT all of the external doors and then sit in it and 'relax' as you would in use so you can make sure you are happy with how it feels.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are on our 4th coahbuilt and are contemplating our 5th. We camp all year and are usually in Germany/ Holland in February or October when it is often cold. We are outdoor people and definitely do not need a spacious lounge, but we have no intention of wasting any of our time making up a bed. We did that for years when our kids were small and when we were tuggers. I find it rather insulting to describe coachbuilt owners as people who would like to sprawl in a lounge rather than hit the big outdoors. Everybody to their own.

We have looked- and looked - and looked at PVC vans but we just don't think we are ready for one yet. On paper they look great but the storage for outdoor items is usually too limited. We carry bikes, kayak, outdoor chairs, boots and poles and we just don't fancy living with all that inside a van. Clutter is not an option! Our present van is 5.99m long, carries all that and we don't have to look at any of it- and are able to use any facility without removing said chairs, bikes etc. We can stop, make a meal or go to bed without absolutely any hassle and all gear is dry and does not have to be put out in the rain. Maybe when we are older!!!!!!

You have to decide what suits you and your lifestyle -no-one can decide that for you. So far we have been able to go wherever we have wanted to go and park it without any bother.

Good luck with whatever you choose. It is all a means to an end.

Delfin Driver - 2013-03-30 8:08 PM

We have looked- and looked - and looked at PVC vans but we just don't think we are ready for one yet. On paper they look great but the storage for outdoor items is usually too limited. We carry bikes, kayak, outdoor chairs, boots and poles and we just don't fancy living with all that inside a van. Clutter is not an option! Our present van is 5.99m long, carries all that and we don't have to look at any of it- and are able to use any facility without removing said chairs, bikes etc. We can stop, make a meal or go to bed without absolutely any hassle and all gear is dry and does not have to be put out in the rain. Maybe when we are older!!!!!!

But that just depends on the layout, one of the 'problems' we have found with our PVC is we have to much storage and for the vast majority of the time we have large amounts of empty space, mind you, when the 'girls' come along it seems to fill up with all sorts of 'junk'. The only time we have filled the vans cupboards to capacity (and even then I had completly overlooked one cupboard) was when we went on holiday as a family of seven with all the frame tents and equipment loaded in the van.

My idea of 'campervanning' is to pull on the handbrake and we are settled on site, let off the handbrake and we are ready to go, but I have had to concede to pressure and allow leveling ramps with this van. :-S

'My' problem as a Coachbuilt owner is having to listen to the Sliding door on 'next doors' PVC being slammed, re-opened and Slammed again, many,many times, last thing at night and again first thing in the morning.

The noise is worse if their sliding door faces our habitation door (as in an Imported PVC). My response used to be to 'Fire up the Eberspacher Heater' which then 'drowned out' their noise, and added a bit of 'exhaust pollution' to the mix. But we have now sold the Autocruise, and bought an Autotrail Savannah, I suppose i could encourage the dog to Howl, every time their sliding door is slammed ? (a joke, but with some truth)

Please TRY and open and shut your doors (sliding) quietly, someone might be trying to sleep. Ray

Rayjsj - 2013-03-30 8:49 PM

'My' problem as a Coachbuilt owner is having to listen to the Sliding door on 'next doors' PVC being slammed, re-opened and Slammed again, many,many times, last thing at night and again first thing in the morning.

The noise is worse if their sliding door faces our habitation door (as in an Imported PVC). My response used to be to 'Fire up the Eberspacher Heater' which then 'drowned out' their noise, and added a bit of 'exhaust pollution' to the mix. But we have now sold the Autocruise, and bought an Autotrail Savannah, I suppose i could encourage the dog to Howl, every time their sliding door is slammed ? (a joke, but with some truth)

Please TRY and open and shut your doors (sliding) quietly, someone might be trying to sleep. Ray

The only time I keep slamming my sliding door is when the bloke in the coachbuilt next to me keeps firing up his noisy Eberspacher and creating exhaust pollution.

... and if his dog starts howling I fire up my Eberspacher as well.

( a joke - totally untrue )

:-D

One thing I hate about big coachbuilts and their owners is those that have massive lounges with the TV at one end and they then choose to sit at the other, so the volume is turned up really high - if I wanted to listen to Coronation Street I'd watch it, I certainly do NOT want to hear it from other peoples' equipment! 8-)

This is NOT a joke ... unfortunately! :D

As for sliding doors making a noise, yes they do, but no more so than some of the idiots who have coachbuilt motorhomes and slam the door shut all the time. :-S

Delfin Driver - 2013-03-30 8:08 PM

We are on our 4th coahbuilt and are contemplating our 5th. We camp all year and are usually in Germany/ Holland in February or October when it is often cold. We are outdoor people and definitely do not need a spacious lounge, but we have no intention of wasting any of our time making up a bed. We did that for years when our kids were small and when we were tuggers. I find it rather insulting to describe coachbuilt owners as people who would like to sprawl in a lounge rather than hit the big outdoors. Everybody to their own.

As a PVC owner I do like to sprawl and am not ashamed to admit it ... especially on the fixed rear bed with our dogs snuggling up whilst we watch a DVD etc! :D

Funnily enough we too have canoes, bikes, chairs etc and our PVC swallows the lot in the storage areas with room to spare so we don't have to move anything out of the way, or put stuff outside, to be able to get around and use the facilities in the van as normal, the same as you do.

You have to decide what suits you and your lifestyle -no-one can decide that for you.

Totally agree, we can only offer our own experiences on how we use our vans and what makes them 'right' for us. Just have a good think about what you want/don't want before committing to anything as it can be an expensive mistake if you get it wrong. :-S

Dear All,

many thanks for a wide range of thoughtful and considered replies.

I'm writing this while parked up for the night a bit past Frankfurt on the way to meet the missus in Slovakia.

I've seen loads of campers today en route, almost all cbs, and very few caravans.

I've gone from the sublime (old VW with sliding door and poptop years ago) to the ridiculous (monster 8.2m Burstner with lots of toys, but damp 'issues').

As I fully expected, it's different strokes for different folks. We've so far done 8.5k miles in 15 months and tend to move around quite a bit, so ease of setting up and getting away, plus parking, are key, together with damp paranoia (bitter experience :-( ). Still makes me tend towards the PVC, especially in light of comment about time you actually spend inside the van. We do all seasons, but majority is in summer, or at least when it's still quite warm, so awning and outside living are the norm.

We shall see (in 2 weeks when we go to Duemo in Germany on our way home. They've got a stock of 200+ of various types and have offered me a good sum, sight unseen, on our Burstner).

Meanwhile, as previously said, many thanks and merry Easter.

bolero boy - 2013-03-31 10:30 AM

What model burstner was it with damp? Heaven forbid Eddie or Lenny get to read this post! ;-)

Are they not German Clive, most German vans seem to be full of damp. They do conceal it well though and according to one member on here if you cannot see it it does not count.

Guest JudgeMental

What model burstner was it with damp? Heaven forbid Eddie or Lenny get to read this post! ;-)

But the thing is they can all suffer damp issues but some more then others....*-)

At least on here it can be discussed rationally whereas over on the SWIFT forum if you mention damp in your camper the thread disappears as if by magic!lol

Hi

I am totally unbiased as I have had a PVC and now have a coach built.

We enjoyed our PVC as, (was earlier eluded to), we could get down almost any road or track in Cornwall and Devon and park almost anywhere. The big door was only an issue during absolute heavy downpours or when it was minus 5 degrees,(all the heat went out when opening the door), but you learn to live with and use the front doors if possible. The plus about the door is that it gives you a large panoramic view. On a lovely morning there was nothing more enjoying than sitting having breakfast with the door open enjoying an uninterrupted view of the scenery, (for us, the sea, moors or Lake Garda when we went to Italy).

We decided after we had, had our PVC for some time, that we wanted to live in a van full time. We looked at what most full timers said about living in a van and took on all their pro's and con's and decided that we wanted the van layout we have now. This was our preference and it is obviously not everyone else's but each to their own. Our decision was made on the following facts.

We wanted a fixed bed, (making a bed every night was not an option), and a spare for visitors.

A comfortable seating area away from the bed area, allowing one of us to go to bed, the other continue lounging around and having some "me time".

A decent kitchen area.

Storage for essentials.

A decent bathroom.

Which ever van you choose to buy, buy it for yourself and your lifestyle. We have missed the PVC for its ease of parking and getting into tight spaces but it would not have been practical for our life style.

About time this subject was looked at in a logical manner so I decided to list all the for,s and against with regards to PVC,s.

For;

Good for poor or nervous drivers.

Good for those who constantly lose their way following satnav instructions to drive down lane that is obviously to narrow.

Good for hours of enjoyment trying to close the side door.

Good for those who just holiday in places like Benidorm so no need to actually try and live in it.

Great for those who love rebuilding things to get some comfort.

Good if you like to pretend you are just ‘white van man’ with a few windows cut in the side.

Good if you cannot afford the extra fuel a coach built will use.

Good if you make a habit of using your van for lugging building supplies around.

Good for very tidy people and you will need to be or you will not find any room to get the wife/husband in.

Good for very cramped aires.

Good for poor drivers, see first sentence, who are constantly knocking dents in their vans.

Good for those who love sitting inside with all the doors open, not sure why you would do this if weather is good enough, perhaps you could not get the sliding door to shut.

Against;

Poor if you wish to live in some comfort.

Poor if you want a proper door.

Poor if you like food and so need room to cook. You can get around this by taking that great burner of cheap beef burgers, a barbecue, and cooking outside under an umbrella or living on lettuce leaves.

Poor if you like a shower you can use without being a contortionist.

Poor if you like some insulation in cold weather, probably not to important if you spend all your time in Benidorm.

Poor if you want to carry that answer to a M/homers prayer, being able to get around better, a scooter. You can of course carry a ¼ hp electric bike thingy but my scooter starter motor has more power than this so why bother.

Sure others can think of more for,s and against but reckon this sums it up well.

(lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

It's always interesting to read about the pro's and con's regarding PVC's and Coachbuilt's. If I was starting all over again the first thing to do would be to leave the wife at home, all they seem to want is a Gin Palace on wheels. My choice would be a Merc 609 or 709 fitted out to my own specification, built to last for ever. The only problem to look out for on older existing ones is tin worm under the front window scuttle area which could mean the window being removed to cut away the old frame and a new one being welded back in. It is a spare parts item. Once you arrive home with it the wife would take to it like a duck to water, or would she. "Wishful thinking".

rolandrat - 2013-03-31 2:34 PM

It's always interesting to read about the pro's and con's regarding PVC's and Coachbuilt's. If I was starting all over again the first thing to do would be to leave the wife at home, all they seem to want is a Gin Palace on wheels.

Once you arrive home with it the wife would take to it like a duck to water, or would she. "Wishful thinking".

Wow! that's novel!

But why not start with a blank canvas anyway?

Going the bespoke route has its drawbacks, but everything has value, and everything will sell. A USP is as important as a full spec (IMO).

My idea of heaven; as far as vans is concerned, would be an empty shell, with the possibility of putting the door and everything else where I wanted it. Just sell me an unfitted shell and I could be happy.

When you consider the outlay for new; the first year depreciation etc; and the number of used vans available, we should be challenging what we are offered; particularly when it's accompanied by cr*p aftersales service.

cheers

alan b

"come on Cambridge"

It's a 10 year old i820 with 103 km on the clock. I'm now sitting in it at a service station near Vienna, parked up for the night. It's snowing, the whole of Austria appears snow-covered, my leisure battery is on it's last legs and the heating's so good I've had to open the rooflight, so not all bad :-)

It's also relatively slow, and it's costing me 105 euros to cross Austria one way (stupid GoBox system), hence desire to get under 3.5t.

Eddie knows about it - it was him that pointed me at Possls in the first place, so I blame him for impending bankruptcy :-(

rupert123 - 2013-03-31 12:30 PM

About time this subject was looked at in a logical manner so I decided to list all the for,s and against with regards to PVC,s.

For;

Good for those who like to go down winding narrow roads to beauty spots etc where coachbuilt drivers at too nervous to go so take a scooter instead! :D

Good for those who constantly lose their way following satnav instructions to drive down lane that is obviously to narrow.

Good for those who know how to use their satnavs correctly and are able to enjoy being able to 'see' that a lane off the route leads to some little gems that coachbuilt owners won't see.

Good for those who know how to close the door properly ... and enjoy the benefits it brings along with the opening rear doors too.

Good for those who just holiday in places like Benidorm so no need to actually try and live in it.

Good for those who holiday and use their vehicle all year round and have bought the right layout for their needs in the first place.

Good for those who are able to get it just right without causing any 'future value' problems.

Good if you like to pretend you are just ‘white van man’ with a few windows cut in the side.

Good for those who like to be more discrete than flashy coachbuilt owners but appreciate something with a bit more style than a box on wheels! :D

Good for allowing you to continue to enjoy travelling without worrying about the cost of getting there.

Good if you make a habit of using your van for lugging building supplies around.

Good for being a multi-functional vehicle

Good for very tidy people and you will need to be or you will not find any room to get the wife/husband in.

Good for those who are not 'slobby' in their vans and live in it as if they had a caravan. :$

Good for parking just about anywhere and not having to walk miles!

Good for poor drivers, see first sentence, who are constantly knocking dents in their vans.

Good for ANY driver to take the 'worry' out of damaging your pride and joy and then having to spend a load of dosh with a dealer to get the thing fixed and having to wait for 'non-standard' wall panels etc.

Good for those who love sitting inside with all the doors open, not sure why you would do this if weather is good enough, perhaps you could not get the sliding door to shut.

Good for enjoying the views and fresh air without having to sit outside when it's a bit windy.

Against;

Poor if you need a large gin palace and expect to replicate the space of a large coachbuilt in a SWB panel van.

Poor if you were blind when buying it and didn't realise it had a sliding door ...*-)

Poor if you like food and so need room to cook. You can get around this by taking that great burner of cheap beef burgers, a barbecue, and cooking outside under an umbrella or living on lettuce leaves.

Poor if you are unable to cook without masses of room or equipment.

Poor if getting a shower is your main holiday aim!

Poor if you like some insulation in cold weather, probably not to important if you spend all your time in Benidorm.

Poor if you buy the wrong PVC in the first place or are unable to make it more usable in winter etc.

Poor if you want to carry that answer to a M/homers prayer, being able to get around better, a scooter.

Poor if you still feel the need for a scooter as you're too frightened to take ANY motorhome (coachbuilt or PVC) down narrow roads and/or use your vehicle like a caravan!

(lol) ;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave

For;

Against;

Poor if you want to carry that answer to a M/homers prayer, being able to get around better, a scooter. You can of course carry a ¼ hp electric bike thingy but my scooter starter motor has more power than this so why bother.

Sure others can think of more for,s and against but reckon this sums it up well.

(lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

Perhaps in fairness to the OP, you should have included you purchased a brand new one, and hated it almost immediately, hence your balanced view here and despite the smileys, they do not fool anyone that knows your views on the subject, just accept it was wrong for you, period. ;-) but for others does very nicely thank you. ;-)

I should add that we were in ours up at Llangurig last week in the snow, and we were warm and comfy, you just may have bought the wrong van. ;-) and we do not have three dogs to act as extra heating either. :D

We have an IH with NON of the disadvantages you cite, we do not even have rear doors, a full coooker, a gas oven, a large shower, and a comfortable U shape rear lounge, and we don't need bikes, we can get anywhere we wish without them. ;-)

I'm not saying a PVC is for everyone, but they are for many including us, and we have had two CBs to judge against. ;-)

loungeIH.jpg.40386683fa574c587e3edb30a714cd3a.jpg

Guest JudgeMental

Brilliant Mel you have more patience with the pillock then moi ...cant even be bothered reading his nonsense.

I wondered for ages re this obsession with ovens and H answered it a while back..oven chips...yep ...oven chips. The man is clueless, knows nothing about construction and obviously cooking!lol, and is so prejudiced in favor of crap overweight UK campers, he fails to understand that some vans are as well insulated as CB's. And even if you want a fully insulated double floor camper, they are available in the form of panel vans as well....

I know Hugh from our shared interest in quality e bikes. He was fed up with a UK dealer who said damp in his camper would take weeks to repair and cost 1000's, probably a normal UK shyster, but we shall see... Whereas the German dealer I suggested offered him a decent price against a twin single bed Possl van (same as Colins Globecar) or a CB. I hope it will work out OK for them whatever they choose, and its not far off his route from Austria, and in a lovely area.

WildBill - 2013-03-31 12:26 PM

On a lovely morning there was nothing more enjoying than sitting having breakfast with the door open enjoying an uninterrupted view of the scenery, (for us, the sea, moors or Lake Garda when we went to Italy).

I can see that being quite magical....

JudgeMental - 2013-03-31 9:25 PM

I wondered for ages re this obsession with ovens and H answered it a while back..oven chips...yep ...oven chips.

For us the number one use of an oven (so far) is fresh bread - we carry part baked and if we can't source local (doesn't a fresh French baguette just taste so much nicer from a bakery in France?) we can pop ours in for our cheese and wine :-D

Guest 1footinthegrave
sean.clarke - 2013-03-31 9:57 PM

JudgeMental - 2013-03-31 9:25 PM

I wondered for ages re this obsession with ovens and H answered it a while back..oven chips...yep ...oven chips.

For us the number one use of an oven (so far) is fresh bread - we carry part baked and if we can't source local (doesn't a fresh French baguette just taste so much nicer from a bakery in France?) we can pop ours in for our cheese and wine :-D

We don't as Eddie said have an obsession with an oven, but without doubt it does for us at least add to meal time variations personally I've never understood the bar-b-que thing, just goes to show we are not all alike. ;-)

1footinthegrave - 2013-03-31 9:12 PM

For;

Against;

(lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

Perhaps in fairness to the OP, you should have included you purchased a brand new one, and hated it almost immediately, hence your balanced view here and despite the smileys, they do not fool anyone that knows your views on the subject, just accept it was wrong for you, period. ;-) but for others does very nicely thank you. ;-)

I should add that we were in ours up at Llangurig last week in the snow, and we were warm and comfy, you just may have bought the wrong van. ;-) and we do not have three dogs to act as extra heating either. :D

We have an IH with NON of the disadvantages you cite, we do not even have rear doors, a full coooker, a gas oven, a large shower, and a comfortable U shape rear lounge, and we don't need bikes, we can get anywhere we wish without them. ;-)

I'm not saying a PVC is for everyone, but they are for many including us, and we have had two CBs to judge against. ;-)

Looks a comfy lounge that 1foot. What model of van is that? Plenty of windows as well. Which ever type of van you buy there will always be a compromise. I gather some of the PVC's have a good payload as well and with the rear wheels being right near the back you should be able to put a decent scooter or motorbike on some of them. One bloke on FACTS has a 250cc Vespa on his weighing 150KG. Reckons he is will within the limits.

Archived