PVC or Coachbuilt ????

hughman

Guest 1footinthegrave
Barryd999 - 2013-03-31 10:34 PM

1footinthegrave - 2013-03-31 9:12 PM

rupert123 - 2013-03-31 12:30 PM

About time this subject was looked at in a logical manner so I decided to list all the for,s and against )

Perhaps in fairness to the OP, you should have included you purchased a brand new one, and hated it almost immediately, hence your balanced view here and despite the smileys, they do not fool anyone that knows your views on the subject, just accept it was wrong for you, period. ;-) but for others does very nicely thank you. ;-)

I should add that we were in ours up at Llangurig last week in the snow, and we were warm and comfy, you just may have bought the wrong van. ;-) and we do not have three dogs to act as extra heating either. :D

We have an IH with NON of the disadvantages you cite, we do not even have rear doors, a full coooker, a gas oven, a large shower, and a comfortable U shape rear lounge, and we don't need bikes, we can get anywhere we wish without them. ;-)

I'm not saying a PVC is for everyone, but they are for many including us, and we have had two CBs to judge against. ;-)

Looks a comfy lounge that 1foot. What model of van is that? Plenty of windows as well. Which ever type of van you buy there will always be a compromise. I gather some of the PVC's have a good payload as well and with the rear wheels being right near the back you should be able to put a decent scooter or motorbike on some of them. One bloke on FACTS has a 250cc Vespa on his weighing 150KG. Reckons he is will within the limits.

Yes, it is thanks for that,the van is an IH Savannah Tio, a UK company, we do have a tow bar on the back ( fitted by a previous owner ) that I believe could be made use of to take a small scooter carrier rack, but having come off quite a few two wheelers in my youth I've no wish to subject my old bones to tarmac again. :D

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I gather some of the PVC's have a good payload as well and with the rear wheels being right near the back you should be able to put a decent scooter or motorbike on some of them. One bloke on FACTS has a 250cc Vespa on his weighing 150KG. Reckons he is will within the limits.

Just done a quick fag packet calc, if we where to give ourselves the extra payload by doing a paperwork upgrade on GVW (we have maxi chassis) then we could easily hang a Harley on the back. 8-)

colin - 2013-03-31 11:09 PM

I gather some of the PVC's have a good payload as well and with the rear wheels being right near the back you should be able to put a decent scooter or motorbike on some of them. One bloke on FACTS has a 250cc Vespa on his weighing 150KG. Reckons he is will within the limits.

Just done a quick fag packet calc, if we where to give ourselves the extra payload by doing a paperwork upgrade on GVW (we have maxi chassis) then we could easily hang a Harley on the back. 8-)

I have exchanged messages with "that bloke on FACTS" and he agrees that he is unable to meet Fiat's limits on tow bar vertical load by carrying a Vespa on his panel van even though he can meet axle loadings. I have done all sorts of calculations and have exchanged correspondence with Towbar manufacturers and Swift and both agree that I cannot avoid Fiat's vertical load limit of 85kgs. By the time you add the weight of the tow bar and rack you are left looking at a scooter of around 40 kgs max and such a scooter does not exist.

However, payload on some panel vans is good. Mine is 586kgs and that is with a 3 litre engine.

Mike88 - 2013-04-01 9:21 AM

colin - 2013-03-31 11:09 PM

I have exchanged messages with "that bloke on FACTS" and he agrees that he is unable to meet Fiat's limits on tow bar vertical load by carrying a Vespa on his panel van even though he can meet axle loadings. I have done all sorts of calculations and have exchanged correspondence with Towbar manufacturers and Swift and both agree that I cannot avoid Fiat's vertical load limit of 85kgs. By the time you add the weight of the tow bar and rack you are left looking at a scooter of around 40 kgs max and such a scooter does not exist.

However, payload on some panel vans is good. Mine is 586kgs and that is with a 3 litre engine.

AFAIK there is no reason that a structure that gives a good enough capacity could not be designed and fitted, BUT, it would be an expensive option.

Guest JudgeMental
sean.clarke - 2013-03-31 9:57 PM

JudgeMental - 2013-03-31 9:25 PM

I wondered for ages re this obsession with ovens and H answered it a while back..oven chips...yep ...oven chips.

For us the number one use of an oven (so far) is fresh bread - we carry part baked and if we can't source local (doesn't a fresh French baguette just taste so much nicer from a bakery in France?) we can pop ours in for our cheese and wine :-D

HI Sean, it's one of he pleasures of being away, cycling or walking to get fresh bread in the morning......there is slways cereal or crisp rolls if stuck in the middle of nowhere.You can get an oven retrofitted to ANY camper, but like the majority of Europeans we don't see the point or need one. I can picture Rupert now in the south of France under his awning tucking into his oven chips and frozen bread Sarnie....Even the luxury brand German campers dont have an oven....but no problem fitting if you can't live without one. As a justification for buying an overpriced, overweight UK camper well!lol

Re racks: you can get racks that are not reliant on a tow bar. They even do swing out racks that take an ATV. They are TUV tested so legal....have been discussed previously with links

JudgeMental - 2013-04-01 10:15 AM

Here is one link

http://www.sawiko.de/fero.php

Saw loads of these type racks fitted to german vans last summer

Thanks for that. As I might sell the van at the end of the year and end my motorhoming experience I'll pass but I wish I had known about these a couple of years ago when I was researching this issue. I wonder if these are sold and fitted in the UK.

Guest 1footinthegrave

Don't overlook Judgementals other big plus point, if you do have a PVC with as most of them do, rear doors, it can double up as a useful vehicle for taking all sorts of crap down to your local tip, then when the time comes to sell advertise it as "one careful owner" :D

Guest JudgeMental
Mike88 - 2013-04-01 10:58 AM

Here is one link

Thanks for that. As I might sell the van at the end of the year and end my motorhoming experience I'll pass but I wish I had known about these a couple of years ago when I was researching this issue. I wonder if these are sold and fitted in the UK.

Had enough Mike? I may have to give it up in next year or two due to health...

There are other makes, I just had a quick shuftie through old threads and this was a link that Robin posted. Can't find alternatives that I found...the thread was Rupurts where he reported his favourable first impressions of being a panel van owner......what an absoloute plonker!lol

The ones in link can carry 100 -200 kg if need be, providing axle capacity up to it. Looks like a bolt on job. Just buy from germany and get fitted locally I would think the best option

Hmmm....1 foot your getting as bad as H with your prejudices. We have been here many times before. all our stuff is under the rear flip up bed, without doors I would not be able to load bikes or anything else for that matter so would loose the practicality of a multipurpose vehice and yes this does mean an occasionsl run to dump..what's wrong with that. Would also not be able to sleep with doors open on a barmy summer night. That you have to invent all sorts of silly reasons for you not having these practical options as your van has for all intents been turned into a mini caravan layout becoming a bit boring. Your as bad as the negative CB brigade just cluelessly knocking...

JudgeMental - 2013-04-01 11:24 AM

Here is one link

Not me. I have been camping in one form or another since the day I was born as my parents had a static and have tented, caravanned and motorhomed every year of my 64 years. I would happily continue but my wife has had enough. In fairness she has roughed it in tents, experienced leaky caravans and wildcamped in our motorhome all over Europe from the time we were students in our late teens to now so she feels the time has come for a more comfortable lifestyle. She wants to travel the World in relative luxury and fortunately we are in a position to do so. The thought of cruising, wearing a suit on holidays and staying in hotels horrifies me but there you go. We have a couple of European trips in our motorhome lined up this year so it's possible we will have a re-think but as matters stand the van will go at the end of the year.

Some lucky person is going to get an absolute bargain.

Guest JudgeMental
Mike88 - 2013-04-01 11:38 AM

JudgeMental - 2013-04-01 11:24 AM

Here is one link

Not me. I have been camping in one form or another since the day I was born as my parents had a static and have tented, caravanned and motorhomed every year of my 64 years. I would happily continue but my wife has had enough. In fairness she has roughed it in tents, experienced leaky caravans and wildcamped in our motorhome all over Europe from the time we were students in our late teens to now so she feels the time has come for a more comfortable lifestyle. She wants to travel the World in relative luxury and fortunately we are in a position to do so. The thought of cruising, wearing a suit on holidays and staying in hotels horrifies me but there you go. We have a couple of European trips in our motorhome lined up this year so it's possible we will have a re-think but as matters stand the van will go at the end of the year.

Some lucky person is going to get an absolute bargain.

We do both ...love travel. India at Christmas was a highlight and will go again this year...or maybe Vietnam. I couldn't justify the expense (india over 10k) if I had an expensive CB sitting here :-D

JudgeMental - 2013-03-31 9:25 PM

Brilliant Mel you have more patience with the pillock then moi ...cant even be bothered reading his nonsense.

I wondered for ages re this obsession with ovens and H answered it a while back..oven chips...yep ...oven chips. The man is clueless, knows nothing about construction and obviously cooking!lol, and is so prejudiced in favor of crap overweight UK campers, he fails to understand that some vans are as well insulated as CB's. And even if you want a fully insulated double floor camper, they are available in the form of panel vans as well....

I know Hugh from our shared interest in quality e bikes. He was fed up with a UK dealer who said damp in his camper would take weeks to repair and cost 1000's, probably a normal UK shyster, but we shall see... Whereas the German dealer I suggested offered him a decent price against a twin single bed Possl van (same as Colins Globecar) or a CB. I hope it will work out OK for them whatever they choose, and its not far off his route from Austria, and in a lovely area.

Come on judgie you know you cannot resist reading them, which you obviously do. I would point out that I trained as an engineer where you I believe were some sort of insurance salesman so suspect i know more about construction than you do. Every michelin starred restaurant anywhere has an oven old boy but at least i have the courage of my convictions, you are all talk, or abuse usually. You go on about German quality and buy a van from an Slovakia, your last German van was full of damp, although because you could not see it this does not count. I was wrong when i bought a panel van, freely admit it, they are rubbish, for me, and the owners protest to much I think. As for your other love , e bikes, with their 1/4hp ha, ha, motors, as I said why bother. Am happy to exchange views with most on here who do not sink to your level, you really are a nasty piece of work. In future I will try and ignore your abuse as others have.

Guest 1footinthegrave

One could say living in a one horse town such as Bedgellart, where it rains an awful lot, get's full of tourists for God knows what reason is rubbish as well. But some people do not see it like that at all, presumably you as well.

When it comes to PVCs why can't you just accept that others take a different view and are more than happy with their PVC, and accept they are not defending their purchase at all, just hoping to give the OP a slightly more balanced view than saying they are all crap. :-S

P.S I have had two CB.s and two PVCs by the way, and guess what non of them were or are perfect, but on balance for us at least our current PVC just had the edge over both the CB's, but I would not be so blinkered to say the CBs were rubbish, that would be quite ridiculous.

1footinthegrave - 2013-04-01 12:06 PM

One could say living in a one horse town such as Bedgellart, where it rains an awful lot, get's full of tourists for God knows what reason is rubbish as well. But some people do not see it like that at all, presumably you as well.

When it comes to PVCs why can't you just accept that others take a different view and are more than happy with their PVC, and accept they are not defending their purchase at all, just hoping to give the OP a slightly more balanced view than saying they are all crap. :-S

P.S I have had two CB.s and two PVCs by the way, and guess what non of them were or are perfect.

Spot on 1foot, packed this weekend and weather is great, cold but sun is out. Am just off for a walk, sun and snow, great, better than Benidorm in any weather. As for others views, their concern, i can only state mine and will do so. Some agree, some not, that is fine to, why should i put the view of others when i do not agree with it. I am fine that others have a differant view and will argue my point, i hope, without resorting to serious abuse, always a sure sign you have no argument anyway. When did i say they were 'crap' must have missed that bit, just putting a few points for and against, very fair I thought.

1footinthegrave - 2013-03-31 10:50 PM

About time this subject was looked at in a logical manner so I decided to list all the for,s and against )

Perhaps in fairness to the OP, you should have included you purchased a brand new one, and hated it almost immediately, hence your balanced view here and despite the smileys, they do not fool anyone that knows your views on the subject, just accept it was wrong for you, period. ;-) but for others does very nicely thank you. ;-)

I should add that we were in ours up at Llangurig last week in the snow, and we were warm and comfy, you just may have bought the wrong van. ;-) and we do not have three dogs to act as extra heating either. :D

We have an IH with NON of the disadvantages you cite, we do not even have rear doors, a full coooker, a gas oven, a large shower, and a comfortable U shape rear lounge, and we don't need bikes, we can get anywhere we wish without them. ;-)

I'm not saying a PVC is for everyone, but they are for many including us, and we have had two CBs to judge against. ;-)

Looks a comfy lounge that 1foot. What model of van is that? Plenty of windows as well. Which ever type of van you buy there will always be a compromise. I gather some of the PVC's have a good payload as well and with the rear wheels being right near the back you should be able to put a decent scooter or motorbike on some of them. One bloke on FACTS has a 250cc Vespa on his weighing 150KG. Reckons he is will within the limits.

Yes, it is thanks for that,the van is an IH Savannah Tio, a UK company, we do have a tow bar on the back ( fitted by a previous owner ) that I believe could be made use of to take a small scooter carrier rack, but having come off quite a few two wheelers in my youth I've no wish to subject my old bones to tarmac again. :D

One thing we agree on 1foot, IH is by a country mile the best pvc around, proper finish to those terrible rear doors, pity they could not do a job on the side door as well but they are pretty pricy allready but i accept quality costs. Someday the Germans may catch up, doubt it though.

Guest 1footinthegrave
rupert123 - 2013-04-01 12:25 PM

1footinthegrave - 2013-03-31 10:50 PM

One thing we agree on 1foot, IH is by a country mile the best pvc around, proper finish to those terrible rear doors, pity they could not do a job on the side door as well but they are pretty pricy allready but i accept quality costs. Someday the Germans may catch up, doubt it though.

Packed here in Aberdyfi as well, feel sorry for the poor buggers though, freezing cold, wrapped up like they are in some Siberian no mans land, trying to make the best of it, ;-) :D That'll teach em to come here clogging up our roads and car parks with their large coachbuilts. :D Sorry, couldn't resist.

Guest JudgeMental
Guest 1footinthegrave

Was the OP considering a UK van, I don't think so according to his post, just looking for advice on downsizing to a PVC. 8-)

Just a pity that so many of them are on a Fiat chassis in my opinion. ;-) Can't understand why Nissan, or Toyota are not represented. :-S

Guest JudgeMental
1footinthegrave - 2013-04-01 2:12 PM

Was the OP considering a UK van, I don't think so according to his post, just looking for advice on downsizing to a PVC. 8-)

Just a pity that so many of them are on a Fiat chassis in my opinion. ;-) Can't understand why Nissan, or Toyota are not represented. :-S

if you want a twin single bed layout the streached Fiat 636 metre van about the best option available unless you can afford a Merc. I think recent Fiats a fine base and a lot nicer then our last Ford..but new Ford on the way...

Rupert shows great sense of humour with his list of the downsides of van conversions, which works because it is based on facts! Mel attempts to respond in kind but not so effective as the plus points of van conversions are on the whole apparent only to those who own these vans and have convinced themselves that the advantages are real. Eddie however, seems to be suffering from a sense of humour by-pass.

Guest 1footinthegrave
robertandjean - 2013-04-02 1:23 PM

Rupert shows great sense of humour with his list of the downsides of van conversions, which works because it is based on facts! Mel attempts to respond in kind but not so effective as the plus points of van conversions are on the whole apparent only to those who own these vans and have convinced themselves that the advantages are real. Eddie however, seems to be suffering from a sense of humour by-pass.

Or another way of looking at it is Rupert123 uses "taking the piss" out of PVC's and there owners simply because he did not like the one he purchased. ;-)

I'm guessing your in the CB camp, your choice, just as a PVC was our choice from a CB, why you some of you CB folk simply cannot accept some of us do prefer a PVC is beyond me, it really is ridiculous. :-S

Well before I depart for France I'll say this - who bloody cares!

If you're happy with what you've got - and it works for you then that's the main thing.

I would say however, than there are some on here who really do go on and on and on and on and on..........with their point of view!!!!

To the extent of assuming anyone who does not embrace their beliefs is somehow mentally unable to judge to have made the right choice!!!

I think we all get the message - from what ever camp you affiliate with.

1footinthegrave - 2013-04-02 2:11 PM

robertandjean - 2013-04-02 1:23 PM

Or another way of looking at it is Rupert123 uses "taking the piss" out of PVC's and there owners simply because he did not like the one he purchased. ;-)

I'm guessing your in the CB camp, your choice, just as a PVC was our choice from a CB, why you some of you CB folk simply cannot accept some of us do prefer a PVC is beyond me, it really is ridiculous. :-S

Not really 1foot. I did after all print a very balanced list of 'for and after' points, very helpfull I thought . I fully accept that some do like them but when someone asks a question what is the use of the 'each to their own, approach. I would have thought a postive view one way or the other was more helpfull. I keep being told off by others for making the same point while they do exactly the same but with the opposite view. Why not just accept a pvc will always be second best, but if you like second best i am fine with that to.

globebuster - 2013-04-02 2:34 PM

Well before I depart for France I'll say this - who bloody cares!

If you're happy with what you've got - and it works for you then that's the main thing.

I would say however, than there are some on here who really do go on and on and on and on and on..........with their point of view!!!!

To the extent of assuming anyone who does not embrace their beliefs is somehow mentally unable to judge to have made the right choice!!!

I think we all get the message - from what ever camp you affiliate with.

You know what you are right, however people come on to forums and ask a question so rather than 'who cares' some answer the question. I get told people know where I stand, well i am not the only one who this could be applied to but i will still answer a question with my point of view, why should this view change unless i am convinced. I was convinced a PVC was worth a try for all the points others have made but quickly found out that the negatives far outweighed the positives and the positive points, like the side door are nothing of the sort. The ability to park is also rubbish, most will not fit a normal parking bay. Now i made a mistake buying one, freely admit it, but at least decided to get rid quick rather than trying to invent all sorts of weird reasons to keep it. Cost a few quid but hell it is only money. I will however always try and argue my point without abuse, a few, like Eddie rarely argue the point just give the abuse, perhaps he is incapable of making a point. Enjoy your trip we are not away until May and although have had two winter breaks feel it is time to be away again. Am off to look at vans tomorrow, a Swift, an Autocruise and an Autotrail, the best of British.

Guest JudgeMental

Archived