Inverter inline fuse size

whatsupdoc

Hi - Now I've got the lesisure batteries sorted (and fused!) I want to run a 1500 watt (pure sine wave) inverter intended for an 800 watt microwave (and I know it's a colossal drain, but it will be for only occasional use of a few minutes - and supplemented by 250 watt solar panels).

What size inline fuse should I use?

My calculations suggest a current of about 75 amps (I may well be wrong!) - ignoring the initial surge. The leads that came with the inverter (from Sunshine Solar) are stamped 100 amp. Are they likely to be beefy enough?

Not my field, but "O" level physics says 1,500W/12V = 125A. So, on the face of that piece of simple arithmetic, 100A cable seems insufficient. There is also a question of cable length, which greatly influences voltage drop at these high amperages. If the distance to the inverter is more than a very few feet, you'll need heavier cables again.

Also, I think you said you had fused your batteries at 50A each end of the + cables?

Don't forget that with batteries in parallel half the inverter current (in theory) should be drawn from each battery, and half 125A would be 62.5A, so those 50A fuses seem a bit suspect.

In practise, if one battery develops a fault, I think the inverter would probably try to pull the lot from the one good battery, meaning the same cable and fuse rating should probably be applied throughout. But, as I say, this is not my field.

Thanks, Brian. I based my calculations on the 800 watts of the microwave at 90? efficiency. The inverter will be adjacent to the batteries, so cable length shouldn't be an issue.

It all seems a bit of a minefield ... hopefully somebody may help to clarify!

I have understood that to calculate the load by a microwave is to add 50% which for 800w would equal 1200w so about 100 amps going full tilt. It all depends on what type of fuse you have used as they are not very accurate and depending on what type can carry a current of 50 amps + for a considerable time. As Brian has said the inverter at full load will take about 62.5 amps which the 50amp fuse might be able to take for a short period.

The fuse it there to protect the cable only and should be rated under the current capacity of the cable so under 100amps will be ok. The inverter has its own internal circuits to prevent overload

I would not bring the solar panel into the equations as you will need absolutely brilliant sunshine to get 250w

Start up current on microwaves is between 50-100% more than their rated current except for invertor type which are about plus 30 % plus.

You need to look at the fusing current graph for the type of fuse you are fitting for example quick blow fuse will often require twice the rated current for 10 seconds to blow but would still blow if overloaded by 20% for severel minutes. Each type of fuse has different current/rupture graph.

A fuse rated about 30% above the continuous power should be OK providing it can handle the start up current without rupturing. The fuse must always be below the rating of the cable to prevent a fire risk.

Alowing for the full output of the inverter and an efficiency of say 85% comes to 143 amperes. BUT modern posh inverters allow for the battery voltage falling off under heavy load and just take more amps. So I would want to use an air fuse of 150 A minimum. It very much depends on the CSA of the cables between the inverter and the batteries as this is what the fuse is protecting, not the inverter.

C.

Many thanks to everyone for the constructive advice.

It seems clear that the 100 amp leads are not up to the job, so I'm getting some beefy ones - for both the inverter and battery pairing, and once I've checked further I'll get some decent size fuses.

You should be asking yourself why would the inverter manufacturer be supplying cables which "you" do not think "are up to the job."

What battery source do you have to supply the inverter? An inverter at full tilt will rapidly deplenish the batteries and whilst you may initially get a large current this will fall considerably unless you have a large bank of batteries

w1ntersun - 2013-04-02 9:25 AM

Hi,

I read on one of the battery sites ( can,t remember which) but to run a 1500 watt invertor they reccomend a min of 4 100 amp batteries to avoid battery damage.

Richard

From a battery manufacturer ????

It all depends on how long you will run the inverter and the type of microwave. My micro works in pulses when it draws a good bit current and then idles for a time which means it is not a continual draw from the battery/s.

In addition it is normal for the inverter to shut down when voltage drops to far so should not flatten battery.

The distance the inverter is from the battery will also decide the size of cable required. Greater distance=thicker cable

Archived