Pinking

Tracker

Hi Tracker 

Hope this may be of help, I have come across a few with problems similar to yours after trips to Europe with lets say poor fuel,encountered on the way,,,The Exhaust was blocked ,We did all the usual EGR etc. but in fact the exhaust was badly blocked and gave similar power loss , and sounded like a petrol engine pinking under load as you say , around the 1200/2200.RPM range with very poor MPG, High back pressure in the exhaust,
Regards,
Brendan

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brian Kirby - 2013-04-08 1:03 PM

Tracker - 2013-04-07 12:04 PM

You can always rely on Brian to answer the question that nobody has asked!

Just thinking of your driving licence and wallet, sweetie pie! :-)

Thank you dearest - I don't know what I would do without you!!

onecal - 2013-04-08 1:29 PMHi Tracker 
Hope this may be of help, I have come across a few with problems similar to yours after trips to Europe with lets say poor fuel,encountered on the way,,,The Exhaust was blocked ,We did all the usual EGR etc. but in fact the exhaust was badly blocked and gave similar power loss , and sounded like a petrol engine pinking under load as you say , around the 1200/2200.RPM range with very poor MPG, High back pressure in the exhaust,
Regards,
Brendan

Tracker has now remembered where he hid his sink plug!

onecal - 2013-04-08 1:29 PMHi Tracker 
Regards,
Brendan

Interesting thought Brendan?How did you come to find out the exhaust was blocked can I ask please, where was the blockage and what did you have to remove and clean to identify and resolve it?I would be amazed if after just 17k miles this were the case especially as it didn't pink at all for the miles between 10k and 14k - although the economy has always been poor?

Has your exhaust pipe been alterered at all, say to make it longer and extend the pipe further back. If this is not done correctly and the pipe tuning is wrong it can affect ecomomy drastically. Generally extensions after the main box do not matter, but before it can have a large affect if not done to the correct standing wave length ratio.

Brambles - 2013-04-08 5:05 PM

Has your exhaust pipe been altered at all, say to make it longer and extend the pipe further back. If this is not done correctly and the pipe tuning is wrong it can affect economy drastically. Generally extensions after the main box do not matter, but before it can have a large affect if not done to the correct standing wave length ratio.

It all looks original to me with no joins where there shouldn't be a join, all very similar to other vans including the chromed tail pipe extension to clear the bodywork.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Tracker - 2013-04-08 2:28 PM

Brian Kirby - 2013-04-08 1:03 PM

Tracker - 2013-04-07 12:04 PM

You can always rely on Brian to answer the question that nobody has asked!

Just thinking of your driving licence and wallet, sweetie pie! :-)

Thank you dearest - I don't know what I would do without you!!

No, nor me, I've been printing off all of his advice and thoughts, so far it's shaping up to be bigger than the Encyclopedia Britannica :D :D

I have come across this often in cleaning out the complete engine head , inlet manifold, EGR,turbo etc ,,,,Yes muck ,in fact a tarry substance ,and happens quite often when high % biofuel is used . Lack of use (as in low mileage Motorhomes does not help) Inspect your inlet manifold and see if it is covered in a tarry substance ,If it is ,the exhaust system may be also blocked up . 
Regards 
Brendan

onecal. Are you talking about bio fuel as in raw veggie oil or processed oil into esters. Decent Biodiesel actually burns cleaner than mineral diesel. I run very high levels (B50) of biodiesel and exhaust runs very much cleaner with lower levels of soot and no build up of residues so find it hard to believe it is building up in the EGR valve. Naturally I stand to be corrected on this if it is a problem and accept biodiesel in europe can leave a lot to be desired.

I wish all that to be correct ,,,but I am afraid with EGR's failing I have had to do quite a few that have come to me  rather badly blocked up ,,,with poor biofuel not helping the cause ,,( as would poor diesel) with blocked up internals, lack of power and very poor fuel economy as a result. I am not knocking good biofuel,by the way
This does happen quite a lot in motorhome circles ,,,,maybe one contribute is not a lot of use ,
Regards,
Brendan 

onecal - 2013-04-08 11:25 PM

I wish all that to be correct ,,,but I am afraid with EGR's failing I have had to do quite a few that have come to me  rather badly blocked up ,,,with poor biofuel not helping the cause ,,( as would poor diesel) with blocked up internals, lack of power and very poor fuel economy as a result. I am not knocking good biofuel,by the way

This does happen quite a lot in motorhome circles ,,,,maybe one contribute is not a lot of use ,
Regards,
Brendan 

I tend to agree with onecal, (see my previous post)

As Motorhomes due stand idle more often than any other form of Diesel Transport, there IS the possibility of the Bio element dropping out of solution & sticking to any metal surface.

Similar to when we used Castrol R in racing engines, which had to be stripped down & cleaned after each race meeting. (getting nostalgic for that "R" smell, but not the stripping & cleaning) ;-) ;-)

onecal - 2013-04-08 11:25 PM

Regards,
Brendan 

I tend to agree with onecal, (see my previous post)

As Motorhomes do stand idle more often than any other form of Diesel Transport, there IS the possibility of the Bio element dropping out of solution & sticking to any metal surface.

Similar to when we used Castrol R in racing engines, which had to be stripped down & cleaned after each race meeting. (getting nostalgic for that "R" smell, but not the stripping & cleaning) ;-) ;-)

• 4 years later...

This is the thread that Ben refers to.

Millers diesel additive made no difference whatsoever over some 500 miles of use

I never did get to the bottom of it and we sold the van before I had the chance to bugger about looking and fiddling with various bits.

Archived