Vision Plus TV

qwark

I recently bought a VisionPlus LED160VD. My problem is depending on where we are I might get 156 channels others none - Stoke on trent being none. (Nowhere near a big buiding or other obstruction)

Also every time we relocate we have to retune the tv , giving as I said various numbers (0-156 channels).

Do we need to re-scan every time we stop?

PS we have bought Vision Plus 0i9-6005/VP3 digital TV amplifier from Brownhills of Newark , which was compatable with our aeriel. Indeed in their car park we got 156 channels. Unfortunately lesser results elseware.

Any advice will be most welcome

Tom

Guest JudgeMental
Yes you need to retune if you change location and reception not guaranteed, why do you think people have satellites on their roofs, and even then reception not guaranteed. As for 150 channels we could happily live with 10 or so as 130 are rubbish. This tv will work no better then far cheaper sets...

Your 'problems' are not with the tv, they are due to the freeview system ans your aerial. You will need to retune if you move to an area coverwd by another transmitter, signal loss might be due to aerial, although not all areas get the complete line up.

Guest JudgeMental
gocro - 2013-04-08 9:01 AM

You can buy signal strength meter for freeview to ensure that the aerial is pointing in the right direction,this will increase your chances of getting the most channels.

Now that a good idea...as in the past if signal difficult to find you could at least switch over to analogue and get the basic channels and option not now available *-)

maybe a better, taller, bigger aerial the answer also if you expect good results

Hi Tom, As many have said yes you will have to retune each time you move, it is better to have a directional aerial that you can point in the direction of the transmitter. Just look at tv aerials on houses around you to see where they are pointing. Your aerial should also be capable of changing polarisation ie. vertical and horizontal as the nearest transmitter may be either. Hope that helps, the website digitaluk.co.uk might explain it better than me.

Cheers

We were in Patley Bridge, North Yorkshire last weekend from observation we had a choice of three different directions and horizontal or vertical alignment. After a lot of fiddling we ended up with only 10 or so channels.

Many TVs come with a display showing signal strength and quality and, as with many things in life, it is the quality that really matters.

Once you get a signal of any kind you can display the signal strength - usually on the tuning menu - and adjust the aerial to get the best signal which should then apply to all stations from that transmitter.

Yes - every time you change location you will need to retune - life's tough innit!!

As above yes you have to re-tune. One point I have found it can pay to adjust the amplifier gain not only up but down as well e.g. at Crystal Palace with the transmitter literally towering over the site a high amplifier setting cut out reception altogether once the gain was reduced all channels were able to be received.

If you have a smart phone, there is an app that you can download called "Aerial Alignment" at just 69p. The App was written by a camper for other campers in your position. I have a friend who has downloaded it and it worked well for them in Derbyshire.

We have a satellite dome so we don't use an aerial.

Thanks every body , not quite what I wanted to hear , but it made sense! The only question I now have is on my aerial. Is the front of the van the direction that the aerial picks up the signal. I mistakingly thought iot picked up the signal all the way round.So if I point my van towards the transmitter Ihave achanceof getting a signal ?

Thanks again

Tom

Hmmm, Tom you only need to rotate the aeriel towards the transmitter, not the whole van.

Radio signals are picked up with an omni-directional aeriel but your TV aeriel will be either a Status directional aeriel which you need to point towards the signal source or it will be omni-directional (flyinf saucer shaped) in which case you can just try and tune without moving the aeriel (or the van). ;-)

Sorry I cannot be to specific , but I am very new to this (only one weekend so far ) My motorhome is in store so I cant go and investigate at the moment. But the aerial small and round on the roof ! the only clue I can give the moment is Brownhills sold me a 09-6005/VP3 digital booster , which they told me had the same orange code on it and was compatable with my aerial. This worked fine in Brownhills (Newark) car park., but not in other places. Sorry i am a bit vague , but i am willing to learn these campervan skills.

Thanks for your help

Tom

It sounds as if you have an omni-directional aerial which receives all signals and cannot be aimed at the best source.These devices were barely able to work with the old analogue system and are very poor at discriminating the best digital signal.Your best bet is to ditch it and get a directional aerial fitted,and even these aren't the panacea to all problems as they are rather small compared to the aerials you have on your house.

As GoCro says it looks like you have an omnidirectional aerial, for any chance of getting digital coverage, unless you are in an area with a saturation signal, you will need to change to a digital directional aerial. Something like a Status 550. However if TV is really important, and you like fiddling aboot DIY wise when on site, you could invest in a domestic aerial length of coax and a pole that you point in the right direction when you arrive. Dont worry about having to learn all this motorhome stuff, the day I stop learning (I hope) will be a long time away, there are loads of people on here willing to help! Main thing is get out there use your van and enjoy.

Cheers

Archived