leaving bikes on bike rack fulltime

camocam1

As we will be away in the MH most weekends from now on in I am considering leaving the 2 bikes on the rear mounted bike rack with covers on them so the question is

a) if I leave the bikes on fulltime will it cause stress to the rear panel of the MH

b) are bike covers any good ? if so any recommendations for which one to get ? and do I go for 2 x single covers or 1 x double cover ??

cheers

Ron

camocam1 - 2013-04-11 9:32 AM

As we will be away in the MH most weekends from now on in I am considering leaving the 2 bikes on the rear mounted bike rack with covers on them so the question is

a) if I leave the bikes on fulltime will it cause stress to the rear panel of the MH

b) are bike covers any good ? if so any recommendations for which one to get ? and do I go for 2 x single covers or 1 x double cover ??

cheers

Ron

Hello Ron;

It's not possible to say whether you will cause stress................unless you describe a) your van, make and model; and b) bikerack type and fitting.

Not unless there are psychics on the forum.........and it wouldn't surprise me !!

cheers

alan b

I would be more worried about them being stolen, but maybe that's because of where I Iive.

The greatest stress will be created when going over bumps.If it is a panel with a steel door and no damage is caused during driving it will be OK to leave on, because there are no time-dependent issues with steel in normal working ranges.

camocam1 - 2013-04-11 10:11 AM

Thanks Alan

Van is as 07 Ace Milano

bike rack is a fiamma "something" designed for 3 bikes (was on van when I got it) believe was fitted by the dealer and will be loaded with 2 standard pushbikes

[/quote

Swift puts reinforcing timbers into the back panel, so that Bike racks can be fitted, provided the dealer put the bolts in the correct places, then I'm sure they will be OK, most stress is put on the rack and fixings when you are driving along, rather than just being parked up. So i shouldn't worry about that. Don't know about the covers, never used them. Fiamma stuff is usually 'Fit for purpose' though, in my experience.

Ray

If the dealer fitted it it should be ok,BUT check that the fittings are properly installed with spreader plates and not screwed into frame bearers. The rack is rated up to a max usually 50-80Kg, but uneven roads and speed bumps can cause more stress on the fittings. Parked up with the rack loaded would only present a security problem-bolt cutters are a tool of choice for some members of the criminal fraternity.

As in the foregoing comments I would think that there would be no problem stress wise.  As has been said the bumps etc in the roads will cause the biggest stress.  However I would 'stress' over their security leaving them on there full time.  Even if the locks/chains are of good quality the rack is very easy to cut through.

RogerC - 2013-04-11 1:10 PM

... the rack is very easy to cut through.

Or even easier to remove complete with bikes!

It will only be secured to the MH with the 2 nuts and bolts through the lower mounts, remove them and simply lift it off complete :-(

Keith.

On another forum I read of someone whose bikes were locked to the bike rack on his motorhome and they were stolen when he was on a campsite. His insurance company would not pay for their loss because with that particular company the bikes had to be locked to an immovable object, eg a fence!

It will be worth your while checking exactly what insurance cover you have for your bikes.

How long does it actually take for you to put your bikes on the rack and to remove them then store them?

will check with my insurers as did read somewhere else that bikes are not always covered by MH insurance re accidents etc as NOT in the vehicle.

Does not take long to load the bikes but as I'm working full time just thought it may save some time as my wife could have everything else loaded and I would just drive away when I got home.

camocam1 - 2013-04-11 3:07 PM

will check with my insurers as did read somewhere else that bikes are not always covered by MH insurance re accidents etc as NOT in the vehicle.

Does not take long to load the bikes but as I'm working full time just thought it may save some time as my wife could have everything else loaded and I would just drive away when I got home.

Our bikes are covered on our home insurance, not our MH insurance, when away from home and are definitely NOT covered unless they are attached to an immovable object and a vehicle, unless they are locked inside and our of sight, doesn't count as immovable.

If the bike rack and rear panel can take the load it shouldn't matter whether its for 1hr or 1,000,000 hours and as mentioned above, greatest stress if over speed bumps or potholes.

I got a made to measure cover from bagsforeverything for a towbar mounted carrier and 3 bikes for about £70

Archived