Speedometer fault on a Carioca 5 Motorhome

Sambo

I have just had my motorhome MOTed,on the way back the speedometer dial decided to go haywire & after a few miles stopped altogether.The rev counter is still working.Where is the cable located,also could dirty contacts cause the problem.Your answers would be welcome thanks,Sam.

Do they have cables anymore? When that happened to my wife's Focus it was an electronic fault and the only fix was a new instrument cluster. I had it replaced by an independent garage who didn't know how to transfer data from old to new so I lost the mileage readings and fault lights appeared for the non-existent ABS. I had to take it to a main dealer.

No there is no mechanical cable, it is electronic. The most likely cause of your fault is a knackered speed signal generator. Its located on the offside of the differential housing but it needs testing as it could be caused by other things. Assuming it is the generator get one from Peugeot as they're cheaper than Fiat but the same unit.

D,

When we had our motorhome serviced by Brownhills Fiat Trained Mechanics in 2012, they told us there was a Fiat recall on our 56 plate speedometer. It might be worth seeing if yours has slipped through the net and not been replaced (it might not be part of the recall though). Give Brownhills a ring on 0845 605 5470 and ask to speak with their Fiat Service Manager. You may be lucky.

I had an '03 Carioca 22 (face-lifted X240 cab) & the speedo was jumpy on the test drive & failed altogether within 100 miles.

The dealer replaced the plastic gear on the sender drive & it gave me no problems over the 2 1/2 years and 10,000 miles I owned the van. I seem to recall that he said the part was inexpensive (under £10) & he said that he had come across this type of failure before. The sender is at the back of the gearbox, so easier to access with a vehicle lift.

I suspect that some gearbox oil is lost when the sender is removed, as there was less than the recommended amount in the 'box when I changed the oil last year (no visible leaks) . As Fiat decided not to provide a level plug or dipstick for the gearbox, the only way to be sure you have the correct amount of fluid in is to measure what you drain out ! The stuff that came out was very different to the recommended Selenia synthetic fluid that went back in, smelling like mineral EP oil. The gearchange was much improved & the gearbox quieter after the recommended fluid was installed.

HTH

Archived