Cornwall campsites near cycle routes

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

We normally go to France whitsun half term but Mrs Mental fancys some cycling in Cornwall. Any suggestions for sites appreciated......

Camel trail is very good and flat CCC site in Bodmin and a few good sites around Padstow. Blissland Arms is a very good pub doing real ales and food but up a steep hill, great coming back down tho. Also the Camel Valley vineyard well worth a visit.

I'll second the Camel trail, can be a bit busy, there's a site at Padstow end just 100yds or so off trail, sorry can't remember name. Also if you cycle into Eden project I think you still get free entry. Other than that we have cycled a lot around the lanes of Cornwall, but use MTB's as the lower gearing comes in handy on the hills.

there is a great caravan club "CL" called Chapel Farm Edmonton near Wadebridge. It is just a short steep hill down to the Camel Trail. The CL has amazing views and is a short stroll to The Quarrymans Arms pub which does good pub grub. The CL is £6 a night no facilities but thats what you probably want. We loved it :-D :-D :-D

The site in Padstow close to the start of the Camel trail and the town is Dennis Cove. Stayed there a couple of years ago. Slightly quirky site with facilities in former farm buildings and the larger camping field on a slope in parts. Cost I recollect about £17 in mid September so paying for the position. Another larger site on the edge of town but a long uphill walk back from the town centre.

Guest JudgeMental
Thanks everyone! Had found Dennis cove/farm sites on a cycling search of campsites and have booked for 4/5 nights. Thought I would treat Mrs Mental to dinner at Rick Steins restaurant in Town until I looked at the prices.... unbelievabubble! :D

Guest pelmetman
JudgeMental - 2013-04-16 5:36 PM

Thought I would treat Mrs Mental to dinner at Rick Steins restaurant in Town until I looked at the prices.... unbelievabubble! :D

Skinflint :D............................we had a very nice meal there ;-)....................and his chip shop is excellent to B-)

Guest JudgeMental
pelmetman - 2013-04-16 5:42 PM

Thought I would treat Mrs Mental to dinner at Rick Steins restaurant in Town until I looked at the prices.... unbelievabubble! :D

Skinflint :D............................we had a very nice meal there ;-)....................and his chip shop is excellent to B-)

OK... worth it you think? but a plateau de fruits de mer is £60. Cant remember ever paying anything like that in France....

chip shop uses beef dripping......a no no for Mrs M :-S

Guest pelmetman
JudgeMental - 2013-04-16 5:59 PM

OK... worth it you think? but a plateau de fruits de mer is £60. Cant remember ever paying anything like that in France....

60 quid.........go on :D..............you know she's worth it ;-)............

But I seem to recall they did specials for skinflints....................that's what we had :D

Guest JudgeMental
Keithl - 2013-04-16 6:44 PM

pelmetman - 2013-04-16 6:11 PM

But I seem to recall they did specials for skinflints....................that's what we had :D

The scraps for a tanner was it then Dave :D

Ah!....happy days! :-D

Guest pelmetman
Keithl - 2013-04-16 6:44 PM

pelmetman - 2013-04-16 6:11 PM

The scraps for a tanner was it then Dave :D

I prefer the scraps on here :D.....................they're free (lol)

Been going to Padstow since the 70,s when it wasn't padstein!!!

seriously best food in town is at a small place just back from the harbour called "The basement cafe" doesn't look much outside but we had superb food in there very reasonable ( was shown as No 1 eating place in trip adviser!!) and would echo comments that the Rick Stein Café in middle St is the best value for the stein experience! They do set 3 course evening meals for £20!! or did last December when we stayed in a local B&B. Would be interested in your experience at Dennis Cove camping site it is the closest to town avoiding steep hills and we have considered several times but stayed further out and just visited Padstow for the day!

meant to mention ther was an article in MMM magazine about 18 months ago cant remember exact edition which looked at cycling in Cornwall had 5 or 6 routes in detail with list of recommended stop off sites if I can find the article will let you know! Worth a look through the back nos! I do know that one of the routes was the Camel trail as it mentioned getting to the camel winery!

JudgeMental - 2013-04-16 5:59 PM

chip shop uses beef dripping......a no no for Mrs M :-S

Got caught in Brussels last year plateau de fruits de mer for 2, 50€, when the bill came it was 50€ each. Good job I was doing a bit of contract work at the time, put it on my expenses. :D

Archived