Autotrail Cab Lights

WhiteCheyenneMan

I'm climbing the wall trying to get lights in the cab of my 2008 Cheyenne 740SE to work! I'm not an electrician so, if you know of a solution, talk to me in simple terms please!!
All the lights in the MH work, including the normal Ducato cab lights, but with the exception of the two lights mounted on the roof unit that holds the 10" TV Monitor/Reversing Camera Monitor. There's a sliding switch on the side of this labelled Door, Off, On. I've examined the two bulbs and they look okay but yes, I will get some new ones just to be sure.
Any ideas as to why they don't work?
I've checked fuses in the Sargeant Control Unit; the monitor itself works, everything else works so WHY DON'T THESE LIGHTS WORK!!!!! Sorry, I've calmed down now............ *-)

John,

It was the fact that they are obviously wired into the door switches by the markings you gave that led me to ask. Might still be worth checking Fiat fuses.

I have looked at the 2007 - 2009 wiring diagrams on Sargent website Link and cannot see any mention of them so even more reason to suspect they are wired into Fiat wiring.

Have you tried lowering the light unit to see what coloured wires are used or possibly where thay are wired from?

I may still be wrong but just my thoughts.

Keith.

I think you've hit the nail on the head Brambles! Thanks Keith, I understand your points now. No specific fuse for any of the cab lights, but all fuses are okay.

Having removed the unit there is only a Din plug attached which I guess is entirely for the monitor. The back of the unit has a socket labelled 'Cable Input' but nothing is attached and I can't see or feel a plug in the roof to fit.
I have a new camera and haven't mastered the Macro yet so, if they load, the attached photos are a tad fuzzy ;-)

1175942377_P1000237(800x600).jpg.1308170afbf3da96fa9afa9b1c29fe14.jpg

1203912569_P1000236(800x600).jpg.edd8369e48a3a9e11b63d66fb44ce87c.jpg

1442585892_P1000235(800x600).jpg.d822102cd9874751536d71a6b9d0ea62.jpg

Hi

I had the same problem as you, my lights on the flip down unit never ever worked. I asked the dealer to check them when I had a hab service and they told me that A/T dont wire in these lights when they fit them.

There may be a good reason why they do not wire up the lights. Mainly to do with EMC (Electromagnetic compatibility) for type approval and other reasons as well. In Ducatos for example the interior light is controlled electronically and power is cut to the lights after a fixed time to save the battery. The extra load may also be too much for the electronic control module if all the lights , existing and the units lights, are all on at once and will affect Fiat warranty for the small control module which also controls other features.

On the EMC side of affairs, this is additional equipment being wired in which may not have type approval for use in vehicles from a recognised, reputable and acceptable approval authority. Much stuff comes out of china with approvals to EC regs but is not worth the paper it is written on. By powering up the lights say when driving this is a path for electrical noise from the cab wiring to the wiring in rear of vehicle, such as to the camera, and may adversely affect electrical noise. When used with a reversing camera this is intermittent use and allowed for. Similarly UK built van will isolate the habitation equipment from the leisure battery when the engine is running. If this was put in front of me for approval using the technical construction file method for approval which most motorhomes are, then I would reject it and say the wiring to the drop down LCD has to be isolated when the vehicle is being driven. If someone wants to fit as an aftermarket product that is up to them but type approval for the vehicle manufacturer would most likely be rejected. Hence why they probably are not wired up.

Jon

Thanks Brambles, perhaps it makes sense *-)
With the normal cab lights being on a timer, the cab is a dingy area for reading (with the seats turned to face into the van). I use a hook-on Led lamp at the moment, but there ought to be a better solution.
I see that Swift, in their 2013 Bolero have come up with some excellent Led lights on flexible stalks for the cab.

Yes, I was wondering how easy it might be to connect to the existing habitation lighting, all of which is Led so low load and the Control Box is close by. It's an 'Obserview SV10.21RF 10.2" TFT FLIP DOWN MONITOR DC 12V / 0.9A' It also bears a note stating that it "has a selector switch (which I've found) for dome light trigger connection (+ 12v or ground connection)...

Having proplems finding any specific data.

If you have found the switch for toggling the type of door switch trigger +ve or Gnd, then there possibly there is a connector next to it for wiring to the interior light. It probably has two connections for constant 12 volts and also trigger. What you need to do is wire the constant connection to 12 volts. The issue now is can you find the connector and which pin is which.

Archived