Tyre Pressures

Pete-B

Two words. It depends.

What are your respective axle weights- check on a weighbridge when you are "ready to go"

Give these details to Michelin -email address on their website (assuming they are Michelin tyres!) & also give details of make/type of tyres.

Michelin are very good and will come back with recommended tyre pressures.

Otherwise its just guess work

Or download the TyreSafe MotorHome brochure from here... Link and on the last page there is a load versus pressure table for most common MH tyre sizes.

I have found it to be very accurate against manufacturers figures when they have been quoted.

But would still advise visiting a weighbridge when fully loaded to get correct axle weights.

Keith.

You cannot do anything safely without knowing the individual axle, and the overall weight fully loaded and in holiday trim with people, pets and all possessions ready to roll.

So it would be best to load it up, take it to a weighbridge, get the weights and ask again.

• 1 month later...
Sophie2 - 2013-04-16 10:45 AM

Two words. It depends.

What are your respective axle weights- check on a weighbridge when you are "ready to go"

Give these details to Michelin -email address on their website (assuming they are Michelin tyres!) & also give details of make/type of tyres.

Michelin are very good and will come back with recommended tyre pressures.

Otherwise its just guess work

I believe that Michelin no longer do this (according to posts on other forums).

gocro - 2013-05-27 6:04 PM

I spoke to Michelin on the phone last year and was told that they were now constrained to give the manufacturers recommendation regardless of axle weights ( elf and safety don't you know).

Michelin's current stance on providing inflation-pressure recommendations for 'camping-car' tyres based on measured axle-loadings has been discussed several times on this forum.

In the following 2009 forum-thread Mike Chapman explains Michelin's reasons for no longer providing such advice in relation to a motorhome's rear axle.

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Trye-Pressures-Again-/15438/?posts=25

As I said in a 2012 thread on Michelin tyre pressures:

"It seems that Michelin is in a cleft stick over this, believing that ETRTO (European Tyre and Rim Technical Organisation) demand that they must advise the rear-axle 80psi figure. It also doesn't seem to matter whether - when asking for advice - the word "motorhome" is used. If tyre-pressure advice is sought for Michelin camping-car tyres, Michelin will assume those tyres are fitted to a motorhome and will trot out the 80psi recommendation."

Hi Peter-B

I have only just seen your post so forgive me if you have solved your problem but if not my Bessie 460 is fitted with continental tyres and their web site does give tyre pressures (when i last looked) and i carry a printed copy with me in the van at all times. If this is helpful but you can't find the info PM me and i will send you a copy.

The information given in the above linked Tyresafe document is generic, but is supported by all the major UK tyre companies. If like is compared to like from the major manufacturers, the same pressures for load can be adopted.

In this case the maximum of 80psi for the Michelin 215/70 R 15 CP tyre is for a CP (Camping) designated tyre, which the standard light commercial Vanco is not. However, the Continental VancoCamper tyre, which is CP designated, is shown by Conti as having a maximum permissible pressure of 5.5 bar/79psi (80psi rounded). This also agrees with the generic Tyresafe recommendation for 215/70 R 15 CP tyres.

As ever, it is necessary to ensure that all characteristics of a tyre are taken into account when making comparisons.

It should be noted that these pressures are only recomended for the rear, if single fit. The maximum recommended pressure for front fitting is 4.75 bar/70psi. It should also be noted that for 5.5 bar pressure the use of clamp-in valves is highly desirable (some would say essential).

Archived