licence,rv's towing etc

pubgypsies

Hi there, just bought a 36ft rv ( yes I was drunk) I passed my test in 1985 so I can drive up to 7.5 ton but this beast is over that, I have heard of a new licence coming out for these motorhomes and also stories of cases being dropped in court because of the "its not a hgv" and it only needs a class 4 mot argument is any of this true or just urban myth.

confused

Dave

pubgypsies - 2013-04-17 9:39 AM

Hi there, just bought a 36ft rv ( yes I was drunk) I passed my test in 1985 so I can drive up to 7.5 ton but this beast is over that, I have heard of a new licence coming out for these motorhomes and also stories of cases being dropped in court because of the "its not a hgv" and it only needs a class 4 mot argument is any of this true or just urban myth.

confused

Dave

Hi folks,

Unfortunately you have been misled about new categories of licence due soon, they where actually all changed just last year.

Now the bad news, you cannot drive your new RV on your existing 'car' licence (even though you passed your test in 1985) as you will not have Category C. The grandfather rights you have will only give you Category C1 which allows you to drive vehicle with a Max weight of 7,500 kg.

You will need to pass a full HGV test to drive vehicles over this. The only other option is to 'downplate' the Max weight to 7,500 kg or below as long as this leaves you sufficient payload.

Here is a link to the Gov.UK website with full licence details... .

But now the good news, as long as your new RV is correctly registered with DVLA as a 'MotorCaravan' then you should only need a Class IV MOT. As these are all electronic nowadays you should be able to check on-line.

Keith.

pubgypsies - 2013-04-17 1:48 PM

Thanks for the info, still seems strange that I need a licence that is the same as a lorry driver carrying goods and using a tacho and covering 1000's of miles a week, but if I have to take a hgv so be it....

Just the same as you need the same B license as a WVM for up to 3.5t or C1 licence as a 7.5t delivery driver for up to 7.5t. I supose it's best I don't mention that IIRC some RV's have been illegaly registered as they are oversize.

pubgypsies - 2013-04-17 1:48 PM

Thanks for the info, still seems strange that I need a licence that is the same as a lorry driver carrying goods and using a tacho and covering 1000's of miles a week, but if I have to take a hgv so be it....

Unfortunately, that's the view held by most people who buy an RV, and very often turns into an attitude they vigorously argue, (I'm not suggesting you fall into that category, but go over to motorhome (not much) fun, and you'll see what I mean).

The fact of the matter is that if you wish to drive a vehicle with a gross weight of over 12 tonne, then you should need the relevant licence, it doesn't matter whether you carry goods or not, if you apply that criteria then technically you could buy a 13.5 metre trailer, convert it for habitation and pull it round with a nice bonneted Scania that would be plated at 44 tonne, articulated and 18 metres long, but as long as you didn't carry goods your car licence would cover you.

The usual arguement is that when 'motorhome or motor caravan' appears on the V5, then this removes you from licencing restrictions, but for some bizzarre reason they accept that when they reach 70 they can't drive a VEHICLE over 3500kgs, even when the nice tag axle Hymer is plated at 7.8 tonne and carries no goods or has no tacho fitted. But surely that is only the body type or taxation class, nothing to do with the licencing requirement to drive it.

Archived