Water pump

John.N

Tracker - 2013-04-17 7:04 PM

If you are lucky it might only be stuck - sometimes happens over winter - try switching it on and giving it a clout or two with a soft mallet or screwdriver handle to give it a nudge.

How do I access the pump on the Legend? Where is it? Do I have to crawl under the van? (Difficult at my age!)

John.N - 2013-04-18 8:27 AM

If you are lucky it might only be stuck - sometimes happens over winter - try switching it on and giving it a clout or two with a soft mallet or screwdriver handle to give it a nudge.

How do I access the pump on the Legend? Where is it? Do I have to crawl under the van? (Difficult at my age!)

I doubt it is outside as they are not weatherproof.

Under a locker or in a cupboard at floor level is the norm - seek and thou shalt find - try following the pipework and see where it leads you!

DO NOT GIVE THE PUMP A CLOUT WITH A MALLLET Use some thing lighter with a gentle tap some pumps have a glass top where the filter is so be gentle or you will be paying for a new pump

Thanks for your advice. Still no go. Found the pump but it's not very accessible and I don't know where to start. It whirrs when I switch it on. Looks like I'll have to get an engineer. I shall be annoyed if it turns out to be something simple.

John

John.N - 2013-04-20 9:48 AM

Thanks for your advice. Still no go. Found the pump but it's not very accessible and I don't know where to start. It whirrs when I switch it on. Looks like I'll have to get an engineer. I shall be annoyed if it turns out to be something simple.

John

John

Before you go to the expense of getting an Engineer in try taking it for a quick run.

Stop a couple of times and try it again.

If it is indeed an " Air-Lock " it might just shift it.

If that doesn`t work all you`ve lost is a few minutes of your time and a few pence worth of diesel.

I think your Auto-Sleepers Legend has an external fresh-water tank and (assuming the leaking water-pump is the original) a SHURflo pressure-sensitive diaphragm water-pump. If that's correct, this earlier forum thread may be of interest:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Water-Pump-problem-and-spluttering-taps/30582/

Unless this type of pump is disconnected from the motorhome's water system, run until it's dry and left disconnected until the vehicle is 'de-winterised', there's every chance that water within it will freeze during a UK winter. If you are lucky this won't damage the pump itself, but it may well crack the 'strainer' that's normally fitted to the pump's inlet, resulting in an air-leak that will prevent the pump from drawing water from the fresh-water tank.

Water-pumps aren't immortal and 13 years is a pretty good lifespan (particularly if you haven't been draining the pump completely when winterising your Legend during the last 6 years and you live on the edge of Dartmoor!)

A replacement SHURflo "Trail King" 7-litres-per-minute/30psi pump + strainer can be obtained for around £60 on-line. Repair kits are also available, but (unless it's certain what the problem is) it's likely to make better sense with a faulty older pump to replace the complete pump.

Thank you Derek for your useful observations. I suppose that 13 years 'wear and tear' is a reasonable lifespan especially as I didn't pay particular attention to the pump when draining the system. Hopefully the new pump will rid me of the occasional spluttering which has plagued me over recent years (The tap splutters - not I)!

Archived