Do you really NEED a TV licence ... read the below:

Mel B

I posted a link which gives details of whether or not you require a TV licence which I thought some would find interesting as I, for instance, didn't know that if you don't watch it live or record it, you do NOT actually need one!

As some people on the forum don't watch TV as such, but instead watch DVDs or the catch-up service via I-player etc, they don't appear to require one for that. I referred specifically to no. 20 as it mentions 'touring' as I know the question of needing a second one has been mentioned before.

Why do I bother ..... :-(

Mel B - 2013-04-17 8:46 PM

as I know the question of needing a second one has been mentioned before.

Sorry Mel but why would you need a second licence?

I can't remember anyone ever mentioning a second licence before but then again I may be wrong.

Keith.

Not sure if that is the case now - I always thought it was, but it now appears to be how you USE them, not what they are CAPABLE of doing. According to the below from the TV licensing website ( http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/for-your-home/ ) which says:

You need to be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV. This includes the use of devices such as a TV, computer, mobile phone, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.

and the MSE site link it says under no 2:

So, if you have a TV but only use it to watch DVDs, for gaming or for watching catch-up TV (eg, BBC iPlayer, 4oD), then you don't need a licence.

It seems to not be as clear cut.

One thing that may be questionable is that if you have one for your home but then are away and watching TV 'live' and someone is watching TV 'live' at your 'bricks and mortar' home too, you may need another ...

this is despite it saying:

If your second home is a touring caravan or vehicle, you won't need a separate licence.

Personally, if I were in that situation, say I was going to be away and watching TV in my MH and was leaving a kid for example at home to watch TV there, I might want to get confirmation one way or another to avoid any possibility of a fine!

Anyway, I only posted this to inform people of the possibility that some of them they may NOT need a licence at all, not to worry them that they may need TWO!

I'm off to bed ... :-S

Mel had a look at the web site and yes it says if you only watch catch up TV ON-LINE, you dont need a Licence> I think this is meant to mean on a computer screen, as it is in fact not broadcast TV as such. Seems the wording has not kept pace with the technology. Hope you slept well!

Cheers Iain

Forget the technical terms, A Tv installed any where does need a licence.however you only need to one buy licence registered to a fixed address. Down here in s wales loads of students where taken to court because they did not have licences , Various defences where put forward, its the one from my Home , Yes i have a tv but i dont use it to watch broadcast Tv.I only watch welsh programes and the licence is for english broadcasts.most lost thier case and where fined. It was stated in court that if you posses a broadcast tv receiver you must be in possesion of a licence for at least one Tv. Now they state that a house let out with multipule rooms are ok if one licence is obtained. but the student flats must have a licence for each tv . The broadcast receiver is also covered under the radio licencing law set out by Ofcom.

It used to be the case that students in halls or residence could use the TV licence from their main address.

I read somewhere recently that BBC is not making info freely available on cases where a licence is NOT needed - this includes watchin catchup on Laptops and mobile devices. How soon do you reckon it will take them to close that loophole?

Ham

According to the TV licensing site you do NOT need a licence if you only use a TV to watch DVDs (ie pre-recorded stuff), play games etc, there is NO MENTION AT ALL whether or not the TV can receive live broadcasts:

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/search?q=watching+dvds+licence

What if I only use a TV to watch videos/DVDs/as a monitor for my games console? Do I still need a licence?

You don't need a licence if you don t use any of these devices to watch or record television programmes as they re being shown on TV - for example, if you use your TV only to watch DVDs or play video games, or you only watch ‘catch up’ services like BBC iPlayer or 4oD.

I'll let you interprete it however you wish!

:-S

Sorry Mel but I understand how you see it. But I am a retired comms engineer also a fully licenced radio ham and retired Magistrate. The law states if you are in possesion of A broadcast Tv reciever you need a licence . Why do TV monitors not need one because the have no radio reciever built in

O/T

I would like to see the BBC stand on its own feet without the use of the licence fee.

The goings on with regard to;

Over paid and over rated "Celebs"

Amoral senior staff taking redundancy payments

Poor program production of inferior quality (and I thought CH4 was bad)

Not having the systems in place to assist staff in reporting or monitoring the Jimmy Saville

Something a little better than continual cooking programs (Although I give a thumbs up to the Hairy Bikers)

etc

etc

Moving to Salford

etc

Do make wonder, if I am getting any value for my money !

Rgds

tonyishuk - 2013-04-18 8:51 PM

O/T

I would like to see the BBC stand on its own feet without the use of the licence fee.

Do make wonder, if I am getting any value for my money !

Rgds

You haven't said how you think it should be paid for, if not by a licence fee.

(?)

ham - 2013-04-18 1:11 PM

Sorry Mel but I understand how you see it. But I am a retired comms engineer also a fully licenced radio ham and retired Magistrate. The law states if you are in possesion of A broadcast Tv reciever you need a licence . Why do TV monitors not need one because the have no radio reciever built in

....I can assure you that the combination of various acts, including the Communications Act 2003 and Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004, has led to an interpretation of a "TV receiver" for enforcement purposes that is linked not only to its capability, but also to its use.

Hence, the enforcement will be carried out in line with the following statement by TV Licensing

The law states that you need to be covered by a TV Licence if you watch or record television programmes, on any device, as they're being shown on TV. This includes TVs, computers, mobile phones, games consoles, digital boxes and Blu-ray/DVD/VHS recorders.

You don't need a licence if you don't use any of these devices to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV - for example, if you use your TV only to watch DVDs or play video games, or you only watch ‘catch up’ services like BBC iPlayer or 4oD.

.....and I have experience (my student son's) of a demand for a licence being successfully rebutted because a TV was (genuinely) being used solely in order to support computer gaming, with no use for real-time receiving of TV.

By way of a similar example, if you use a digital TV only for the purposes of receiving DVB-T radio broadcasts, then you are not liable to a TV licence (though why you would is certainly debatable). The following BBC response covers:

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/foi/classes/disclosure_logs/rfi20080234_tv_licence_requirement_question.pdf

Guest 1footinthegrave
dmurton - 2013-04-19 10:23 AM

If anyone is watching your Tv at home whilst you are away you will be breaking the Law you need a second licence

I'm not one for breaking the law, but with respect how on earth would they know that you are watching a TV in a field somewhere, whilst at the same time someone is at home, watching the TV must be pretty smart those TV detector vans. :D :D

And MelB is correct the TV licensing site states quite clearly

"You do not need a TV Licence if you only use your TV to watch videos and DVDs or as a monitor for your games console" and of course as a PC monitor you would if you so desired be able to access many channels of "catch up" tv. I personally have a 32" TV as a PC monitor, even though it has a tuner built in it has never been used for that purpose.

I think the TV licensing system is lagging behind with advancing technology, my daughter can watch TV on her smartphone, does she need a licence, apparently not.

My guess is it will not be too long before the BBC has to be funded through central government, and the license scrapped or people pay by subscription

I can only speak for myself but I would be happy to pay say a £12 a month subscription just for the BBC .IMO it's an outmoded idea, especially given the fact that when introduced there was ONLY the BBC

Robin, The response also says that you should notify TV licensing if this is the case, and one of their agents will check! What happens if you do not notify them and do not have a licence, is not covered.

I have to agree with, ! foot that TV licensing needs to be brought up to date, but that is not an easy task.

....well, technically I read it as them asking you to notify them, not insisting (or implying a legal duty) that you do so.

If you don't register any address as not requiring a licence, you are likely to get a demand (as long as your address is on PAF, the Postal Address File).

You can then respond by notifying them of the circumstances.

In my son's case, he is in a 5-bedroomed hall of residence flat. He has a licence for his own room, but there is a TV connected to a games console in the shared area.

Someone (probably the hall authorities) have notified the TV Licensing authorities of this, hence the demand, met by a returned notification of it not being used for receiving live broadcasts.

Archived