• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tracker - 2013-04-29 11:34 PM

Barryd999 - 2013-04-29 11:15 PM

Fiver a night!

In the UK??????????????????

Run by the clubs????????????????????

Just for motorhomes???????????????????????

Dream on buddy!

Well in the spirit of balance,we're not exactly swamped with commercial/"non-club" sites/locations that offer that either, are we.(....????????????) ;-)

pepe63 - 2013-04-30 7:37 AM

Tracker - 2013-04-29 11:34 PM

Barryd999 - 2013-04-29 11:15 PM

Fiver a night!

In the UK??????????????????

Run by the clubs????????????????????

Just for motorhomes???????????????????????

Dream on buddy!

Well in the spirit of balance,we're not exactly swamped with commercial/"non-club" sites/locations that offer that either, are we.(....????????????) ;-)

Very true!

Maybe it would take commercial sites or individuals to start offering lower cost basic Aire type facilities to motorhomers before the complacent clubs that are supposed to support us sit up take any notice which they would only do if/when they start to lose market share of motorhome camping.

Until then, and particularly as so many UK motorhomers are ex tuggers with tugger experience of site sitting and no little incentive to camp any other way in the UK nothing will change - which is why we only holiday abroad now - that and the extra sunshine!

Guest JudgeMental
Bolly1965 - 2013-04-29 7:18 PM

I'll talk to anyone me!

I've chatted to loads of tuggers and a few people in tents. I have to say that the most socialble people I've come across have been on commercial sites.

Perhaps the fact that people are in a 'club' indicates their clique mentality?

Your not kidding! CC sites the most miserable places we have ever stayed, all locked up inside watching tv by tea time, or complaining about children enjoying themselves......Much prefer commercial sites with normal folks. If I had my health would still camp as you meet a better class of people still....

Some of our most pleasant holidays where in a convertible with a tent in the boot, Italy, Spain, Portugal..

JudgeMental - 2013-04-30 7:54 AM

.... If I had my health would still camp as you meet a better class of people still....

We had pretty much the same conversation over the weekend(..although my back just couldn't cope with tenting anymore (lol) )

but this year we will be trying to scratch the campervan'n'tarp "itch" a little, with my tatty old HiAce van..

(..can't see us gettin' on many "club" sites with it,to be honest.... (lol) )

I think we have to realise that for many, a MH or caravan is little more than an alternative to a hotel room(nowt wrong with that I suppose)and I doubt whether some folk would be chatting and mixing much when they stay in them either....

How can they ever universally succeed.

Sites are usually quite compact things into which are stuffed, sardine-like, hundreds of people; each of which from very different backgrounds who will have their own suite of values and expectations. Each justifiably wishing to experience their freedoms, many of which will invariably impact on their transient neighbours.

Add to the mix children, dogs, and the fact that people have paid handsomely to avail themselves of this masochistic existence and it is no wonder the club magazines and forums are awash with 'Angry of Clapham' style rants.

People that love solitude hate it when some random numpty starts banging on about celebrity-based tat, and people who love to chat are perplexed when their neighbour retreats to the confines of their little white prison, not realising they are just trying to have a quiet moment away from the kind of inane rubbish they are forced to endure in their workaday lives.

Some of them will be thoroughly decent, some will be selfish jackasses.

A bit like any group of people, anywhere, doing anything.

Guest JudgeMental
Last summer I went swimming last summer I might have drowned, did the back stroke and the butterfly and moved my arms around, moved my arms around :-D

JudgeMental - 2013-04-30 7:54 AM

Bolly1965 - 2013-04-29 7:18 PM

I'll talk to anyone me!

I've chatted to loads of tuggers and a few people in tents. I have to say that the most socialble people I've come across have been on commercial sites.

Perhaps the fact that people are in a 'club' indicates their clique mentality?

Your not kidding! CC sites the most miserable places we have ever stayed, all locked up inside watching tv by tea time, or complaining about children enjoying themselves......Much prefer commercial sites with normal folks. If I had my health would still camp as you meet a better class of people still....

Some of our most pleasant holidays where in a convertible with a tent in the boot, Italy, Spain, Portugal..

We stay exclusively on CC sites and have never found them anything less than friendly. A warm welcome from the wardens is the norm and they are quite prepared to have a chat and a laugh with you during your stay. As regards other campers we never seem to fail to find some interesting folk to have an interesting chat with. I must admit that many such chats start in the washing up area or on the dog walks. Having a people friendly dog seems to help as well. In the main it's worth remembering that if every one waited for others to strike up a conversation it will never happen. If you want to have a conversation then make the first approach and strike up a conversation yourself.

We tend to stay on sites between 2 and 5 days. I promise you that in that time we will have conversations with a least two or more couples minimum often leading to sharing a glass or two in the evening.

The only thing that does tend to limit this is bad weather especially early and late in the season when the days are short.

Guest 1footinthegrave

Two experiences we had on our last trip wandering around France, first one was having not found anywhere locally to get some toilet fluid we asked another Brit on an aire if he knew anywhere locally to get any, he said he did not.

We thought no more about it and went off for a walk, some while later we returned and as we approached our van from a distance we could see something hanging on our cab door, it was a plastic carrier bag with an almost full bottle of the stuff. ;-)

On another Aire we pulled up to find the three hookups in use, a Frenchman with no English approached us after I guess seeing my disappointment and came with a bundle of cable and sockets so that we could share his connection, so there are some very good folk out there still ;-) Not sure how many in the CC club though. :D especially if you turned up in this Brits van we saw in France. :D

BritMotorhomeFrance.jpg.2a95b1bfadfe2d5b3173f664aed4fecc.jpg

1footinthegrave - 2013-04-30 7:22 PM

Two experiences we had on our last trip wandering around France, first one was having not found anywhere locally to get some toilet fluid we asked another Brit on an aire if he knew anywhere locally to get any, he said he did not.

We thought no more about it and went off for a walk, some while later we returned and as we approached our van from a distance we could see something hanging on our cab door, it was a plastic carrier bag with an almost full bottle of the stuff. ;-)

On another Aire we pulled up to find the three hookups in use, a Frenchman with no English approached us after I guess seeing my disappointment and came with a bundle of cable and sockets so that we could share his connection, so there are some very good folk out there still ;-) Not sure how many in the CC club though. :D especially if you turned up in this Brits van we saw in France. :D

Snap. Had the same issue on an Aire in the south of France when we were desperate for a charge up. Went to see my neighbour and he rigged up a splitter for which I then gave him some of my Leffe and we became friends. Of course the next French bloke that came along just came and plugged into his splitter (4 way) without asking and blew the lot! :-D

I think you have to make a bit of effort really. I often crack on talking to people and you soon know if they want to be bothered with you or not!

mirage - 2013-04-27 8:16 PM

The above posts seem to go hand in hand with the daftness of leaning across to wave at another motorhome going the other way on a dual carriageway.

Its not daft :-D its just being friendly >:-) but the way to stop it is buy P.V.C and then they all IGNORE YOU (lol) its much more relaxing not feeling guilty when you didnt wave back as you were distracted talking!!

1footinthegrave - 2013-04-30 7:22 PM

especially if you turned up in this Brits van we saw in France. :D

Love to see the Caravanner's faces if that turned up on a CC site, mind you the Sargent Major would probably find some stupid reason to not let them on "HIS" site. :D

Maybe the OP on the other site was simply peed off at having us 'monstrosity' owners pitch up 30 minutes after him, get the awning out, sort the patio table and chairs and sit there drinking G&T while he is still levelling up, sorting out the satellite dish and joy of joys (it's our favourite entertainment....:-))puting up his meccano awning/sun room......  Isn't it lovely that these 'tuggers' give us so much entertainment....  :-)

What is it with tuggers ..............

Why do they need a massive awning and a tent and six wind breaks and a flag pole then have to trot off for water and manoeuvre the 4X4 back and forwards .....Makes me cross all that activity disturbs my drinking time.

maggyd - 2013-04-30 9:30 PM

mirage - 2013-04-27 8:16 PM

The above posts seem to go hand in hand with the daftness of leaning across to wave at another motorhome going the other way on a dual carriageway.

but the way to stop it is buy P.V.C and then they all IGNORE YOU (lol) its much more relaxing not feeling guilty when you didnt wave back as you were distracted talking!!

I knew there had to be an advantage to owning a PVC - I must rush out and get one now!

I never feel guilty about ignoring wavers, but I would if I passed another motorhomer in trouble and didn't stop to offer help - unless he was French of course!

Guest 1footinthegrave
Mel B - 2013-05-01 9:12 PM

... and if you don't get your 'fill' of being waved to by other motorhome owners ... get a Smart car - we've had loads of waves from other owners! :D

So that's why you got rid of it. :D

Archived