no caravans on drives, motorhome??

duetto owner

It depends on the exact wording of the restriction. If it specifically says caravan then I would think you should be OK, but if it says leisure vehicle or similar you will almost certainly be in trouble. And you may also find this terminology includes boats!

Problems normally only arise when a neighbour complains so keep in with your neighbours and you should be alright.

Keith.

There is such a restriction on my residence, it is in the freehold documents.

It also applies to motorhomes and a lot of other things as well.

I ignore it, I park on my front drive, no one has complained yet.

These restrictive covenants can be challenged in court if they affect your enjoyment of your house.

I doubt anyone will bother, it costs money and it is hassle most people don't want.

I am careful not to park on the road and keep well away from other peoples drives etc.,.

This year I will plant a "rose garden" in the form of a hedge, another stupid restriction is that I do not " plant a hedge" on the front boundaries.

H

I recall reading on a forum of a guy who felt affronted because his neighbour complained about a motorhome parked on his (the motorhome owner's) property. He thought the neighbour was being totally unreasonable. Later in the thread he posted a picture and the motorhome was parked virtually across the neighbour's front window.

If the OP is able to park his Duetto in a place that does not affect his neighbour such as in the example above I doubt whether anyone could object. Covenants are notoriously difficult and potentially expensive to enforce and I think I have read somewhere that the covenant is in place to stop people sleeping on the drive. Much of course depends on the wording of the covenant but personally I wouldn't be too concerned.

duetto owner - 2013-04-27 1:27 PM

who would enforce it and how? would it be the council [not a council estate pivate houses]

The enforcer is the person who imposed the covenant in the first place normally a builder or it might even be the person/organisation that sold the builder the land as a condition of sale. Local authorities often impose such covenants when they sell land.

Individuals affected can also take action through I think the County Court.

Depending on the age of the house there is also the 25 year rule.

It is an accepted land law principle that if a breach of covenant continues for 25 years or more with no objection by the person with the benefit, that person is deemed to have accepted the breach by implication and no longer has the right to enforce the covenant.

Guest JudgeMental
legalities aside *-) Do you really want to fall out with your neighbors. Just because you are happy looking at your van many others may not be......is that difficult to understand. Restrictive covenants are put in place for a reason...

It probably does apply to motorhomes, but I'd ignore it unless someone complains. Then, unless there's a parking restriction on the road outside THEIR house, park it there for a day or two. You'll find they'll soon withdraw the objection to you parking on your own drive!

JudgeMental - 2013-04-27 2:03 PM

legalities aside *-) Do you really want to fall out with your neighbors. Just because you are happy looking at your van many others may not be......is that difficult to understand. Restrictive covenants are put in place for a reason...

A Duetto is a Transit van. I'll bet no-one would object to a white-van-man parking his Transit on his drive.

Guest JudgeMental
paulmold - 2013-04-27 3:41 PM

A Duetto is a Transit van. I'll bet no-one would object to a white-van-man parking his Transit on his drive.

No sign written vans allowed on my road and its better for it........Can you imagine what it would be like with everyone just doing what they wanted *-)

JudgeMental - 2013-04-27 3:58 PM

No sign written vans allowed on my road and its better for it........Can you imagine what it would be like with everyone just doing what they wanted *-)

People doing what they want???? DREADFUL!

Guest JudgeMental
Tony Jones - 2013-04-27 4:01 PM

JudgeMental - 2013-04-27 3:58 PM

People doing what they want???? DREADFUL!

As no smiley I take that is a criticism. You want to live with a a gypsy camp outside your front door go knock yourself out......Rather surprisng from a vicar who one would think would be considerate of others.

Sorry Eddie, of course that needed a smiley, in the form I wrote it.

Still, letting people do what they want should be society's "default," with restrictions only where there IS a good reason. And when it comes to keeping one motorhome ( or even caravan!) on your own property I submit that there's unlikely to be one.

Guest JudgeMental

When you buy a property you are accepting the covenants....I live in a private road in a conservation area and have a vested interest in the appearance as does everyone else...

"Ignoring a restrictive covenant

If you choose to ignore a restrictive covenant, you could potentially face a claim in damages for the breach in addition to any injunctions granted. There are two types of damages that can be awarded:

Compensatory damages to reflect the diminution in the value of the benefited land by reason of the breach

Damages awarded in lieu of an injunction

The court may take into account what the parties would have negotiated for the release of the covenant and whether or not the claimant may have tacitly acquiesced to the breach by failing to prevent breach while having knowledge of it."

You really want to upset your neighbors that much, and force their hand. Canvas opinion first, be neighborly, and get over the nonsense that your home is your castle cose it ain't....

I took some legal advice on this and was told that as the motorhome is registered as a PLVC Private Light Commercial Vechile that legally is what it is and therefore is not covered unless the wording refers to leisure vechiles. Mind you if it is worded that way one could argue that discription would cover cars as well!

What really pees me off about people who legitimately park their motor home on their OWN property or Safely and legally on a road,is their innate jealously . This is probably because a motorhome is vastly superior to their own wheels especially the price!

Personally my vehicle cost more than a top of the range BMW!

Guest 1footinthegrave
yeti - 2013-04-27 11:17 PM

What really pees me off about people who legitimately park their motor home on their OWN property or Safely and legally on a road,is their innate jealously . This is probably because a motorhome is vastly superior to their own wheels especially the price!

Yes I can see them being really jealous of you. :-S or perhaps they don't give a s**t what your vehicle cost perhaps that would piss you off even more, or if you had a matching BMW to go with it and they still didn't give a s**t. :D

yeti - 2013-04-27 11:17 PM

Jealousy has nothing to do with it. Most of my friends think it is hilarious that I holiday in a camper van and jokingly ask when I am going to have a proper holiday. The fact I have spent more than their BMWs and Audi's only enhances their amusement.

I agree with Eddie. You should have consideration for your neighbours but on the other hand if you can park your motorhome on your property without affecting your neighbours then this is perfectly acceptable. The covenant can be ignored but that should only be the case if your vehicle does not adversely affect your neighbours or the neighbourhood.

I do not agree with those who say you should be able to do what you want. To the vicar I would say whatever happened to "Love thy neighbour". ;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
It's pretty astonishing that some on here have stated they are aware of covenants, yet they ignore them, probably the same mindset of people who seem to think all restrictions wherever they go apply to everyone else, but them :'(

Tony Jones - 2013-04-27 2:50 PM

It probably does apply to motorhomes, but I'd ignore it unless someone complains. Then, unless there's a parking restriction on the road outside THEIR house, park it there for a day or two. You'll find they'll soon withdraw the objection to you parking on your own drive!

Tony many Councils have restrictions on the length of a vehicle allowed to be parked on the highway. In Bedfordshire it is 5.4m so unless your motorhome falls within that length, you could get whacked with a fine. Amazing how a lorries cab can park on a road but not a leisure vehicle.

Found the above piece of info on Central Bedfordshires website by accident, glad that I did though.

Oh, what fun!

When was the restriction first put on?

Is anybody still alive to police it?

Does the building company still exist?

No its not a MotorCaravan, its a CAMPING CAR OK.

Good luck.

Someone has got to test the system, so why not you?

C.

It's that egocentric selfishness thing again. It permeates out national culture these days and is insidious. Common human decency, consideration, and respect are dying values.

The spirit of the covenant should be embraced, arguing the toss over semantics is not the moral ground I'd personally seek to occupy.

As before, we're culturally rapidly becoming a confrontational, territorial, self-indulgent crowd and it's just plain sad.

Archived