Stockholm+minitrip-Sweden;Sep/Oct advice

snowie

Looking to go for upto 4 weeks with aim of delivering some personal belongings to a family member working in Stockholm, so a few nights nearby and then short tour, and maybe cross into Norway. Kill 2 birds etc...

ACSI looks good. Any suggestions?

Cheers

alan b

Guest JudgeMental

while cost of living expensive campsites pretty cheap in Sweden. As for Stockholm itself you "could" overnight in the port carpark in the centre, but we could not find it..While looking for details for you just found this though.

http://blog.visitstockholm.com/new-parking-for-auto-campers-in-stockholm-2764

http://www.stockholm-parkering.se/husbilsparkering-i-stockholm.htm

Alan,

Stockholm has a congestion charge but don't worry as it only applies to Swedish registered vehicles.

Traffic can be a bit hit and miss depending on the time of day. Don't try going through the town centre on a Saturday afternoon, you'll get nowhere fast!

I spent a week there in March driving for work so if you have any specific questions ask away and I'll try and answer them.

If you have time visit the Vasa Museum Link it is really well worth the 130 SEK (approx £13) admission.

Keith.

JudgeMental - 2013-04-28 2:35 PM

while cost of living expensive campsites pretty cheap in Sweden. As for Stockholm itself you "could" overnight in the port carpark in the centre, but we could not find it..While looking for details for you just found this though.

http://blog.visitstockholm.com/new-parking-for-auto-campers-in-stockholm-2764

http://www.stockholm-parkering.se/husbilsparkering-i-stockholm.htm

Thanks for the links Judge; a couple of spots that look interestingly close to the centre; whatever that is in a city like Stockholm. Looking at site websites in ACSI Guide, there look to be lots of places with swimming lakes adjacent; but October might be optimistic!

I think we'll be ready for a memorable trip by then, so I'd better get planning

regards

alan b

Guest JudgeMental

Summers good in Sweden BUT! very short! We where up on "the wilderness way" one July and snow still on the ground *-)

I'm currently struggling to organize a trip to Sri Lanka for Christmas without getting tucked up :-S Managed it last year to India and payed half what my sister paid for a successful trip, but its not easy to organize :-|

Keithl - 2013-04-28 2:47 PM

Alan,

If you have time visit the Vasa Museum Link it is really well worth the 130 SEK (approx £13) admission.

Keith.

Thanks Keith; we had a memorable family holiday in Sweden, by car and B&B in 2004. (Looking forward to doing it in the van) It must have made an impression as daughter has just got a job there. We enjoyed the Vasa Museum then, so it should be even better after being remodelled.

The congestion charge looks worth understanding, and thanks for offer ref traffic.

regards

alan b

JudgeMental - 2013-04-28 3:06 PM

Summers good in Sweden BUT! very short! We where up on "the wilderness way" one July and snow still on the ground *-)

/QUOTE]

If only ! We have problems until a plaster-cast is removed etc which makes us less mobile than normal, until Sept at earliest, but you've got to plan otherwise it's a bit dispiriting isn't it?

I'm told spring in Sweden/Norway is quite something, we'll see

cheers

alan b

We were there 2 years ago and Stockholm,like any city,is expensive especially if eating out and we stayed at the local boat club. It had hook up showers and toilets,but it was still a carpark and cost 20euros per night. To make up for that out of town we were able to exercise our 'Everymans right' and free camp.

Picnic sites were clean and so were the loos with lighting and drinking water taps outside also some also had a room titled 'latrine' this was the chemical loo emptying point,the odd one even had showers!

Some supermarket prices were on a par with ours,more so if you shop at Waitrose or M&S Food!

I'm looking forward to it Will, and maybe try to get to Obrero; birthplace of the late great Ronnie Peterson.

Last time we stayed in a B&B, which was interesting, and not cheap, so I suppose it's all relative.

Didn't really take to the "official offies" but I think we'll cope!

alan b

Guest JudgeMental
fast food pizza, kebabs etc..not a bad price, and there is always Ikea:-D. But best value by far, and a bit like France is lunch “Dagens rätt” .Haven't been for 7 years but a 3 course lunch with choices including salad/main course/desert, could be had for a tenner (not in Stockholm *-))

Archived