low gas pressure ! shop needed

ips

Oops gas pressure gone really low but Defo half a bottle of gas. Presume gas regulator faulty so need a shop between royston just south of Cambridge and devizes close to motorway preferably.

Any suggestions.

I've got a spare regulator here at home near Kings Lynn (PE34) if you are close enough and it would help?

Also have a spare pigtail - Calor butane and propane just in case!

And the tools to change 'em all!

Always carry a spare - guarantees you'll never need one!

I can't confirm that either are open but these might fit the bill.

Webbs Motorhomes or The Caravan Company at Beenham, West of Reading on the A4 co-ordinates 51.405952,-1.130905

Or Marquis Motorhomes, Chievely, just off the A34 north of Newbury, co-ordinates here 51.47869,-1.306118

ips - 2013-04-28 5:46 PM

is this a common problem ?

Only when you are a long way from home without any spares!

One thing you could check is that the pigtail filter or non return valve, if they have either - some do some don't, is not blocked or the NRV isn't sticking?

Easy enough to remove and blow through. Some NRVs are crimped in and may need surgery to remove and some are retained by an allen key sized nut. Watch out for the flying ball bearing and spring when removing or they will get lost! A gentle prod on the NRV a few times with a thin screwdriver is sometimes enough to free them up - if you are very lucky!

Cheers will take it off tomorow and have a look. Its screwed to the top of the locker not one of the on the bottle jobs. Have to come off anyway to change so worth a look.

Thanks for the advice will report back with the outcome.

There continue to be occasional reports of Truma bulkhead-mounted regulators failing (and a radical drop in gas-pressure would be classic symptom).

If the regulator (not the pigtail) proves to be the culprit, the exact type (not just the make) of regulator will need to be established if a direct replacement is to be obtained.

A Cavagna regulator (as referred to by Peter) is unlikely to replace a Truma or Clesse bulkhead-mounted regulator without modifications being made, and Truma has regularly altered its regulator designs over the past few years.

Guest JudgeMental
my securemotion valve failed on way to Italy/Croatia last summer and I had 2 months supply of insulin in the fridge.....took a lot stressful running about from dealer to dealer. Got it sorted and German dealer refunded the cost..but i don't trust it to be honest as far to many stories! :-S

Many thanks to all called at webbs near reading and got same Truma regulator. Fitted when we got to site everything now working so was the reg as suspected.

Thanks again Partictlarily to tracker for his kind offer and to laimduck for his prompt reply.

PJay - 2013-04-29 6:09 PM

IPS

as a matter of interest, how old was the faulty part? As the van gets older, it's always useful to know, what spares to carry, just in case

PJay

coming up to 4 yrs old

Keithl - 2013-04-29 6:21 PM

ips,

Do you have a rubber or Stainless Steel pigtail? I gather that there have been less (maybe none?) reported incidents with SS pigtails than rubber so just trying to understand the reason for the failure.

Keith.

Its a rubber one mate

ips - 2013-04-29 6:55 PM

Keithl - 2013-04-29 6:21 PM

ips,

Do you have a rubber or Stainless Steel pigtail? I gather that there have been less (maybe none?) reported incidents with SS pigtails than rubber so just trying to understand the reason for the failure.

Keith.

Its a rubber one mate

Could have been the cause then! The gas leaches the plasticiser out of the rubber and it collects in the regulator as a form of oil and blocks the regulator. Have a read of the text down the left hand side of this page... Link to gaslow. I swapped ours for a SS as soon as I heard of the problems and (touchwood) have had no problems and ours is now 9 years old.

Keith.

As I understand it, and I might be wrong, this gunge leeching effect on the regulator only applies where the regulator is sited lower than the gas outlet from the bottle as not even gungy sludge can run uphill?

I've never had a van where the regulator is lower than the gas bottle outlet so I wouldn't know for sure?

Glad you can get the kettle on now.

i had a look in our gas locker and it looks like before we bought it the regulator has been moved upwards to the very highest point in the gas locker as the mounting holes were originally much lower down. so perhaps this is quite common as has been suggested.

Dave

lancepar - 2013-04-29 10:02 PM

I've had a faulty auto-change over valve cause the same problem. Removing it and connecting the pig tails to the regulator got the pressure back up till it was replaced.

B-)

Yes - I had one of those fail many years ago - so I abolished it and reverted to a simple 'T' piece connector which allows me to connect two bottles and simply turn empty one off and full one off when the cussed thing runs out at night, in the rain, in a gale, rather than have to disconnect and connect at that time and it's worked unfailingly for many years and countless gas bottles on several vans!

Apart from the one time I forgot that both bottles were turned on - never did that again!!

Dr Dave - 2013-04-29 9:24 PM

Glad you can get the kettle on now.

i had a look in our gas locker and it looks like before we bought it the regulator has been moved upwards to the very highest point in the gas locker as the mounting holes were originally much lower down. so perhaps this is quite common as has been suggested.

Dave

cheers Dave

yes all sorted now. Ours is mounted at the top so if tracker is correct this leaching thing was not the cause.

lennyhb - 2013-04-29 10:35 PM

I've got a regulator on each bottle with the output fed into a tee, nice & simple all the hoses run at low pressure and if a regulator does fail I have a spare.

That's the old fashioned way that worked so well and problem free for half a century that the Europillocks abolished it and the Westminsterwusses went along with the Bruxellesmafia.

Progress eh? Doncha just love it!

Archived