Fresnel "blindspot" lens?

Not a MH query(but here gets more traffic than "Hints").I've recently fitted a full width rear step and storage box to our Toyota Hiace van and I'm toying with various means of viewing it, for when I'm reversing.

I'm not really looking at a camera or sensors,although some form of long armed,tailgate mirror was one option(as seen on some Jap' grey-imports) but I just wondered if anyone has experience of using a "stick-on" Fresnel blind spot lens and if so, how do they rate them/it?...

Thanks

We've got one in the rear window of our AT and it really does give a much wider field of view than without. Ideally you need it as low down as possible in the window to see nearer the van (ours is at the top to clear the bike rack).

And they are not 'sticky' but adhere to the glass by wetting and then squeezing out all the air and water. You can peel them off and reposition at any time without leaving a mess.

For a tenner, or less, give one a go as you have nothing to lose.

Keith.

Guest JudgeMental
used them in back window of pick up trucks when we had demountable campers. They gave a view of truck bed and helped with loading....

We've had them in the past and they do work, however you won't be able to see your step with one - I'd suggest getting one of the mirrors which you mentioned as that seems to be the most obvious solution.

pepe63 - 2013-05-01 7:50 PM

I'm not really looking at a camera or sensors,although some form of long armed,tailgate mirror was one option(as seen on some Jap' grey-imports) but I just wondered if anyone has experience of using a "stick-on" Fresnel blind spot lens and if so, how do they rate them/it?...

Thanks

I've had one of these on the back of my van for at least 8 years or so and have found it useful, although it took a bit of getting used to.

I often spot cars close behind me which I can not see in my mirrors.

It has quite a wide angle but can't see the ground immediately behind the van.

I was told it would deteriorate and get less clear but that's not happened yet.

When following vehicles first appear on the screen they look as if they are a long way behind - but are in fact quite close - that's the bit that you get used to.

They are not very expensive so I would suggest they are worth a try.

Archived