Accessories at a DECENT price!!

Bulletguy

We are all well aware of the horrendous prices charged for many motorhome/caravan accessories so thought i'd just post about this.

The shower head needed replacing in my van. Shopping around online the Reich came out as the nearest match and Towsure had them on their website at a 'reasonable' £15. But when I phoned they were out of stock in all three stores and no delivery for another 2-3 weeks. No use to me as i'm away then.

So I began searching elsewhere and was staggered at the prices. £19 was the 'best' I could find though I had even found the same shower head being sold at a staggering £25!!

Then suddenly I hit 'the jackpot'..........£12.95!!

And at just £2.95 their postal charge was reasonable too so I ended up buying a Fiamma awning tie down kit plus plates and they sent the lot for the same postage.

This is the website

http://www.thecaravanshop.co.uk/index.php

pepe63 - 2013-05-23 5:35 PM

That link may be a handy thing for some to save..as it shows "Europe Del charges"...

BG..

So you've fitted a wind-out awning then..How did you get on?

Gave up looking for a decent one on ebay as most were selling at almost cost of new anyway!

Ordered a Fiamma 3mtr with AutoSleepers who are fitting it next Friday.....two days before i'm off on my travels!

Decided to go with A/S as they were the only fitters who told me exactly what they use and how they fit. They don't cut out any interior lining panels as other fitters were telling me. As A/S said, "you won't even know we've been inside your van".

I don't know which Duetto you have,so the following may not be relevant..

but this photo is the one they fitted on our '03 Transit and you can just about make out(as I've mentioned before)that due to the shower room window,the rear bracket was really too far forwards,and didn't fully support the pivot assembly...this resulted in the "awning box" flexing and twisting when it was deployed..

..also if you got up on steps and cast your eye along the length of the awning, the "mounting faces" of their wedges didn't align properly either...so even when closed,the awning body had a noticeable "bow" in it....

This "bow" was noticeable even when viewed from the ground.

If any of this is relevant to your van, just keep an eye on what they do..... :-S

(Sorry the photo's a bit small).

546701985_Duetto(resizedimage).jpg.8ea9f82eab846bf723af6317038dacb4.jpg

It's a Mk5 LWB pepe, so a few inches longer than your 03 which is a MWB.

I already knew a 3mtr would fit on mine as a friend has the identical base model. A/S told me they usually fit 2.6m but agreed 3m will fit and the price difference is very little. I've discussed at length with them about it fitting precisely and they've assured me about their standard of work which will be warranted.

I've told them, where i'm going it will get a damn good 'road testing'! :D

Bulletguy - 2013-05-23 6:57 PM

Decided to go with A/S as they were the only fitters who told me exactly what they use and how they fit. They don't cut out any interior lining panels as other fitters were telling me. As A/S said, "you won't even know we've been inside your van".

BG,

Friends of ours had an awning fitted to an AS Trident, on a VW with a high roof, by AS and they did not do any work from inside the van.

Apparently there are reinforcements inside in the roof and they 'glued and screwed' the mounting blocks onto the outside at the exact positions which obviously they know! Then the awning brackets where secured to these.

The only problem they had was that there was then a large gap between the awning case and roof and water poured through this gap and into the open door, so they had to get a wide sealing strip to fill the gap.

Keith.

That's what A/S told me. They use threaded bolts with industrial adhesive which 'locks' the bolt in and these don't go through into the inside at all. Also as you say they fit wedges behind the awning housing before fitting up in order to compensate the roof angle.

The gap you mention, Fiamma market a strip specifically for this purpose.

http://www.agentfiamma.co.uk/fiamma-rain-guard-water-seal.html

Whether AS keep them in stock or not i've no idea. Doubt I will see any rain anyway until I return back here!

I don't recall us having any strip on ours...and a sealing strip would help stop the gap between the van and the awning getting filled with bl**dy leaves and pine needles! *-) ..

One other point I've remembered BG(..I may've mentioned it in my previous witterings (lol) ).on ours the mounting blocks were fitted tight to the top of the gutter rail and this,along with the mastic they used made the section of gutter between the mounting blocks "captive", so once water got in it could get out...

..but again,as your van is a total different model, this may be of no consequence to you..

going back to OP this is a cracking wee source of Accessories there prices are rarely bettered and guy in shop, Neil, is really friendly. i have been using them for kore years than I care to admit to.

:-D

Docted

docted - 2013-05-27 1:50 PM

going back to OP this is a cracking wee source of Accessories there prices are rarely bettered and guy in shop, Neil, is really friendly. i have been using them for kore years than I care to admit to.

:-D

Docted

BIB.......how right you are. Just look at this as an example;

http://www.thecaravanshop.co.uk/toilets-chemicals/thetford-chemicals/aqua-kem-2-litre-25-extra-free/prod_73.html

£9.95!!!

At my local accessory shop it's £14 for the same size Thetford Blue!!! And they buy it in the crate load too. I've no idea how big a business The Caravan Shop is or if he has a number of outlets, but if he can sell at £4 less than a big Company.........then just what the hell is going on?

To be fair though, that item you've picked out is flagged up as a "PROMO...whilst stocks last.."

..and there's always the p&p to add after.... ;-)

Also,if they are just a company with a warehouse and an online presence, then it's to be expected that their overheads(shops premises,sales staff etc) will/may be lower...

Having said that,I know a while back our local MH/caravan outlet/spares place was selling loo fluids in double- packs,(Blue & pink),on a "Buy Blue,get Pink free" basis...

So it is sometimes possible to get a decent deal from "shops".. ;-)

Bulletguy - 2013-05-24 1:54 AM

That's what A/S told me. They use threaded bolts with industrial adhesive which 'locks' the bolt in and these don't go through into the inside at all. Also as you say they fit wedges behind the awning housing before fitting up in order to compensate the roof angle.

Whether AS keep them in stock or not i've no idea. Doubt I will see any rain anyway until I return back here!

I bought and returned this strip, totally useless. The strip could be inserted for about a metre and the weight and the force generated by the sealing lip being forced into a curve was enough to force it out of the groove. I bought some closed cell foam approx. 25mm thick and silicone sealed it to the roof and F45 case. Worked for me on Ducatto PVC.

quickweh - 2013-05-29 10:09 AM

Bulletguy - 2013-05-24 1:54 AM

I bought and returned this strip, totally useless. The strip could be inserted for about a metre and the weight and the force generated by the sealing lip being forced into a curve was enough to force it out of the groove. I bought some closed cell foam approx. 25mm thick and silicone sealed it to the roof and F45 case. Worked for me on Ducatto PVC.

I have fitted a couple of days ago a 3.7 metro fiamma awning ,included in the kit brackets,awning and a strip of closed cell foam which is placed on the roof of the van between the brackets before fitting the awning,the weight of the awning compresses the foam so no water should be able to pass down the side of the awning .The strip that Bulletguy refers to looks to be an after fitting.

pepe63 - 2013-05-29 8:33 AM

To be fair though, that item you've picked out is flagged up as a "PROMO...whilst stocks last.."

Also,if they are just a company with a warehouse and an online presence, then it's to be expected that their overheads(shops premises,sales staff etc) will/may be lower...

Having said that,I know a while back our local MH/caravan outlet/spares place was selling loo fluids in double- packs,(Blue & pink),on a "Buy Blue,get Pink free" basis...

True though as 'Docted' comments who appears to live in the locality, his general prices (non Promo) are very good and take some beating. I bought a shower head, awning tie down kit and awning leg plates off him.....the latter two being fairly weighty items.....yet he only charged me £2.95 P&P. Not only do I think that reasonable.....I reckon it's damn cheap!!

It appears he is obviously aware of the power of 'online shopping' and I for one won't hesitate to buy from him again.

quickweh - 2013-05-29 10:09 AM

Very useful 'info' and glad you posted about this. Will bear this in mind when A/S fit my awning on Friday.

But doesn't the foam absorb at least a certain amount of water? That would be my only concern.

auntyjanet1 - 2013-05-29 10:44 AM

I have fitted a couple of days ago a 3.7 metro fiamma awning ,included in the kit brackets,awning and a strip of closed cell foam which is placed on the roof of the van between the brackets before fitting the awning,the weight of the awning compresses the foam so no water should be able to pass down the side of the awning .The strip that Bulletguy refers to looks to be an after fitting.

Yes it is an 'after market' fitting.......which appears to be useless and a waste of money!!

pepe63 - 2013-05-29 8:33 AM

Pepe F.Y.I. it is based on a shop in the west end of Glasgow, in an area where he will have fairly high overheads and they are always pleased to see customers in the shop.

Docted

Archived