Van Converters in North West

Dave Hockin

We are looking for a new van and are having a problem. Probably one everyone has i.e. seats from this one, kitchen from this one e.t.c. So thinking of a custom build therefore looking for a converter in the North West (we live in Stockport). Anyone got any recomendations please.

Thanks for any comments.

Local may save you time and distance but not necessarily be the best option.

Have you considered going to a show or two and speaking to the converters present as there are usually several ranging from the well known to the unknown and from the sublime to the ridiculous!

Dave Hockin - 2013-05-23 6:46 PM

We are looking for a new van and are having a problem. Probably one everyone has i.e. seats from this one, kitchen from this one e.t.c. So thinking of a custom build therefore looking for a converter in the North West (we live in Stockport). Anyone got any recomendations please.

Thanks for any comments.

I'd keep an open mind Dave; some converters will do a van to your very unique requirements, some will do variations on their tried and tested themes. I'd check as many out as you can, and listen to advice, see how much they want to steer you in their direction, see how willing they are to use materials you want. Proximity is handy; but confidence is key.

Be very clear what's included and delivery. And get a delivery date.

It's a bit like having a house built!

And it can be as frightening,

Good Luck

alan b

Just walking around the parked vans camping or parking at shows and talking to people with similar vans can yield invaluable information - such as how helpful and on time the converters are, whether the design features and layout chosen works in real life.

If you are very lucky you might even find an owner with a van to sell - we have in the past and we've saved a fortune when we have been cash buyers with no p/x.

Thanks for any comments.

Try these.

www.Leisuredrive.co.uk. They will be at the Northern motorhome show at the Cheshire show ground

Hi don't know if you have got sorted but if you type in sms campers on your in to your internet server

This company is in delph they can do you a bespoke van and they let you choose your layout to suit your needs as everybodys needs are diferent :-D

Thanks for your replies. Perhaps I should have said that I don`t want a VW, which rules out quite alot. Also I want one fairly local so that if something goes wrong I can get my my hands round their throat easily!

Thanks for SMS campers, they don`t seem to have a web site and havent come up on my searches.

Anyone for any more?

Thanks for any comments.

Hi again Dave.

These questions can gnaw away at you can't they. Been there done it etc.

I think it only fair to pass on ones experience, and considered view, that's why we join a forum like this .

I don't know how many vans, caravans or tents you've had over how many years, so I apologise if this sounds like trying to teach your granny to suck eggs (why? I've no idea)

You've discounted the VW options, so you are probably looking PVC on a Sevel based vehicle, Renault or Merc.

You may already have the van or be looking for a brand new, or nearly new van.

You mention seats and kitchen, but don't say whether you have a layout in mind.

We went the bespoke route, on a Ducato, because we couldn't find a layout that suited us, so I designed it and we found a converter.

If we had settled on a mainstream layout, front dinette, rear bathroom, mid kitchen double transverse or longitudinal singles ( or any of the others ) we would have bought a used one that we could tweak. Soft furnishings, flooring and minor adjustments.

Bearing in mind the supposed financial disadvantages of a bespoke, (mostly that it will have a limited resale market ) then I would not go the bespoke route unless your layout requirements cannot be achieved by any other means. And significant differences, not minor.

We have no regrets, but I'd have bought a caravan rather than anything on the forecourts! new or used!

Take care, think clear and enjoy the van,

alan b

Guest JudgeMental
We may be able to help more if you actually give an indication of the layout you want....

JudgeMental - 2013-05-28 10:47 AM

We may be able to help more if you actually give an indication of the layout you want....

Hi Judge; my point exactly; but I'd go as far as saying don't go bespoke if you want a mainstream layout; can't think of an advantage,

alan b

Guest JudgeMental
snowie - 2013-05-28 10:55 AM

JudgeMental - 2013-05-28 10:47 AM

Hi Judge; my point exactly; but I'd go as far as saying don't go bespoke if you want a mainstream layout; can't think of an advantage,

alan b

Plus the big boys have economies of scale that the small converters can only dream about...hence the better prices, and IMO better build quality/insulation. There is quite a lot of choice these days. But if so nervous that you "think" you need a manufacturer at end of your road (some van that will be) I doubt I can help.....

Thanks for all the comments, I don`t think my granny ever sucked eggs.

The van is more than likely going to be a trafic as we want an auto, and it is under 5 m.

We are looking for a fairly standard lounge / diner at front , kitchen and loo at back. The problem is that the two forward facing seats are not comfortable on any of the conversions we have looked at, and are not adjustable from a bolt upright position.

We still have more to check out but I posted the question in case we don`t find anything we want, and just to explore the idea of bespoke.

Thanks for all your comments, they have been very helpful and thought provoking, keep them coming.

Guest JudgeMental

Fiats, now all have an auto option, Plus the most practical size and shape for a camper van

Just like at home cushions or pillows improve lounging

do yourself a favour and visit a German show

There are now a few vans with larger front lounges

Adria SPX: http://www.adria-mobil.com/sl-en/.../vans/twin/spx-titan/

Possl 4 family L: http://www.poessl-mobile.de/de/modelle/d-line/4family_l.html

look at the videos (with particulat attention to quality, insulation, tanks and gas capacity) lots of layouts to look at.

then go to www.mobile.de for prices ...I think you will get a pleasent surprise

Dave Hockin - 2013-05-29 7:16 PM

The problem is that the two forward facing seats are not comfortable on any of the conversions we have looked at, and are not adjustable from a bolt upright position.

Dave,

The VW conversion our friends have has an 'RIB' seat in the rear which converts to the double bed. It is really quite comfortable to both travel and lounge on but as you lay on the back as the bed they have found it far too hard so use a mattress under layer to soften it.

Have a look at the video on this website for how it works... Link.

I don't know if you could incorporate something like this in your design but certainly worth looking at.

Keith.

Archived