Ireland

bigal

We were considering visiting Ireland this year but we have a "Rescue" dog and would like to know whether she would need to stay in the van below decks on the ferry. We visit the Continent via the Channel Tunnel so that the dog can stay with us in the van, after all, she has had enough bad experiences before we took her from the Rescue Centre. She is quite nervous of things she doesn't understand. Any information or advice to help us plan this trip would be appreciated. :-) B-)

mel wood - 2013-05-30 11:24 PM

For the definitive answer contact the ferry company and ask.

Yep!! That's the obvious course of action but I just thought someone may have personal experience they might like to share! Obviously not! ;-) B-)

Hi,
Yes dog stays in the Motorhome, but you can not, I am afraid, Ask the ferry operator nicely and the dog and yourself may be allowed on the outside deck during the crossing on a lead.It is worth a try.
Regards,
Brendan

onecal - 2013-05-31 9:33 PM

Hi,

Yes dog stays in the Motorhome, but you can not, I am afraid, Ask the ferry operator nicely and the dog and yourself may be allowed on the outside deck during the crossing on a lead.It is worth a try.
Regards,
Brendan

Thanks Brendan, that's the sort of info. I was looking for! B-)

We did probably 10 years ago now! with our first Chihuahua take it in a basket out of the car and into the lounge ;-) we were noticed but weren't asked to take him back into the car, and a lady that was sat outside with her collie was allowed to come into the lounge area.

That was on the FastCat going out, on the return journey when I tried to get the dog out of the car he refused to come he was hiding and trying to go under the seat! so I had to leave him in the car and O.H asked the attendants to keep an eye on him, which they said they would, and he was O.K when we returned to the car. We have never been in the motorhome to Ireland but I think it would be better than the car.

We use the tunnel with the two we have now to go over to France as I don't like the idea of leaving them in the van.

Im not sure if you ask them that they would commit themselves to a yes! if he is a smallish dog I would just brave it out :-S if stopped tell them that he is of a nervous disposition and tell them you will sit on the outside deck!! in fact no matter what size I would still do that. :-) Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi bigal, just come across this thread!

We've going to Ireland in August for a month and this was a concern for us too as we have one dog (Lily, a Patterdale terrier) who is absolutely petrified of ferries!

If you read the terms and conditions for each of the ferry companies you will see that some allow 'pedestrian' travellers to take pets on in a suitable pet carrier so we have a cunning plan for our 2 small dogs - we have a couple of soft type pet carriers which look more like holdalls and will put one of our dogs in each of them, our larger dog, Romy, will have to stay in the van but she isn't bothered by ferries. We'll then carry them up with us and sit in a quiet area out of the way so as not to bother anyone and we shouldn't have a problem. This is what we did last time we went to Ireland a couple of years ago and didn't have any issues at all.

Obviously this depends on what dog you have and whether it will fit in a dog carrierl!!! :D

Archived