CB radios

Arthur Brown

Hi

it really does not matter what channel we decide for motorhomers as most, if not all will have got there via this forum. So, if we decide upon a particular channel for motor homes then so be it. Keith feels 22 would be appropriate and I dont have any problem with that. What I would like is to have a channel for us which we can monitor whilst abroad with the knowledge that other motorhomers are tuned in and in a position to respond either as help or as recipients of information which may be of assistance. My view in relation to CB is for it to be of assistance to motor home users, me included. It is a wonderful tool, let us use it to full advantage to assist our travels abroad.

Art

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like your idea Arthur Brown, 19 is a universal channel to monitor, then going and selecting another channel when you have someone to chat to is a good idea other wise 19 gets too busy, also you cannot just decided on a channel if someone else in the area is chatting on it.

I must admit if I was flicking through the channels and in a foreign land I would certainly "on the side" to join in the conversation.

:-D

• 2 years later...

My handle is as above

Have used it since the mid 80's

I usualy monitor 19 as others mentioned, as far as a mount, I use an alloy pole mounted to my rear Fiamma Cycle rackand run an Earth Wire down to the chassis, and using bolts through the bike rack with the large fiamma red hand nuts to tighten them up its easy to remove when going on to ferries.

You can also use on a Grp body an attachment called an EGP,( Electronic Ground Plain, no power required ) a small coil that creates a good ground plane to help lower your SWR.

If you see me about give me a call on the 19 !!

;-)

Hi folks, I am a licensed amateur radio operator, and have the option of mobile operation in the motorhome, buf only on the licensed ham frequencies, which does not include the 27 mhz band.

can I ask what cb equipment and power you are using ? I understand that 4 watts maximum is the figure, but may be out of date and frequencies in the 27 mhz region

I further beleive that there is a strong likelyhood of being stopped by police and prosecuted if you are operating while driving. It would be considered similar to operating a mobile phone while driving, which is illegal.

As clive knows, there are legal constraints regarding operating in the vicinity of ports etc, and other conditions regarding licensed amateurs, which pirate or unlicenced cb operators ignore.

I am not in favour of cb useage personally, but recognise that it happens.

with mobile phones being very popular I wonder what is the attracton for cb, when, if you are prepared to be a danger on the road , your attention is not on you driving.. You dont need any monstrous aerial possibly dangerously mounted on roof or elsewhere, which again would draw attention of the boys in blue.

please be safe and park up before using cb in motion.

tonyg3nwl.

tonyg3nwl - 2016-02-17 5:51 PM

Hi folks, I am a licensed amateur radio operator, and have the option of mobile operation in the motorhome, buf only on the licensed ham frequencies, which does not include the 27 mhz band.

can I ask what cb equipment and power you are using ? I understand that 4 watts maximum is the figure, but may be out of date and frequencies in the 27 mhz region

I further beleive that there is a strong likelyhood of being stopped by police and prosecuted if you are operating while driving. It would be considered similar to operating a mobile phone while driving, which is illegal.

As clive knows, there are legal constraints regarding operating in the vicinity of ports etc, and other conditions regarding licensed amateurs, which pirate or unlicenced cb operators ignore.

I am not in favour of cb useage personally, but recognise that it happens.

with mobile phones being very popular I wonder what is the attracton for cb, when, if you are prepared to be a danger on the road , your attention is not on you driving.. You dont need any monstrous aerial possibly dangerously mounted on roof or elsewhere, which again would draw attention of the boys in blue.

please be safe and park up before using cb in motion.

tonyg3nwl.

This answers your question regards using CB radio in a vehicle.

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q659.htm

Hi again, just to add to my last post, my CB handheld is only switched on should we meet a traffic jam very common during our summer months. It takes away the frustration of not knowing the reason for the jam when you can tune to channel 19 and hear the truckers telling each other the reason. This then gives you a good idea of the time that it will take to clear. It certainly eases my stress. "A"

Wirehaired - 2016-02-17 11:00 PM

LOL!!! Still have mine although havnt used it in years,its a Cobra 148GTL as I remember,i liked talking with other users all over the world,our club was the Pendle Witch Group,i still have hundreds of QSL cards somewhere in the loft,good days and a lot of fun. :-D

That was the last rig i ever owned. Used it mainly at home with a 5/8th wave silver rod clamped to a pole on the house gable end and ran a 50w burner. Occasionally i stuck it in the car......and that was where it got nicked! :-(

I see they command pretty good prices now on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COBRA-148-GTL-DX-CB-RADIO-/281935570514?hash=item41a4ab6652:g:YD4AAOSwKtVWwFLQ

Wirehaired - 2016-02-17 11:00 PM

LOL!!! Still have mine although havnt used it in years,its a Cobra 148GTL as I remember,i liked talking with other users all over the world,our club was the Pendle Witch Group,i still have hundreds of QSL cards somewhere in the loft,good days and a lot of fun. :-D

That was the last rig i ever owned. Used it mainly at home with a 5/8th wave silver rod clamped to a pole on the house gable end and ran a 50w burner. Occasionally i stuck it in the car......and that was where it got nicked! :-(

I see they command pretty good prices now on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COBRA-148-GTL-DX-CB-RADIO-/281935570514?hash=item41a4ab6652:g:YD4AAOSwKtVWwFLQ

Yes it was a good one,i had it modified so I could split the channels,if I remember it had 80channels but mine had hundreds,i worked SSB most of the time,i also had an interest in short wave radio,had a Yaesu 7700,it was a cracking receiver had many happy hours with it,should never have sold it,i might just buy another receiver one day,not sure whats on the market these days.

http://www.radioworld.co.uk/second_hand_yaesu_frg-7700_hf_receiver

Wirehaired - 2016-02-18 11:13 PM

Yes it was a good one,i had it modified so I could split the channels,if I remember it had 80channels but mine had hundreds,i worked SSB most of the time,i also had an interest in short wave radio,had a Yaesu 7700,it was a cracking receiver had many happy hours with it,should never have sold it,i might just buy another receiver one day,not sure whats on the market these days.

http://www.radioworld.co.uk/second_hand_yaesu_frg-7700_hf_receiver

My first HF set was also a Yaesu.....the trusty old FRG-7 (or frog 7 as it was often called!). http://oi64.tinypic.com/34rtzyg.jpg

I sold that some years ago and bought a mint condition Trio R-1000 http://oi68.tinypic.com/nf2y3b.jpg

Complete with matching speaker like this; http://oi63.tinypic.com/2007jvp.jpg The speaker is way more difficult to source than the radios, though finding a fully working R-1000 in good nick isn't easy.

They came out during the late 70s early 80s and i've had mine now 25 years. Absolutely cracking set and everything still fully working.

When off touring in the van i have an old Sony 2001-D http://oi68.tinypic.com/jzipld.jpg which is a good set working off 240v/12v or batteries.

A project which still remains unfinished is restoring an old R1155 set like this; http://oi67.tinypic.com/1erqzo.jpg Fitted in Lancaster bombers along with matching transmitter these things are real "boat anchors"! It's in working condition but needs restoring.

You can spend "silly money" on current day HF sets such as JRC or Icom but in my opinion they are over priced.

great stuff,like I said I am out of touch these days with the HF radios and prices,i remember that trio model,always thought it looked a very nice radio,friend of mine had the FRG 7,very nice little radio but when I bought my FRG 7700 he thought it was great,i first was interested in the radio when I was a Kid about 12,mate of my Dad came to the house he was a Radio Ham,he gave me an old military radio with valves I had many happy times with it,can't remember the model,it had two silver handles on the front, b it opened up a new world for me listening in on the HAMS and other stations.

cheers Don.

Wirehaired - 2016-02-19 7:33 PM

great stuff,like I said I am out of touch these days with the HF radios and prices,i remember that trio model,always thought it looked a very nice radio,friend of mine had the FRG 7,very nice little radio but when I bought my FRG 7700 he thought it was great,i first was interested in the radio when I was a Kid about 12,mate of my Dad came to the house he was a Radio Ham,he gave me an old military radio with valves I had many happy times with it,can't remember the model,it had two silver handles on the front, b it opened up a new world for me listening in on the HAMS and other stations.

cheers Don.

What started it all off for me was an uncle who gave me a Crystal set radio to build as a Christmas present. I was fascinated that a few weird looking components, a bit of wire and an ear piece was enough to receive a radio signal with no power source!

There also used to be an electronics shop in my local town. Simply called Ham Radio it was run by a amateur radio enthusiast who really knew his stuff. Cram packed full of old ex-military radios i used to wander up after school for a dream. The owner smoked cigars and there was always a few radios on the bench, valves glowing red hot as he tinkered around. I can still smell that aroma mix which for me was heaven! :-D

If you guys are SW Listeners or are interested why not take the Amateur Radio Exam - Its split into 3, Foundation, Intermediate and Advanced. You can go on the air as soon as you pass the Foundation.

This will allow higher "legal power" levels (10w out of the radio) than you have with 27Mhz CB and options to use HF/2m?70cm etc . Anybody with a serious CB (not muppet) background shou be able to pass this exam and there is a lot more people using the radio than with CB.

The Intermediate gives you higher power levels(50w) and is the most interesting course of the lot imo The Advanced Licence allows (400w) but that needs a lot more study

For full info on what you can and cant do with AR in a vehicle look up:-

The Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) (Ammendment No4) Regulations 2003

Be aware though the Police are in order charging you for driving without due care and attention

When touring in company with another couple in their MH, using handheld PMR radios was extremely useful for the occasional word to help staying together.  We both had experience of using CB radio when group riding with our GoldWing motorcycles but it never seemed worth the challenge and trouble of installing CB radios into the MHs in the hope of increasing range, when in practice we could get an adequate range for our purposes with the hand held PMRs.

Last time I was using CB our bikes had US-fitted AM CBs and in Europe this band coincided in frequencies with what was supposed to be an Italy-only AM band, so we often heard Italian truckers chatting (and/or ranting) away, even in UK. 

No one seemed to be showing any respect for the rules about types of CB or frequency bands and I would think the chances of any authority intervening in such things would be negligible.  Although in theory CB radios in Europe are restricted to specific bands and frequencies, in practice it was much more of a free for all and certainly lots of truckers had radios with illegally boosted output power, so their conversations, usually involving pretty fruity language, would cause interference for others for miles and miles around. 

The idea that the CB world offers some sort of fraternal chat network for motorhomers strikes me as a bit fanciful but a pair of handheld walkie talkies for use between companion MHs touring together worked well for us.

roger s - 2016-02-20 9:15 AM

If you guys are SW Listeners or are interested why not take the Amateur Radio Exam - Its split into 3, Foundation, Intermediate and Advanced. You can go on the air as soon as you pass the Foundation.

This will allow higher "legal power" levels (10w out of the radio) than you have with 27Mhz CB and options to use HF/2m?70cm etc . Anybody with a serious CB (not muppet) background shou be able to pass this exam and there is a lot more people using the radio than with CB.

The Intermediate gives you higher power levels(50w) and is the most interesting course of the lot imo The Advanced Licence allows (400w) but that needs a lot more study

For full info on what you can and cant do with AR in a vehicle look up:-

The Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) (Ammendment No4) Regulations 2003

Be aware though the Police are in order charging you for driving without due care and attention

Roger

I sometimes wished i had gone on to do the RAE but at the time i was more interested in fiddling around with cars. The cost of equipment was another factor....not just radios but even antenna arrays. I know many will disagree with me on this as it's still not an acceptable view, but it's thanks to AM/CB that Ham radio found "new blood" and many ex-CB'ers went on to do their RAE.

CB radio enabled everyone to do the same as licensed Ham radio bods......but on an absolute shoestring budget. My first CB cost me £60 brand spanking new, the aerial a tenner, slap it on the car roof and i was in business! Needless to say CB took off like wildfire with clubs sprouting up in every town or city. My local club went from a gathering of half a dozen blokes around a pub table to a membership of 4,500 in less than six months. Any Ham radio club could only ever dream of those sort of figures!

Of course we knew the fun wasn't going to last as we were operating illegally, a bit like Pirate Radio stations of the 60's, but that made it even more fun! Like Pirate Radio, CB forced Government to recognise they had to make changes without taking it all away. Pirate Radio gave the stuffy BBC the kick up the backside it needed and Radio 1 was born. AM/CB told Government people wanted it so they outlawed it's use but offered licenced FM/CB. Nowhere near as good, the channels filled with brattish schoolkids f'in and blindin every night which drove a lot away.

I carried on operating AM/SSB using a 50w burner but it began to get a bit too "noticeable" so i gave up and went over to HF listening only. Also at that time there was a surge of interest in VHF/UHF scanners......and all phones including mobiles were still analogue! Police and the emergency services could also be interesting.

Now, with the internet and mobile phones i sometimes wonder how Ham radio has managed to stay 'alive', especially given the set up costs involved. Only the other day i was listening on HF to some ham radio guys operating and there was little in the way of conversation......just confirming signal strength and location, then off to find another!

I wasnt knocking CB by the way - thats where I started

We still carry a licence free pmr set in the van for when we are travelling with friends.

Yes HF does tend to be a bit 5&9 ish I dont do much SSB mainly data on HF. The newish Digital modes offer worldwide communication with chat at UHF/VHF quality and lower power levels and without huge aerials. There are some rigs available for one of the modes (dmr) from around £120

roger s - 2016-02-21 5:51 AM

We still carry a licence free pmr set in the van for when we are travelling with friends.

Yes HF does tend to be a bit 5&9 ish I dont do much SSB mainly data on HF. The newish Digital modes offer worldwide communication with chat at UHF/VHF quality and lower power levels and without huge aerials. There are some rigs available for one of the modes (dmr) from around £120

Yes i knew you weren't and kind of sussed i was 'preaching to the converted'!! Ham radio was frighteningly "cliquey" and i remember going to a local club meet once when AM/CB was on the wane. God it was like i was the great unwashed who'd dared to walk into some weird secretive sect!! Nobody spoke to me or asked anything about who i was, interests, what i was there for etc. Small groups of men (yes there was not one woman to be seen!!) huddled around muttering in gobbledygook techno....probably in the hope i'd go away which needless to say i did!!

I think even now if i went in for it i'd want to go the whole hog but the stumbling block was the CW course. Have they got shut of that yet or is it still a requirement? Whilst i can understand the advantages of it, today it's a bit like requiring someone to learn how to operate A + B phone before they can own a mobile phone!

Bulletguy - 2016-02-21 3:13 PM

Yes i knew you weren't and kind of sussed i was 'preaching to the converted'!! Ham radio was frighteningly "cliquey" and i remember going to a local club meet once when AM/CB was on the wane. God it was like i was the great unwashed who'd dared to walk into some weird secretive sect!! Nobody spoke to me or asked anything about who i was, interests, what i was there for etc. Small groups of men (yes there was not one woman to be seen!!) huddled around muttering in gobbledygook techno....probably in the hope i'd go away which needless to say i did!!

I think even now if i went in for it i'd want to go the whole hog but the stumbling block was the CW course. Have they got shut of that yet or is it still a requirement? Whilst i can understand the advantages of it, today it's a bit like requiring someone to learn how to operate A + B phone before they can own a mobile phone!

Not my experience. You should have visited the Devizes ARC where you would have been made welcome. I went to the IOM (several times) and was made very welcome in their ARC as well.

Dave G0JVF

In 1980/81 when CB radio was illegal but taking off I was 15 years old and had one in the attic at home. Trouble was it buggered up the next door neighbours telly so I took to the road.

I kid you not! I had a Midland 65 AM CB Radio mounted on the handlebars of my push bike and a motorcycle battery and blooming big aerial on the back. :D

It was a brilliant way to meet girls from memory. :D

Dave C - 2016-02-21 5:00 PM

Bulletguy - 2016-02-21 3:13 PM

Not my experience. You should have visited the Devizes ARC where you would have been made welcome. I went to the IOM (several times) and was made very welcome in their ARC as well.

Dave G0JVF

Bit too far for me Dave! I don't think mine was exactly a unique experience either.

When Scanner radios sparked an interest, myself and a mate successfully modified the receiver we had (PRO-2004) and marketed the 'mod' in SW magazine. Not being business minded we hopelessly undervalued it and sold loads. We could easily have sold at four times the price but weren't greedy enough!

Anyway from that we ended up selling 'stuff' at Radio Rallies up and down the country every weekend. We did a couple of other 'mods' and sold those among various other radio related 'tat' we'd pick up and sell on. But we quickly noticed the regular 'geeks' who turned up at almost every Rally. Some right strange oddball characters!

I used to have to travel round the USA on business usually in a car provided by one of our clients that always had a set. When I got near to a town where I was going to stay I'd go on the radio and in my best english voice ask if anyone could recommend a good place to eat. The Americans love an English accent and I would invariably get an invitation to eat with one of them. I met a lot of interesting Americans that way and it certianly beat eating in a hotel.

If the set was turned on you'd get warnings of any speed traps or holdups from the truckers.

You've all given me an idea...

Any recommendations or suggestions for how to mount a removable mobile antenna that I could use with my trusty handheld scanner (with a BNC antenna connection) ?

My coach built motorhome has an aluminium roof so I doubt a mag mount would stick to it, never mind have a suitable enough ground plane?

I do have roof bars on the roof, unsure what they're made of though (no ladder on the back though).

This would only be for static use, wouldn't use it whilst driving.

Could I stick a mag mount scanner antenna on a biscuit tin lid or something and just stand that on the roof when needed? Would a biscuit tin lid provide a large enough ground plane?

Any other ideas?

Archived