CC club, what membership benefits???

Guest 1footinthegrave

Guest 1footinthegrave

Well here's the thing, on our way over to France had a brainstorm I think and joined the CC club to stop over on their club site near Canterbury. Needing a calor bottle swap I was both infuriated and astonished to be charged way over the retail price of an exchange, not only that but could only pay in cash, we only had Euro notes but the warden said we could only pay in pounds, so a trip ensued to a cash point for the £24.99p demanded, despite me providing a receipt from a calor stockist of £21.49. A letter will be sent off on our return to ask why exactly is a so called club charging way over the odds for such a necessary item, what do others think about this apparent rip off >:-(

Guest pelmetman

Not surprised *-)..................The only thing that does surprise me is the fact that they still have the gall to call themselves a club >:-)

Maybe we should have a competition to find a NEW suitable name for the CC???? >:-)

How about.....

FCFT..........................................Fat cat feeding trough

NMTTY.......................................Nice meal ticket thank you

YVO............................................You vill obay

or

CC...............................................Conning campers(lol) (lol) (lol)

Guest 1footinthegrave
Perhaps having once been a member of a few working mens clubs with discounted beer I've been spoilt, but on a serious note surely this simply is not on, retail yes, but way over in my book is completely out of order. Oh well back to the van otherwise her indoors will be moaning. :D

Guest pelmetman
Wills Wagon - 2013-06-14 8:29 PM

Didn't know the Caravan Club had a site at Canterbury, its Camping & Caravanning Club isn't it?

So we need a C&CC renaming competition as well :D

1footinthegrave - 2013-06-14 8:07 PM

A letter will be sent off on our return to ask why exactly is a so called club charging way over the odds for such a necessary item, what do others think about this apparent rip off >:-(

Mike,

I think you will find that it is the warden offering the Calor refills and not the CC or C&CC and that then is why they will only accept cash! It certainly has been on the occasion we have purchased a refill at a C&CC site.

Calor set an RRP but it is up to the retailer what they then charge, obviously captive markets can demand a higher price. The lowest prices I have seen have been at Go Outdoors (assuming you have a card) and the same price at our local plumbers merchant which is also more convenient so that's where I go.

For info Go Outdoors quote £18.00 for a 6 kg and £22.95 for a 13 kg.

Remember that an RRP is exactly what it says, a "Recommended Retail Price" and not a guaranteed price.

Keith.

Well here's the thing, on our way over to France had a brainstorm I think and joined the CC club to stop over on their club site near Canterbury. Needing a calor bottle swap I was both infuriated and astonished to be charged way over the retail price of an exchange, not only that but could only pay in cash, we only had Euro notes but the warden said we could only pay in pounds, so a trip ensued to a cash point for the £24.99p demanded, despite me providing a receipt from a calor stockist of £21.49. A letter will be sent off on our return to ask why exactly is a so called club charging way over the odds for such a necessary item, what do others think about this apparent rip off >:-(

Don't start me off!! See my post on "What does the panel think"

Whats wrong with the Marine promenade or theBlack horse pub site that is often mentioned then buy your gas from a chandlers or plumbing centre.

As for the name for some people it should be Caravan Mugs Club,this is their High Season and what they are charging a Premier Inn would be better value.

The 2 major 'clubs' haven't been a true club since the 70's.

You may find that the site charges what they are charged by their supplier. If you were to ring different suppliers in different areas of the country you will get a variety of different prices.

Bit daft waiting till the last minute before going abroad to get your gas then moaning as you have to pay a premium price.

Guest 1footinthegrave

I carry four calor lite 6 kg bottles, like to have all four full, and normally buy the.last one in Dover.but never used the CC club before, or

Again.

1foot'..

So, are you saying that you joined a "club" just to use the one site(..for the "stop-over",prior to catching the ferry?) and that you now won't use any of them again?... :-S

If that is the case, I wouldn't mind betting there's quite a few "clubs" out there that would just love a few more members like you!?(..those that pay them their annual "subs" and they never have to deal with again).

You could've "not pitched at ours" for 20 quid a year! (lol)

Although that would make as much financial sense as carrying FOUR Calorlites!(and around France!).Surely, these must be one of the most expensive ways of obtaining your gas? 8-)

The above seems odd, for the actions of a "seasoned euro-traveller"... ;-)

As for how much they charged you for the gas;with any "on site" purchases (..be it a campsite or an event site etc and be it a gas refill or an ice cream etc), you will always run the risk of facing higher prices....

But we have the choice not to pay them and purchase the items eleswhere...I doubt very much the warden insisted that you exchanged your cylinder with him and frog-marched you to the cash point.. ;-)

(Just to clarify, which "club" site was it again...?)

Guest 1footinthegrave

I don't think most people would be remotely interested in the fact that for many years we always swapped to French bottles once over the channel, however that always involved heavy steel cylinders that we could fit in our van,and I'm not into giving myself hernias anymore, and Calor lite bottles of the 6kg size suit our purposes, so that's what we now use, yes I know all about refillables, but 4 lites last us 12 weeks + if we never went on hookups although we do use ACSI sites.

I'm not sure why many think the Canterbury club site is such a mystery, and as I said it seemed like a good idea to join at the time as my wife complains I don't do UK much, so thought we may use the cl network as we are both passed the flush of first youth.

Anyway it seems perhaps folk don't object to paying not only way over the odds for their club sites, but also the supply of what one would have thought to be an essential item, gas.

And I'm tempted to say is their any need for some of the uncalled for sarcasm, I mean what's the point,I was merely flagging up surprise at the way the CC club hardly in this instance give a club type service

i'm on your side micheal, and looking at previous posts, so are many others on here.

I once joined one of the clubs, but found it an expensive way to camp. I rejoined 2 years ago to tour cornwall (I rarely tour in UK) but didn't use any of their sites, as there were so many independant sites that I found cheaper and more friendly.

1footinthegrave - 2013-06-16 7:05 PM

Anyway it seems perhaps folk don't object to paying not only way over the odds for their club sites, but also the supply of what one would have thought to be an essential item, gas.

And I'm tempted to say is their any need for some of the uncalled for sarcasm, I mean what's the point,I was merely flagging up surprise at the way the CC club hardly in this instance give a club type service

Come off it Mike. As has already been pointed out the CC do not sell the stuff on their sites, this is sold and controlled by the site warden, so why the rant against the CC. The warden is offering a service to people who run short of some stuff, they will probably not buy cheap so make a small markup, even newspapers from the site have a 10p delivery charge. You will always pay more if you buy from them but you have a choice, get yourself organised, you sound the type who buys their euro,s at the airport last minute and wonders why you get a poor rate.

1footinthegrave - 2013-06-14 9:07 PMfor the £24.99p demanded, despite me providing a receipt from a calor stockist of £21.49.

So that's 16.28% and if it's true that it's the warden providing the service and not the club then the guy probably has to buy it at Calor retail price so it's not that big a mark up.

I must admit to being pleased I specified refillable on my van 'cos I can fill both my similar size bottles for £13

But you are right neither the CC or the CC&C are really 'clubs' anymore.

Sorry for the "sarcasm" 1foot', I hadn't realised you were so sensitive.... (lol)

But, you do tend to post in a "Glass half empty" manner (another example was your parking in Dover thread) and as someone posted not so long back(Brian K I think),you post in order to get a specific type of response...So you got one... ;-)

Your very same tale could've been told with a "Glass half full approach",thus:

"..I'm really annoyed with myself...I arrived on site, on route to the ferry, pitched up, only then to realise that one of my gas bottle needed exchanging!....If only I had've checked during the week, I could've used it up at home and exchanged it at my usual(cheap) supplier...Never mind though thankfully the site had some Calorlites in stock,which was lucky because that's not always the case with the 'lites..It was a few quid dearer but hayhoo,I'll know to check next time..."

Looking at it that way, it sounds a totally different experience, doesn't it ;-)

pepe63 - 2013-06-17 9:08 AM

Sorry for the "sarcasm" 1foot', I hadn't realised you were so sensitive.... (lol)

But, you do tend to post in a "Glass half empty" manner (another example was your parking in Dover thread) and as someone posted not so long back(Brian K I think),you post in order to get a specific type of response...So you got one... ;-)

"..I'm really annoyed with myself...I arrived on site, on route to the ferry, pitched up, only then to realise that one of my gas bottle needed exchanging!....If only I had've checked during the week, I could've used it up at home and exchanged it at my usual(cheap) supplier...Never mind though thankfully the site had some Calorlites in stock,which was lucky because that's not always the case with the 'lites..It was a few quid dearer but hayhoo,I'll know to check next time..."

Looking at it that way, it sounds a totally different experience, doesn't it ;-)

No cannot have that Pepe, it would mean admitting that he is one of those people who cannot organise themselves and promptly blame others for the failure to do it.

Guest JudgeMental

I think we all know 1foots style by now......What's of more concern is he carries 4 bottles in a panel van, presumably not in a Gas locker......I think he really goes out looking for trouble *-)

Excellent post Pepe really made me laugh!

pepe63 - 2013-06-17 9:08 AM

" Oh yes, and while I'm in confessional mode, I now realisee the site I actually visited is run by the Camping and Caravanning Club, and not by the Caravan Club (to whom I apologise for blackguarding them), and that I didn't need to join whichever club I seem to have joined, because the Canterbury site in any case accepts non-member visitors. All in all then, I ended up buying the most expensive gas cylinder in the country, and all beause I failed to get properly organised. Well, silly me! " :-D

Sorry, Mike, but I have to agree with Pepe, it was all rather your own fault and instead of seeking to blame any club or site it might have been preferable to keep quiet and just chalk it up against experience - along "I must do better next time", lines.

PS I agree with Eddie about carrying that number of gas cylinders. They can't all be secured in the locker, surely?

Guest 1footinthegrave

Well I can only say some of you folks are amazing, let's make few things clear. I had no idea that the CC policy was to allow the sale of calor gas as a perk for the wardens, silly me on that count, I obviously wrongly assumed something as essential as gas may be one of the benefits of joining their "club"and would be not sold at a premium of £7 a bottle, but there you go.

As for me carrying 4 bottles Eddie, two are housed in the original locker, and the other two in a sealed outside locker, complete with drop vents, that was previously the rear boot locker, quite easily achieved with the fixed rear panel on our IH as we do not have draughty rear doors like most PVC conversions.

And yes they are all securely stored with LPG labels on both doors.

Especially the £25 one.

Anyway given that It's sunny and 26 here down the Aveyron area It's unlikely to get used. :D

But Mike it was the CCC, not the CC! The price of anything is what the shop charges. Same with beer! You strayed into the wealthy, expensive, sarf-east innit! Hope you didn't go into a pub, as well! :-)

Your cylinder carrying credentials, on the other hand, are impeccable: respect.

You know we were only trying to make sure you stayed safe really, even if it did involve a bit of fun at your expense! :-D

Oh!...so the bottle was 7 quid more expensive now then....? 8-)

.... the £24.99p demanded, despite me providing a receipt from a calor stockist of £21.49.

...what do others think about this apparent rip off >:-(

£24.99 - £21.49 = £3.50 in my book (lol)

Guest 1footinthegrave

Blimey, now I know I'm getting over the hill, your correct, I've just rejoined the CCC club, the very same club that I cancelled a couple of months ago, bugger.

:D

I did wonder what the warden was on about, must put my hearing aid in more often.

Archived