Split Charge Relay Question

Citizenfish

I have a Ci Carioca 656 based on Fiat Ducato.

I want to isolate the leisure electrics from the main engine electrics to make sure that there isn't an issue with the leisure charging circuit. The alternator has blown twice now.

Ready for the daft question...

How do I do this? I have no idea where the split charge relay is, or if there is a fuse I can simply pull to isolate it.

Cheers

Dave

sshortcircuit - 2013-06-16 4:49 PM

"The alternator has blown twice now. " I hope you mean the fuse has blown as if you do mean the alternator I would suggest you contact an autoelectrician as this may be a bigger problem

I have, he asked me to isolate the system first and run the van to see if it reoccured. I have no idea whether it was the alternator or the fuse. The garage replaced it first time round (£££) then for free when I had issues again.

Unfortunately I do not no the layout of the electrics in your MH. Mine is a Fiat and the split charge relay is in the engine bay in the middle with a plastic cover retained by three nut. If yours is similar there shoulkd be three relays and a 4 way fuse block . Worth a tryt

Any good auto electrician worth his salt should be able to identify a split charge relay and fuse and isolate the system himself.

He should also be able to test all the systems to identify the fault rather than just saying "see if it happens again". IMO this really is a cheap cop out!

One possible reason, does your leisure battery hold charge or is past it's sell by date? If it is failing it will demand a far higher current than normal and this may (note I say MAY) be the cause of your problem.

Keith.

PS Sorry I don't know the location of your fuses but if you follow any non-standard looking wires from the positive battery terminal you should find a bank of relays and fuses as has been stated above. Pull all the fuses and see what happens (just note where they came from as they may be of different ratings).

Keithl - 2013-06-16 6:05 PM

Any good auto electrician worth his salt should be able to identify a split charge relay and fuse and isolate the system himself.

He should also be able to test all the systems to identify the fault rather than just saying "see if it happens again". IMO this really is a cheap cop out!

To be fair to the guy this was a phone conversation, he was trying to save me some time/cash by isolating the fault before he gets here and the timer starts.

The leisure battery was brand spanking but interestingly is now completely drained after a month on the drive since last outing. I wonder if there is a short in the leisure circuits somewhere.

OK. My apologies if it was a telephone help call.

And agree with others, your leisure battery should easily stand for a month without going flat.

What you really need to do now is identify what is draining it. Start by checking all cupboards, lockers, wardrobes etc for any lights left on then you really need an ammeter to check the drain on the battery while you removed fuses, etc. If you do not feel confident doing this then this will be time to call in your auto electrician.

Keith.

Archived