Autotrail Chieftain. Rear View Camera Wiring

Skid1156

The Rear View/reversing Camera on my 10 plated Chieftain is a waste of time. The camera takes an age to switch on after reverse is selected and the screen on the radio head unit is far to small to read. Before I fit a replacement system, has anyone out there got any advice on the best way to run the wiring, I.e. through the cab, underneath or along the roof? Thanks

You should be able to use the existing wiring, most cameras use similar wiring you may need to change the connectors but the cables should be the same. There should be a co-ax cable for the video an a 2 core cable for the 12v power.

Not very technical help here, but something you might want to look in to.

The rear view camera on my Dakota was re angled so that you could view further behind than the tow bar and purchased a rear-view mirror approx. £85 that was connected to the original wiring, works a treat.

Do not use my drop down thingy at all now, in fact the rear-view mirror is on permanently when driving and not just in reverse, really nice to have.

Caroline (lol)

I would have thought the easiest route was to follow the existing cable. Even using the old cable as a "pull through". But be careful the cables are not very strong.

As Lenny said the cable for most camera systems will be similar. It is the connectors that cause the problems. There are several different types connector - 4 pin Mini DIN, 6 pin Mini DIN, 4 pin aviation type and the simple RCA/Phono plugs, to but a few.

To use the existing cable you may have to solder the appropriate connector.

Angling the rear camera to see further down the road may restrict your view of the rear bumper. A reversing camera is fitted to allow the rear bumper to be in the field of view. Hence, aiding you to reverse right up to an obstacle like a low wall. Angle it too far out and you will loose this feature.

I agree with Alistair, try to trace the existing cable and run the new one along the same route, where necessary using the original as a pull through for the new. If you try to re-use the original, you risk spending more money, and a lot more time, trying to hunt down the right adapter connectors from new monitor/camera to old cable.

If the old camera used the radio head unit screen, I guess you will be mounting the new monitor on the dashboard, either centrally or at the right hand end. It that is the case, you only have to find a conveniend point to bring the video cable into the cab from behind the dashboard. In some cabs, the end near the door is an easier bet than a central location, because the DIN plug (or whatever is fitted) can be "fiddled" through a gap between the end of the dash and the windscreen "A" pillar.

AliB - 2013-06-18 9:28 AM

Angling the rear camera to see further down the road may restrict your view of the rear bumper. A reversing camera is fitted to allow the rear bumper to be in the field of view. Hence, aiding you to reverse right up to an obstacle like a low wall. Angle it too far out and you will loose this feature.

Got to say, angling the camera a bit, has not made a massive difference, I can still see the bike rack on the back of the van, as well as behind me.

:-D

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the leads on getting the rear view camera sorted. I have gone thecwhole hog and managed to get a twin camera system (reversing and rear view) with an LCD screen mounted on the interior mirror.. I decided to dispense with the original wiring as i needed the twin camera cable.

The old camera cowling was carefully removed using a Stanley knife and the new wiring chased through the rear moulding then underneath the van and tie wrapped onto the existing central wiring loom. This is a fiddly job as the loom goes over the top of the water and waste tanks. The cable follows the loom into the vehicle behind the drivers seat - another fiddly job and then under the footwell (again attached to the existing wiring loom) then up into the right hand side of the dash. A 12v switched supply was plumbed into the adjacent fuse box near the right hand side and both cables chased inside the side windscreen trim and across to the interior light. The new monitor clips straight onto the existing rear view mirror.

The touch screen allows either camera to be selected. The existing camera cowling was reworked with a dremel and refitted. It looks great. The new system is far, far better than the original and allows me to see the motorbike trailer being towed behind and also a mirror image rear view. The reversing camera is much better quality than the original too. I rekon any reasonably competent DIYer could do the job. The whole task took me a day and a half. I bought the bits from DRW Electronics. David Wood, the proprietor, was great in helping me to identify the items I needed for the job. I have pictures of the completed installation if required.

Sent from my iPad :-)

Slightly 'off' of the original track, but does anyone know how to get the rear view camera on a 2012 Autotrail Savannah, (with the media pack, TV/Sat-Nav/Radio/Rear view Camera) to work when the vehicle is in a foward gear ie All the time, I will gladly forego the use of the Sat-Nav, which is useless anyway.

I suspect that there is a switch or relay somewhere which only energizes when reverse is selected, but am unsure where to start looking. Dealer not much help. Anyone solved this one ?? Ray

Hi Ray,

I would hazard a guess that AT haven't changed the way the reverse camera functions between 2009 and 2012 and as Sargent don't have any schematics later than 2009 you should find that the reverse signal is to the "Obserview" unit and not the camera or screen.

Have a look at the schematic here... Link and go to "Consumer circuits - Floor" for the Obserview unit wiring.

Keith.

Keithl - 2013-06-27 6:03 PM

Hi Ray,

I would hazard a guess that AT haven't changed the way the reverse camera functions between 2009 and 2012 and as Sargent don't have any schematics later than 2009 you should find that the reverse signal is to the "Obserview" unit and not the camera or screen.

Have a look at the schematic here... Link and go to "Consumer circuits - Floor" for the Obserview unit wiring.

Keith.

Thanks Keith, have downloaded the Schematic, have now looked at the 'Bumf' with the dash mounted screen/ radio etc., unit (obserview unit ??) it shows an input from 'gearbox reverse', which is the signal I'm looking for, Think that if I jumper that signal to the 'Ignition' input, It SHOULD allow the Reverse Camera to be on all the time that the ignition is on. ie when travelling fowards. I'll let you know.

There is also a signal from the 'Handbrake on' which is probably the signal that inhibits use of the Dash mounted TV whilst travelling. Down side ; i will be unable to use the Sat-Nav, Radio or the CD/DVD player with the ignition on. No big loss as the Sat-nav is useless anyway, will miss the CD player while driving though. Ray

• 4 months later...
I'm going to use the same method on my new Delaware (no media pack so I can add my own, so no reversing camera already fitted) - twin cameras from eBay and they supply a 15m cable too, to a reversing-mirror-mounted screen. How easy is it to fiddle the cable through the camera hole at the back, and then get it down one of the rear corners so you can pull it through and then route it forwards? Thanks

avocadopicker - 2013-11-27 4:31 AM

I'm going to use the same method on my new Delaware (no media pack so I can add my own, so no reversing camera already fitted) - twin cameras from eBay and they supply a 15m cable too, to a reversing-mirror-mounted screen. How easy is it to fiddle the cable through the camera hole at the back, and then get it down one of the rear corners so you can pull it through and then route it forwards? Thanks

If you have a twin lens camera it will probably need two cables. So make sure the existing holes are large enough.

I'm going to do a similar job on my Savannah, replacing the Fitted dash unit with a Double Din Dab JVC Radio/CD/Player, 2nd 'rear view' camera, to supplement existing 'reverse only' camera, monitor that clips onto rearview mirror fed by both Cameras, and power for cameras from an Ignition fed source.

Gatherered as much info as possible on wiring diagram, which isn't much. Start Tomorrow.

Ray

Archived