LED Replacement lights

THE SHEPHERD

advice, tips links,please,on replacing all my camper lights with LED. 2001 veh some interior lounge lights are round and could I guess be florescent, I have yet to work out how to get inside. But any help greatly appreciated.TS (Nothing to technical please as I still qualify as the village idiot)

Keithl - 2013-07-01 5:23 PM

THE SHEPHERD - 2013-07-01 4:27 PM

Nothing too technical please as I still qualify as the village idiot

So give us a clue then, what is the MH in question?

I believe THE SHEPHERD owns a 2001 Compass Avantgarde 100. So, if any forum member has a similar vehicle and has swapped the lights to LEDs, that information might help.

If the reason for changing to LEDs is to reduce 12V power consumption, it's probably not worth bothering trying to modify fluorescent lights to LEDs (even if it's actually practicable to do so) as the relatively small power consumption savings are unlikely to justify the replacement costs.

Where filament or halogen bulbs are concerned (and it's likely that a 2001 motorhome's 'conventional' living-area bulbs will be halogen-type), there may be a choice of replacement LED bulb in terms of bulb-design, output and/or colour. Conversely, the design of the original light-fitting may seriously restrict the replacement choice available.

This website shows the types of bulb commonly used in leisure vehicles and the types of LED bulbs that might be suitable as replacements.

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/led-product-catalogue/caravan-motorhome-leds.html

Unfortunately, playing the technical "village idiot" card won't help if the subject being inquired about is genuinely technical. When considering LED replacement bulbs, it will be necessary to begin by identifying the original bulb's exact type (and output) and then to decide what the most suitable LED replacement will be. And, after that, it will be necessary to decide where to obtain the LED replacements from, as there is plenty of choice.

There has been a lot of forum discussion on this subject - this is a recentish thread:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/LED-Light-advise/28552/#M328315

Archived