Gaslow

Pete-B

Hi,

I've got two 6kg calor lite bottles fitted and just considering if it would be worth fitting or having fitted two refillable Gaslow bottles. I haven't got the van here at the moment so not sure if the gas cupboard would take 11kg bottles. My question is, I would love to get some idea of cost if anyone has had this done.

Thanks for any help.

I had 2 x 6kg calor in my van but was able to get one 11kg Gaslow in the locker, far cheaper than buying 2 x 6 Gaslows.

Great if you tour longer term on the Continent.....................or even in the UK.

1 x 11kg cylinder with all stainless steel hoses, filler, 3 x Euro adaptors for £300.

If you do a search of the forums you'll find other threads asking a similar thing.

We got a single 11kg Gaslow bottle a few years ago which I have since transferred to 2 subsequent vans. It isn't difficult to do as no more hassle to attach the pipes etc than fitting a new hose if you needed one, the 'hardest' part, if it can be called 'hardest' is to fit the filler point - I put ours in the gas locker on a bracket which works fine, but some chose to put them in skirt of the MH which is a bit more involved.

On our current van conversion the gas locker was only meant to take 2 x 6kg Calor exchange type bottles, but I managed to shoe-horn our 11kg Gaslow bottle in - there was room in the locker itself and it was only the width of the opening that was the problem as the base of the bottle was a few millimetres wider so wouldn't go through (the upper part of the cylinder was narrower so went in okay) - careful use of a lump hammer on the base of the bottle and removal of the trim round the opening sorted the problem!

There's another company called Gas-it who also do these bottles with nearly identical kit to Gaslow and can work out cheaper so have a look at their website too.

Our two calor botles have been replced with one gaslow bottle and one of the original calor bottles as an emergency back up. We have never needed to use the back up as it is easy to fill up anywhere in Western Europe with appropriate adaptor, we have taken the calor bottle out and blanked it off. This also helped with payload problems and left more flexical external storage. Doing the same would save you a few bob.

I have recently fitted a 13kg gasit refillable system and the bottle and all fittings including adapters for France and Germany came in at just under £190. Also included was an adapter for the original pigtail to connect to the bottle. Alsoit only cost just over £15 to fill at local morrisons. 

kelly58 - 2013-07-03 11:17 PM

I have recently fitted a 13kg gasit refillable system and the bottle and all fittings including adapters for France and Germany came in at just under £190. Also included was an adapter for the original pigtail to connect to the bottle. Alsoit only cost just over £15 to fill at local morrisons. 

I think you can only get the 11kg Gas-it bottles now Kelly - wasn't the 13kg a special offer they had about 2 months ago?

Info on Gas-it can be found here:

http://www.stako.co.uk/index.php?_a=category&cat_id=2

Guest JudgeMental
artheytrate - 2013-07-03 10:24 PM

gasit is cheaper than gaslow and virtually the same bottles.

John.

Yes gasit, if i buy again it will be from them....helpful, very knowledge, good prices...they used to do the stako bottles with built in meter.

JudgeMental - 2013-07-04 7:23 AM

Yes gasit, if i buy again it will be from them....helpful, very knowledge, good prices...they used to do the stako bottles with built in meter.

'4-hole' refillable canisters are still available from GAS-IT

http://www.stako.co.uk/index.php?_a=category&cat_id=12

Dunno if these are STAKO products, but the link suggests they are.

(It might be a good idea to opt for a 4-hole canister if a single-bottle refillable system is being contemplated, as the contents-level gauge on this type of container should be more accurate than the gauge used on the more common 2-hole bottle.)

Get rid of the gas locker and bottles completely and get an underslung LPG tank fitted.

You gain extra space in the van and you'll never pay for overpriced gas refills again.

Get the three adapters for Europe that fit the standard UK bayonet fitting and you can get gas anywhere in Europe without the hassle of bottle adapters and horrendous prices for campground refills.

Repsol in Spain and Total in France have GPL at most larger city service stations and it is available on all the well traveled motorways and most service station carry adapters, but having your own as a backup means no hassles while you are traveling.

Our van came with it as standard equipment and it works brilliantly. To fill a 20litre tank in Spain cost around €10.

Pete-B - 2013-07-03 9:25 PM

hi, Stalwart, thanks for replying was that £300 fitted or did you do it yourself?

Hi Pete, I fitted the system myself. Other than having to drill some holes in the locker floor to support the filler, it's all 'plug and play' just screw together.

Oh, and 'Stalwart' is apparently my status on the forum, whatever it stands for! B-)

Guest JudgeMental
crinklystarfish - 2013-07-04 2:26 PM

Gaslow systems. Very shouty and brightly coloured, and adequate. Hats off to their marketing skills.

Indeed....... have never appealed for that reason TBO:D

I guess if you have a particularly small van underslung may be an idea. but personally prefer the bottles as easy to move from vehicle to vehicle. I had an underslung before and they can corrode with all the muck and road filth

I had a problem with my stako system and needed new connections. Gas it were so supportive, I emailed pics etc..and they were great and prices keen as well...

I had 2 x 11kg bottles fitted to my first motorhome some 9/10 years ago, when I changed motorhomes had them moved to the new vehicle. Expensive to fit (about £400, I think) but as I travel extensively through Europe for 6+ weeks at a time I reckon I am now in pocket.

As well as saving money, the two major plusses are:

1) never having to struggle with lifting and manoeuvring heavy Calor bottles. I know lighter bottles are now available (but not when I made my decision) but you still have to struggle to remove and replace them from some motorhome gas lockers!

2) being able to top up my gas throughout Europe. Previously I had to replace partly full Calor bottles with new ones to ensure I had enough gas for Europe or buy a 'local' bottle and fittings.

Pete-B - 2013-07-03 8:08 PM

Hi,

I've got two 6kg calor lite bottles fitted and just considering if it would be worth fitting or having fitted two refillable Gaslow bottles.

Thanks for any help.

Pete,

But first I would look at your gas usage and decide if it will be worth the initial outlay.

How often do you have to replace a 6 kg Lite at present?

If a 6 kg Lite refill costs £19.80 (Go-Outdoors price) and a pair of Gaslow 6 kg are going to cost you circa £300 plus let's say £7.50 to refill each one then you will save £12.30 on each Lite refill.

Therefore you will have to use the equivalent of 24 Calor Lite cylinders to recoup your outlay.

Obviously there will be less manhandling of cylinders involved but for me that would be a downside as I only ever swap cylinders at home and Gaslow would mean that I would have to make a special trip out to refill or find a filling station selling LPG.

So sorry but for me it's a no brainer, I'm sticking with standard Calor 13 kg refillables as the savings will be even less.

I'm sure others will have different arguments but this is my take on the matter.

Keith.

Keithl - 2013-07-04 5:44 PM

Obviously there will be less manhandling of cylinders involved but for me that would be a downside as I only ever swap cylinders at home and Gaslow would mean that I would have to make a special trip out to refill or find a filling station selling LPG.

Keith.

No special trip required, as one bottle becomes empty I just call in the next garage selling LPG and top up.

Archived