Gaslow

atom13

Hi guys,

I'm new to motorhome-ing and would like some advice. I've just bought a used motorhome with 2 propane-lite bottles. One is connected to the regulator by a propane hose; the other is connected via a gaslow hose with a red wheel to tighten it.

Is it OK to use the gaslow hose to connect to a propane (calorgas) bottle or should I change it ?

Your comments on gaslow and gas it systems are very interesting. It's got me thinking....

Alan

The Gaslow hose is perfectly OK to use, and the Red Wheel is easier to use than a cheap spanner (I always used to skin my knuckles when I used one) Gaslow also do a Stainless steel hose, with red wheel,that doesn't need replacing for 20 years ! and it is supposed to help get rid of 'Gummed up' regulators, so i got one. Ray

atom13

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums.

Gaslow markets a wide range of gas hoses ('pigtails').

Some of these are specifically designed to connect to propane gas-bottles having the traditional UK-norm outlet-valve and these pigtails will have a 'POL' left-hand threaded male connector at the gas-bottle end. The POL connector of some of these Gaslow propane-specific pigtails has a solid metal end and requires a spanner to tighten, while the end of the POL connector of other Gaslow propane-suitable pigtails has a rubber 'cone' and there's a red plastic hand-wheel. Gaslow calls the latter type of POL connector "Propane Easy-Fit" and (as Ray says) attaching an Easy-Fit pigtail to a propane bottle does not require a spanner to obtain gas-tightness.

Gaslow refillable gas-bottles have an outlet-valve with the same connector-fitting as used on traditional UK butane gas-bottles and the pigtail for connecting to a Gaslow bottle needs a "21.8 LH butane" end-fitting. A 21.8 LH end-fitting is the norm for French gas-bottles and Gaslow also markets a variety of adapters to fit 21.8 LH pigtails allowing many non-UK gas-bottles to be used. These adapters include an Easy-Fit fitting that will convert a 21.8 LH pigtail to the UK POL connection.

If your hose with the red wheel on it has the Easy-Fit adapter (rather that the wheel-fitting being an integral part of the hose) it's quite likely that a previous owner of your motorhome had a refillable Gaslow bottle that was removed when the motorhome was sold.

Gaslow products are listed here:

http://www.gaslow.co.uk/pages/products/list_1.htm

If you want to check the level of (liquid) gas in a non-refillable cylinder then you need a Dometic gas level checker pen.

I picked one up on offer at the AT factory rally and it really is brilliant. You can determine the level of liquid to within maybe a quarter of an inch which is far more accurate than any float gauge I have seen.

The only downside is that as they work on ultrasonics they do not work on refillables due to the float, etc inside upsetting the signal.

The guy demo'ing them was using baby wipes to clean and 'wet' the cylinder to improve the reading but I have found that aerosol silicon oil spray is far better (and what the instructions recommend).

Keith.

Archived