From caravan to motorhome - advice please.

candapack

candapack - 2013-07-09 11:34 AM

Oh dear - didn't mean to cause any trouble. Honestly, ALL the advice has been useful.

Just one question, maybe me being thick, but what is an OP?

(And it better not be Old Person!)

Your soon get used to the banter on hear just go with the flow & pick out the info that's useful to you.

Old Person = Motorhome owner :D

OP = Original Post

Don't worry about upsetting people, during the time I have been following this forum I've come to the conclusion that there is a certain number of people on here who, for want of a better phrase, enjoy being extremely controversial and confrontational and at times downright rude, I suspect they're quite enjoying their little selves and as the previous post says you just filter out what is irrelevant or of no use to you.....now watch for the response !!!!!

Guest pelmetman
lennyhb - 2013-07-09 12:14 PM

Your soon get used to the banter on hear just go with the flow & pick out the info that's useful to you.

Old Person = Motorhome owner :D

OP = Original Post

Correction Lenny ;-) ................some of us have had campers to play with from our early 20's...............and owned one in our mid to late 20's B-)..........

Cannot advise on your particular requirements, but can say, from experience:

1) What you think you want is not, invariably, what you find that you want / need, after experience. We “knew” what we wanted – we’d been haunting motorhome dealers along the A38 from Bristol to Exeter for very, very, many years, deciding what we wanted for our retirement years.

After 18 months and 4 long trips – 2 to 3 months each time - in our “dream” vehicle, we realised we had to change, much as we loved our original choice.

2) This idea that you HAVE to move on every few days or so if you have a motorhome is NOT writ on the logbook. Typically, on a 2 or 3 month trip, we will have a “holiday” [or two], where we will stay put [caravan fashion] for a week, sometimes two. Heresy to motorhomers we know, but a bit of R&R, when we relax, use our bikes to get about, and just have a break from the short breaks.

3) Hang on to the caravan AS WELL, if at all possible. We have done so. Returning from 2 months in Europe in our motorhome, we have just taken our caravan from its “winter shroud” to prepare for our summer UK trips. And often, during our European meanderings, we say, “This would be a good place to bring the caravan for a long stay holiday.”

For us, it’s not a case of “either / or”, but “both”… for different uses / types of touring / types of trips.

Cheers

Gwen

Personally I would take a trip to Europe with the caravan and see how you get on before making any decision. After all many thousands of people have happily toured Europe with caravans over the years. I am slightly doubtful that after such a long time with one form of camping you would easily settle into another. There are differences between motorhomes and caravans and these can be difficult to absorb until quite a long time has passed.

I am not knocking motorhomes at all, I have owned one myself as well as a caravan, it is just that they do require a different outlook on camping. One thing you will notice is the smaller living space unless you go for a very large motorhome. Another is that rattles will be with you and there are many tales of towels being stuffed in various places. Packing everything before you move anywhere is also an issue some like, or dislike. You also will be unlikely to have a big awning to increase your living space, although a roll out canopy can be a form of alternative. Of course having it all separate eliminates these issues. A caravan around 6 meters offers a lot more living space than a similar motorhome as of course you do not have the cab to contend with. Although you can use the cab as seating, it is not the same. Also on site even for a short time you have no immediate mobility as you would with a car. Shopping has to be planned a little bit more carefully, not impossible, just different. Of course there are also advantages with a smallish motorhome and the ability to move from place to place rapidly is one of them. Also the ability to use Aires and maybe even a bit of wild camping are other advantages.

My only concern is that you need to really explore the differences and be sure you can accept them. Having a caravan is no barrier to touring Europe, many of us have been doing it for years. I would think about it carefully before making a jump you may regret. What you currently have is not an impediment to your plans and maybe exploring trips with some of the Clubs such as the C&CC would give you an introduction to EU touring. Then I feel you would be better placed to make an accurate decision.

Dave225 - 2013-07-12 10:06 PM

Personally I would take a trip to Europe with the caravan and see how you get on before making any decision. After all many thousands of people have happily toured Europe with caravans over the years. I am slightly doubtful that after such a long time with one form of camping you would easily settle into another. There are differences between motorhomes and caravans and these can be difficult to absorb until quite a long time has passed.

I am not knocking motorhomes at all, I have owned one myself as well as a caravan, it is just that they do require a different outlook on camping. One thing you will notice is the smaller living space unless you go for a very large motorhome. Another is that rattles will be with you and there are many tales of towels being stuffed in various places. Packing everything before you move anywhere is also an issue some like, or dislike. You also will be unlikely to have a big awning to increase your living space, although a roll out canopy can be a form of alternative. Of course having it all separate eliminates these issues. A caravan around 6 meters offers a lot more living space than a similar motorhome as of course you do not have the cab to contend with. Although you can use the cab as seating, it is not the same. Also on site even for a short time you have no immediate mobility as you would with a car. Shopping has to be planned a little bit more carefully, not impossible, just different. Of course there are also advantages with a smallish motorhome and the ability to move from place to place rapidly is one of them. Also the ability to use Aires and maybe even a bit of wild camping are other advantages.

My only concern is that you need to really explore the differences and be sure you can accept them. Having a caravan is no barrier to touring Europe, many of us have been doing it for years. I would think about it carefully before making a jump you may regret. What you currently have is not an impediment to your plans and maybe exploring trips with some of the Clubs such as the C&CC would give you an introduction to EU touring. Then I feel you would be better placed to make an accurate decision.

We had no trouble adjusting to motorhoming. None at all. If you are an experienced “camper” [in the all-inclusive sense of the word] you will adjust accordingly.

Having caravanned and camped from the age of 3, to the age of 63 when we acquired a motorhome, I loved motorhoming the minute we bought one.

True, we keep the caravan [and some tents!] but use it now only in the UK for specific purposes.

But, re-reading the OP, I see that s/he has only ever caravanned in the UK. Yes, agree with Dave, do try using the caravan in Europe first. We caravanned / camped “over there” for many years before deciding that we’d like a motorhome, and we toured about quite a bit. [Not sure I’d like to go back to pitching and striking a tent frequently now though…. Bit past that I think, sadly!]

Cheers

Gwen

Gwendolyn - 2013-07-12 10:28 PM

Dave225 - 2013-07-12 10:06 PM

We had no trouble adjusting to motorhoming. None at all. If you are an experienced “camper” [in the all-inclusive sense of the word] you will adjust accordingly.

Having caravanned and camped from the age of 3, to the age of 63 when we acquired a motorhome, I loved motorhoming the minute we bought one.

True, we keep the caravan [and some tents!] but use it now only in the UK for specific purposes.

But, re-reading the OP, I see that s/he has only ever caravanned in the UK. Yes, agree with Dave, do try using the caravan in Europe first. We caravanned / camped “over there” for many years before deciding that we’d like a motorhome, and we toured about quite a bit. [Not sure I’d like to go back to pitching and striking a tent frequently now though…. Bit past that I think, sadly!]

Cheers

Gwen

Trying to 'diplomatically' make suggestions is not easy on a motorhome forum. Both caravans and motorhomes have their good points, and bad ones, it all depends on your life style. As for 'striking a tent frequently' dare I suggest that one can easily move a caravan off a pitch as quickly or otherwise, if not awning is in situ.. Motorhomers often tow trailers with cars on them and this can take a long time to get set up to move. Many caravanners own Eribas which being small are easily moved, and they go as many out of the way places, and still have the tow vehicle to sightsee. Nothing is cast in stone.

The other thing i did not mention is that unless one enters at the very cheap end of the market buying a motorhome is not a cheap business and the forecourts of dealers are full of low mileage models being sold by people who thought the idea was great, and then found otherwise. Big money losses can be a result.

I feel the OP has to consider what are his/her priorities. If touring Europe is the objective then this can be done many ways and spending a lot of cash need not be required. If being a motorhomer is the objective then possibly hiring one for a fortnight would be a good idea to see if they like the idea, before opening the wallet.

All I can say is after 20 odd years of caravanning we took to a Motorhome like ducks to water. We find it so much easier, yes you do have to change the way you do things but mainland Europe is geared up for Motorhomes and that's where you say you want to go with it. Only concession we have made is we don't bother using it in the UK much it's just too much hassle, we don't do booking we like to go somewhere then just find somewhere to stop the night.

lennyhb - 2013-07-15 10:46 AM

All I can say is after 20 odd years of caravanning we took to a Motorhome like ducks to water. We find it so much easier, yes you do have to change the way you do things but mainland Europe is geared up for Motorhomes and that's where you say you want to go with it. Only concession we have made is we don't bother using it in the UK much it's just too much hassle, we don't do booking we like to go somewhere then just find somewhere to stop the night.

You state 'mainland Europe is geared up for motorhomes' and all I would say is 'yes and no'. Yes, there are servicing points and yes, there are aires but those in themselves do not make it significantly better. Parking a large vehicle, or having to pack everything away if you wish to visit the shops are still issues. Many motorhomers also like to wild camp for example but even that is becoming ever more regulated. We are just back from SE Spain and the Guardia Civil were moving all motorhomes from the beach areas where they had parked. They do not mind so much off season but from mid June to September, they are not so keen. Also a number of sites will not allow motorhomes to stay for less than 3 nights as they are tired of being used as 'dumps' quite literally. Some will argue that in a recession any business is better than nothing, but not if it is not cost effective.

Of course I am not suggesting it is all 100% one way or the other. What I am trying to say is that both styles of camping are just as popular as ever and one should consider the end objective, which is to have a good, and presumably relatively cheap, stay in Europe. Saving 5 euros per night between a site and an aire will take a while to recuperate possibly £30k on a purchase. One should look at the big picture and think long term. The majority of winter vacationers for example tend to use caravans (usually of a good'ish vintage) and awnings as this allows them to fulfill their requirements for 6 month stays. A similar analogy is my daughter has just bought a new car and her road tax is £30 per annum compared to my £250, good for her, but to buy a similar vehicle would cost me money which would take a long time to get back the difference, so.................I stick with what I have.

If you are rich then of course the Hotel de Ville in Monaco is always available. We are in room 1103 overlooking the Med by the way???

Archived